• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Mega Renter witness interview request?

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get this email? I'm wondering where this person harvested email addresses for this solicitation - maybe from that Wyndham "slip" a couple years back where they contacted a bunch of Platinum owners with their addresses visible in the message?

BTW, I hardly fall into the Mega Renter category and I won't be participating in their legal action! If I rent 3 units a year, it's a lot!

This is NOT an attempt to collect a debt, market a product, or buy your timeshare.

Dear Wyndham Owner / Mega Renter,

My name is Kevin McCain, I'm an attorney from Birmingham, Alabama (see http://www.trimaclaw.com/ ) and I'd like to talk to you about Wyndham.

I represent a number of Wyndham owners, referred to as Mega Renters(an owner with multiple contracts who rents rooms for $ using VIP benefits), who are currently litigating with Wyndham. After investigation and discovery(normal disclosures between parties prior to trial)it appears that you are a Wyndham Mega Renter also.
Because you likely experienced Wyndham's conduct toward Mega Renters first hand, your experiences could be evidence demonstrating Wyndham's pattern of conduct and it's consistency with the conduct alleged in the pending lawsuits.
Please respond with your contact # and a time for a call back, or call 1-800-257-6031 to talk to an attorney. Responding does not obligate you to participate in any way. I am happy to answer any questions and interview you about your ownership.

Additional firm information and information about pattern and practice evidence is available at http://www.trimaclaw.com/ or when you call. Please call 1-800-257-6031 or email today. You are under no obligation to respond.

Sincerely,
Kevin M. McCain
Attorney at Law

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it yesterday too

Yes, I'm thinking our info got out in the "Wyndham slip" too. Wonder if it was someone like this who wanted it in the first place. Otherwise how would anyone else know "in their records or research" what my Wyndham status and email is?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they are in litigation, the contact information for other similarly sized owners, would not be difficult to obtain, during the discovery process

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they are in litigation, the contact information for other similarly sized owners, would not be difficult to obtain, during the discovery process
That's my thought as well. It is entirely possible that Wyndham had to produce a list of owners who met some particular criteria as part of the discovery process.

jebloomquist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Sedona, Panama City, Canterbury, Angel Fire, Royal Garden
Just what is, or are the characteristics of, a mega-renter?

I see this label thrown around often, so can anyone quantify just what "mega-renter" means to them? Is it number of Wyndham points? Is it usage of Wyndham points? Is it usage of other owner's points? Is it a good thing, or a bad thing?

Is it such that you can't describe it, but you know it when you see it?

I would think that Wyndham uses the mega-renters to bring new potential owners through the door with no real advertising cost to Wyndham. I don't think that Wyndham wants to kill the mega-renter, what ever that label means.

Jim

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

I see this label thrown around often, so can anyone quantify just what "mega-renter" means to them? Is it number of Wyndham points? Is it usage of Wyndham points? Is it usage of other owner's points? Is it a good thing, or a bad thing?

I would think that Wyndham uses the mega-renters to bring new potential owners through the door with no real advertising cost to Wyndham. I don't think that Wyndham wants to kill the mega-renter, what ever that label means.

Jim

I have often thought the same thing... Wyndham doesn't necessarily want to kill the "mega-renter", and they get free marketing as a result. However, they have to walk a bit of a tightrope between this class of owner and the "casual" owner who may have bought a couple of small points packages and has trouble using their Silver VIP benefit because of the actions of mega-landlords (don't know why we call them mega-renters, that's not what they are).

Whether it's a "good thing" or a "bad thing" is in the eye of the beholder. It's bad if you're a regular owner trying to book a reservation and everything you want is taken by speculative reservations that get released at Day 16 before check-in. It's good if you're a renter that wants nice accommodations at good prices - often better than regular owners. It's great if you're a clever landlord that has figured how to rent out millions of points at a good margin.

I guess my definition would be that to be considered in this category you would be running multiple accounts due to hitting the 40 limit or needing to max out guest certs and renting out 20M+ points a year.

Now let's see how long it takes Ron P. to jump in and pretend to join the suit so he can get hold of the list.

:hysterical:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will if you will Eric.

The real mega renters dont own their points they manage for others. Like this guy

http://vacationstrategy.com/

"With hundreds of millions of points under management"

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok I called, and had a nice conversation with the attorney.. but Im not going to say here what we talked about... If you want to know what he is up to, call him yourself, or if you want my reaction, call me

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the definition of mega renter is the same as the definition of rich. If you ask someone, they aren't going to think they are because there is always someone who does/has more. Surveys have shown something like 97% of all people consider themselves middle class. Now to contradict everything I just said, I know I would fall into the mega renter category but I do hundreds of reservations a year and I wouldn't consider myself close "to the line".

I also agree with Rob. Wyndham isn't out to kill the mega renter. They are just looking to see how much they can squeeze them. Mega renters give Wyndham thousands of extra dollars in guest fees a year that a regular owner wouldn't. That is over and above the maintenance fees.

Jason

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never got the e-mail. I would not join as the payout could not nearly be enough.

lcml11

Reaction score

Jim

I was on the list that was released by Wyndham that was referred to earlier. Wyndham Sales awhile ago indicated that I was a mega rentor due to owning a little over 1 Million points. My rental activity is insignificant. Family, Friends. From what I saw Wyndham sales definition is tied to number of points and not actual rental activity. The mega rentor status did not bother the sales rep to much, they wanted to sell me more points. This information is older to, but a number of locations sales staff would piitch variations of buy to rent and they would get the rentals for you. One sales rep that was offering this service said the way it worked was Extra Holidays paid him 15 percent to get the unit rented and they would provide him the dates needed.

Apparently, the problem with the Mega Rentor comes in is when a large point holder does not go the sales rep and Extra Holidays to do the rental. The Count on Me program was one program this feature was being pitched under.

The Old Town Alexandria program had a interesting variation. The Wyndham Sales Rep is your rental agent then the rentals would occur through his wife into the England market.

Those are the only two specific avenues that I am aware of. The others lacked detail.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, Jason, Eric

If Robert is "mega" with just over a million points what's that make us?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, Jason, Eric

Well based on points I think that makes you 3 "Giga" renters. I'm still mired in "quasi-mega" status.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer to be the "invisible" owner.

The sales department plays to the "EGO" of ALL owners. Me and my little old pick'm up truck. And I can be found drinking my beer at the Tiki bar, too.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer to be the "invisible" owner.

The sales department plays to the "EGO" of ALL owners. Me and my little old pick'm up truck. And I can be found drinking my beer at the Tiki bar, too.

Sorry Linda, I forgot you,,,,that doesnt mean you are invisible,,,only that Im getting to old to remember stuff... every time I try to remember something new, I forget something old.

I havent forgotten that I owe you a PM...ill get to that later

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just sitting at my "at home" Tiki bar -- drinking coffee, Ron.

Enjoying a quiet weekend ....

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe Deane Gable of yore coined the phrase and used in conjunction with renters who caused EH to lose business.

Think transferring points between owners.

Last edited:

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, Jason, Eric

Ummmm Doing something right? lol When we were at Glacier Canyon this past weekend. I was officially told i was black listed because I was a mega renter. Not that it really affects me at all since I have never paid for a single point from wyndham sales. Long live Resale VIP!

Jason

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ummmm Doing something right? lol When we were at Glacier Canyon this past weekend. I was officially told i was black listed because I was a mega renter. Not that it really affects me at all since I have never paid for a single point from wyndham sales. Long live Resale VIP!

Jason

I haven't been told officially but I'm also not invited to attend updates anymore either. My feelings aren't hurt. I figure I can always find out about the newest lies here anyway.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Anyone else get this email? I'm wondering where this person harvested email addresses for this solicitation - maybe from that Wyndham "slip" a couple years back where they contacted a bunch of Platinum owners with their addresses visible in the message?

Interestingly, Kent McClain PMd me today to say he was interested in a comment I made about the advantages of different use years and he would love me to call and discuss it, as he was representing several people suing Wyndham in Alabama. I thought it seemed familiar, and found this thread on search.

I advised him that it had been discussed a few times, and a search would turn it up.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
still Fishing

My name is Kent McCain and I am an attorney in Alabama who represents several Wyndham owners who have sued Wyndham for alleged fraud among other torts.

I would be very interested in talking to you about what your experience has been with Wyndham on the Cancel / rebook benefit.

My cell phone is nnn-nnn-nnnn and e mail is Redacted

You're welcome to call me anytime or e mail me with your contact info,

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just can't get over spending over $2M on points direct from Wyndham. Wow. Do you happen to know the status of that case?

I dont know any more than what I posted.

Id be pissed too if I spent $2mm. On the other hand Id be happy if I had $2mm to spend. I dont get the sense that this was all their money