• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Resorts in Kona on the Big Island

RJAYL

Reaction score
Looking at buying a resale at either WYNDHAM KONA HAWAIIAN RESORT or WYNDHAM ROYAL SEA CLIFF in Kona.

I have no experience with Wyndham resorts what are the downsides of buying resale, will you still be able to reserve into your home resort or will it be a pain?

Does anyone have first hand experience/knowledge with either of these resorts or recommendations ? :confused:

Any info Other Timeshare resorts in the area would be welcome!:D

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I haven't read through these articles but hope you have perused the following sub-forum in the Wyndham forum.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128302

And while I appreciate you want to buy in Hawaii, your question seems more towards buying Wyndham resale that happens to be in Hawaii. The Wyndham forum might be the place to ask your post to be moved to.

Good on you for buying resale - definitely the way to go, and I doubt you will find much in the way of downside.

As an aside, I have stayed at the Sea Cliff but not at the other Wyndham resort in Kona, but have driven by. The Sea Cliff is an older resort, very large units. I expect the other resort is a step up, as it's quite a bit newer, closer to the centre of town. Units may be smaller.

Bev

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Sea Cliffs is on the ocean side of Alii drive and Kona Hawaiian is on the inland
Side of Alii drive. KH has large units also and if your going to walk into Kona,
KH is closer.

Vacations Internationale has Sea Village on the ocean side of Alii drive and closer
To Kona. Nice units just redone but no AC. VI has a good number of Hawaii
Resorts but I would class them a step down from Wyndham. The mf's are
Cheaper though and they do have other units spread out through but mostly on
The west coast and Canada.

RJAYL

Reaction score
I haven't read through these articles but hope you have perused the following sub-forum in the Wyndham forum.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128302

And while I appreciate you want to buy in Hawaii, your question seems more towards buying Wyndham resale that happens to be in Hawaii. The Wyndham forum might be the place to ask your post to be moved to.

Good on you for buying resale - definitely the way to go, and I doubt you will find much in the way of downside.

As an aside, I have stayed at the Sea Cliff but not at the other Wyndham resort in Kona, but have driven by. The Sea Cliff is an older resort, very large units. I expect the other resort is a step up, as it's quite a bit newer, closer to the centre of town. Units may be smaller.

Bev

Thanks Bev, I am looking for a bit of both, the Wyndham resorts seem to be the nicest in Kona, have resale offers on Marriott's in Maui & Kuai! I like the idea of spending a month Island hopping . Currently DVC is my only timeshare that I own since 2002 bought half resale half DVC so this is all a learning experience for me.:eek:

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why buy anything in Hawaii with the huge annual fees when you can buy something (perhaps even free) resale at a Sheraton, for example, with annual fee ~ $900 ?? Then you just trade through II, RCI, etc.

RJAYL

Reaction score
Why buy anything in Hawaii with the huge annual fees when you can buy something (perhaps even free) resale at a Sheraton, for example, with annual fee ~ $900 ?? Then you just trade through II, RCI, etc.

I have not had good experience's trying to book / trade with my DVC points!

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not had good experience's trying to book / trade with my DVC points!

I understand. 4 years in a row now, I have traded my Sheratons for 2 weeks in HI. In II there's not much good to trade for on the big island, but we get Marriott Ko Olina, Westin Princeville, and/or Westin Kaanapali, Marriott Kaanapali. I get my requests in a year in advance tho...

bearcatjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk
Stayed a week at KH. Nice room and grounds but put into a very disappointing room location on the edge of the property, no view except the trashed out rental next door, which I chalk up to trading in with TPI during February when the resort as very busy. If you own there I would expect you get a much better unit location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Satyed about 10 times on Big Island

We have stayed 6 or 7 times at the Kona Resort now managed???? by Whyndam. The last time we stayed was the first WHyndam visit. The resort was going down hill. We are going again the end of November for a week and will see if there are improvements. we have also stayed at Seacliff and while it is on the ocean side there are not that many good ocean views. W eprefer being closer to town in the Hawaii style Whyndam units.
We happen to own a CA coast week Whyndam has taken over and the only improvement we saw on our first visit was an improvement in MANAGEMENT FEES. The fees went way up. Hope our next year visit shows some real improvement in the resort.
We own four Waikiki Banyan one bedroom weeks and they will trade well for the Big Island Resorts in Trading Places. Done about 20 trades in the last ten years. Little in II or SFX where i have tried to trade but not very successfully yet.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Points are points are points. Wherever you own in Wyndham you can book anywhere in the system. We've gone to Kona Hawaiian resort and sea cliff and also Mauna Loa and do not own in Hawaii. In fact, we're leaving tuesday for 6 weeks in Kona and will be 3 week at Kona Hawaiian, 1 week at Sea Cliff and. 2 weeks at Sea Village. My brother lives there , so we ll stay with them the 5 days prior to moving to the timeshare weeks.

Check my blog for information on the resorts....