• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP - Eckhert Place or Wyndham Riverside Suites?

swsc16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to ask some help. We will have our first trip to Texas this late June/July 4th weekend. We are a family of 4 (2 kids, 9yo and 4yo). We plan to stay in San Antonio for a week (after my son's taekwondo competition in Dallas). We live in SoCAL area.

I already have a confirmed reservation for Eckhert Place, through Platinum Interchange, 2 bedrooms. I'm pretty happy about it, but I thought I just try my luck and also had an ongoing search in RCI for San Antonio timeshares.

Well, what do you know, my search has a match today, at Wyndham Riverside Suites!

So, here's the comparison that I'm dealing with:

Eckhert Place - exchange fee already paid ($129 with platinum interchange), and nonrefundable. More spacious 2 bedroom unit (and I heard the units are BIG and clean!), but not in a central location (although we will have a car throughout the week). Also, I used my deposit week in P.I., which I got from their 3-in-1 special. Reservation is from 6/30, checkout 7/7 -- exactly the dates I need, I'll be able to use all 7 nights.

Wyndham Riverside Suites -- RCI exchange fee $189, parking fee 12/day (so total of 72 for 6 days), trading power of 19 (I do have a deposit with TPU 19). And the dates are 6/29 to 7/6, I'll be able to use only 6 nights, won't be able to use the first night. So it's additional cost of about $390 (which is 189 + 72 + 129 nonrefundable P.I. exchange fee). Also, smaller (and older) 1BR unit. But the plus side, is it's right on the Riverwalk!

Can I ask for all your advise and opinion, what should I choose? Please consider I have kids 9yo and 4yo.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:

swsc16

TUG Member
Reaction score
So in other words, is the additional cost of $390 worth it to cancel my P.I. reservation, to stay in Wyndham Riverside suites?

It's our first time in Texas, due to my son's Taekwondo Nationals competition in Dallas. Not sure when we'll be back in TX, maybe after 3-4 years when the National competition moves back again in Dallas.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its right on Riverwalk...whats that worth to you?

I havent stayed at either place but here is what Wyndham says about riverwalk

Resort was built in 1928, completely renovated in 2000
One bedroom plus and two bedroom plus units have stairs to upper floor (no elevator)
Urban resorts have smaller rooms than most rural or tropical properties
All units at this resort offer a mini kitchen including a microwave, refrigerator and dual stovetop burners; an oven is not available
Parking is in an off-site garage, half a block away from the resort, parking fees for each vehicle is $12 per day
Unloading areas around the resort are limited, please call the resort directly for specific instructions prior to your arrival
Restaurants and convenience stores in walking distance; grocery store: 10-minute drive

Does your 1 bedroom have one bath or two? the two bath one bedroom is called a One bedroom plus and the bedroom is up stairs

I can post floor plans at riverside if you need them

I dont think that there is a pool

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved Riverside suites on the River walk. It was just my husband and me. We loved the location and the historic building. The staircase is spiral and the unit is small. I was glad no one was trying to use the sleeper. I think most of the 1 br units are small. It is difficult to trade into but I would not advise trying to cram a family in that unit.

swsc16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Ron and momeason. I'm sort of leaning on keeping my confirmed reservation in Eckhert Place. On Tripadvisor, there are reviews on Wyndham Riverside that are not good, same on tug reviews.

I think with my 2 active kids, we will need more space, specially if we're staying for a week. I think if my choice was Eckhert Place vs. Wyndham La Cascada, I would choose La Cascada (even with the addtl cost).

I'm sure we will be visiting Riverwalk for a few days, so I don't think I'll miss anything if we're staying offsite in Eckhert.

I still have until Thursday for the RCI hold, so I'll keep thinking about it.
Thanks again!

swsc16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron, it just says '1 bedroom', not sure if it's a '1 bedroom plus', and it doesn't say how many bathrooms.

jancpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
swsc 16

We exchanged into La Cascade last October and loved it. We visited the Riverside Suites on our Riverwalk excursion. Although centrally located, it was a liitle too historic for my tastes. I think you will appreciate the extra room at Eckhart Place.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Riverwalk is ONE area in San Antonio --- and it is lots of fun and very scenic.

However, with small children, I think that you are better off at Eckert Place because the location is better for almost everything else there is to do -

My top recommendations would be:
SeaWorld
Hill Country (horseback riding in Bandera)
Schlitterbanh (an amazing water park) in Fredericksburg

And the Riverwalk will be HOT and MUGGY during that time of year. Not exactly how you would want to spend your time.

While you were in Dallas, you might want to take a sidetrip over here to Fort Worth to see the stockyards. Then head down I35W to San Antonio.

elaine

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
And the Riverwalk will be HOT and MUGGY during that time of year. Not exactly how you would want to spend your time.
EVERYTHING in San Antonio will be hot and muggy in June/July.

I got a confirmed exchange earlier this year for a week this summer in San Antonio, then I couldn't figure out why I would want to be there then so I cancelled the hold.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
We've been to both!!

I am happy to say that we have been to both.

I personally think that with the children, Eckhert Place would be better for you. Lots of room in the unit!! Lots! (not so much in the Wyn. even the website says "Urban resorts have smaller rooms than most rural or tropical properties")

Parking right there and easy to get in and out - not so with the Wyn - it's down the street in a parking garage....not even counting the extra cost. ($12/day the website says. Note also: "Unloading areas around the resort are limited." It was tricky unloading even with 2 adults.)

Eckhert has a nice pool on site, easy to get to, also full kitchen.

It is very much like a residential condo - of course, it is in a residential area. But it makes it like a home.

Only a very small kitchen at the Wyn Website quotes: .." mini kitchen including a microwave, refrigerator and dual stovetop burners; an oven is not available"

We loved the Rverside Suites, since we like historic places and decore. But it was small and might be more difficult with the children...and how often will you be going to the Riverwalk? -- there are many other things to do and see which the chidlren would enjoy also in the greater area.

I have photos of Eckhert - of course Wyn has photos on theifr website.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I concur - as long as you have a car, stay at Eckert. If it was just a single or a couple, the Riverwalk would take precedence but for your family not a small unit with no pool or no public outdoor space. Funtime

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
EVERYTHING in San Antonio will be hot and muggy in June/July.

I got a confirmed exchange earlier this year for a week this summer in San Antonio, then I couldn't figure out why I would want to be there then so I cancelled the hold.

There were some late June weeks at Hyatt Wild Oak earlier this year(when DH was getting antsy about our ongoing search) after looking at the weather trends we decided to pass and wait on the ongoing(Colorado summer).

swsc16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I don't get a chance to be active here in Tug, but grateful to Tuggers for always responding when I need something. :cheer:

Based on all your feedback (and all my other research), I'm convinced we'll just stay in Eckhert. This is (hopefully) mostly a relaxing vacation (after my son's grueling Taekwondo training and competition). So we maybe staying in our unit more than usual, and we need a very comfortable place to stay.

And I can just save my TPUs. Next year, the Taekwondo Nationals looks like it will be in Orlando.... so hopefully, I can get DVC next year in July 4th weekend (ha! good luck to me).

Joan, yes I appreciate if you can show me your pictures of Eckhert. I've seen some in several websites, and also from http://eckhertplace.com/, but I'd love to see your pics as well, thank you!!

Watch out for my next email in the next few weeks, about my itinerary/activities/schedule in San Antonio.... I've been researching, and it looks like there's more than enough to do for a week! It's exciting to be a first timer in Texas.

Thanks again :wave:

swsc16

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, my husband and I were born and raised in the Philippines, so we know for sure, what 'hot and muggy' is! TX summer is probably mild compared to the Philippines :)
My kids though are born here in CA, but they're not allowed to complain LOL :) or they can complain, but it won't matter :rofl:

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I can just save my TPUs. Next year, the Taekwondo Nationals looks like it will be in Orlando.... so hopefully, I can get DVC next year in July 4th weekend (ha! good luck to me).
Get your ongoing search in ASAP and be flexibile on the resort. Holiday weeks don't always get deposited, so you'll want to be near the top of the ongoing search list if you want a chance.

By the way, my husband and I were born and raised in the Philippines, so we know for sure, what 'hot and muggy' is! TX summer is probably mild compared to the Philippines :)
My kids though are born here in CA, but they're not allowed to complain LOL :) or they can complain, but it won't matter :rofl:
You might have been born and raised in the Philippines (and I'm sure it's worse there), but you get acclimated pretty quickly. Still, you'll have an advantage over people who haven't lived in the heat and humidity.

Yes, tons of things to do in San Antonio. I'm sure you'll love it.

jancpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to put Six Flags Fiesta Texas on your list of things to consider!