• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another Rescind Question [merged]

MrsM52304

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all: I am new here. My husband and I were dopes and bought into a Sheraton (now Vistana) Flex vacation package while in Myrtle Beach last week.

We came home the next day and realized the error of our ways and immediately drafted and express mailed USPS a letter to the address on the form.

Purchase date was 8/25. deeded in FL so I have 10 days. Letter dated 8/26; express mailed and delivered saturday 8/27. I have the express mail receipt and the printed drop off receipt from when the post office scanned it in.

the cancellation clause simply stated in writing, by any mail means..didnt have to be certified or return receipt. I express mailed it for speed and sake of tracking.

I included in the letter the Loan #, date of sale, our address / contact info and typed both of our names exactly as they were printed on the documents (and we both signed above it). I stated we hereby are cancelling the sales agreement and pursuant to section whatever it is (721 something?) we are in our legal 10 day time period to do so.

I did NOT send any copies of paperwork or other materials? Should I have? Do I need to send another letter with a copy of the mortgage/loan info? I still have time.

I also called the # I found on google yesterday to get someone to confirm it was actually received. I left a VM for someone. Was that wrong? Should I not call? I just want confirmation that the document was received and being processed.

I really did not know that people buy these things for like $1 on ebay and will thoroughly spend time researching here on the best way to do this.

Thank you in advance!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

If it gives you peace of mind, you might send another rescission letter via certified/return receipt and include a COPY of the signature page of the contract for ID purposes.

This company is one of the honorable players and won't play games with the rescission like some may. You can pretty well rest assured that your rescission will go through without a hitch.

If they gave you a 'buyer's kit' or anything, you should also send that back. Get a postal receipt, and if there is anything of value in it- like a tablet- insure it.

I don't know that you'll find a lot of Sheraton/Hyatt/HGVC/Marriott timeshares on eBay for a buck, but you can certainly beat the sox off retail price from the developer. Stick around TUG. Learn. Rent a few times, then if you decide TS is for you, you will be educated and informed buyers.

Again, Welcome.

Jim

MrsM52304

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you. I think I will do that.
We did receive a big book, but the sales lady said there will be new books coming with the marriot sale and she shouldnt really be giving us the one she gave us b/c the new books would be coming in soon. I will follow up and send another letter with a copy of the contract, just for piece of mind.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Welcome to TUG and congrats on your decision to rescind and become more educated before buying.

There is a ton of information here on TUG and very many helpful folks. Sometimes, the amount of information and side-bar conversations can be overwhelming.

You don't need to be an expert to own a timeshare, but you do need to exercise 'due diligence' before investing in your vacations. While the timeshare may be 'free' or nearly so ($1), the maintenance fees and dues etc... come due every year and continue for as long as you own.

Once you've calmed down and have time to review, consider filling out the "what to buy for newbies..." questions in the link below and find out what is right for your vacation goals and desires. Be as honest as possible. Timeshares offer a great solution for spending time with family and/or loved ones (;)) and making lasting memories.

What to buy for newbies....
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208742

Welcome!

ps: consider becoming a member of TUG, it's the best $15 you'll ever spend.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I also called the # I found on google yesterday to get someone to confirm it was actually received. I left a VM for someone. Was that wrong? Should I not call? I just want confirmation that the document was received and being processed.

It sounds like your call was successful, so no harm done. The reasons we say "don't call" are:

-You often cannot reach the person or Dept. in charge of rescinding - so you talk to the wrong person.

-In many cases you will be given incorrect info. over the phone, from someone who simply does not know what they are talking about, or is intentionally misleading you.

-If you talk to sales, they will pull out all the stops to talk you out of rescinding.

-You can only rescind in writing - so talking to them on the phone has no legal standing - so no matter what they tell you, it doesn't count.

Now that you have rescinded and called, don't call again, and don't accept their calls. Let your answering machine pick up and listen to the message. At this point, chances are that any calls will be from someone trying to change your mind - don't call them back.

Many times people are afraid that they won't be allowed to rescind if they don't return their calls - NOT TRUE. Your right to rescind is established by state law. The resort does not have the authority to deny your right to rescind, as long as you rescind on time.

Now just be patient, sit back, and wait for them to process it. It can take 45 days.

If you haven't already done so, you should also send a copy of the recession, with a brief cover letter, to your credit card company, if you paid the deposit with a credit card.

Good luck! :hi:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding us in time to save a fortune!

MrsM52304

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did join and pay the membership to TUG b/c I figured it would be worthwhile with all the info on here.

also, the Sheraton office in Florida did call both me and my husband but we missed the calls. He called back and someone did confirm that our letter was received and refund will be processed within 15 days.

So I guess that is all I can ask for. :)

Look forward to reading more about the value of timeshares on here.

markgrinny

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's better to find a property you like on this forum. This is a better way to go, since you don't have to put out the $20k in advance to Vistana.

[Advertising deleted - please post it in the Bargain Deals Forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank you. I think I will do that.
We did receive a big book, but the sales lady said there will be new books coming with the marriot sale and she shouldnt really be giving us the one she gave us b/c the new books would be coming in soon. I will follow up and send another letter with a copy of the contract, just for piece of mind.

Interesting. The sale to Marriott was just the hotels, not the timeshare part. Wonder what changes in their timeshare program would result from the sale.

MrsM52304

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The sale to Marriott was just the hotels, not the timeshare part. Wonder what changes in their timeshare program would result from the sale.

b/c now the Mariott hotels are an option for booking via the timeshare. at least that is how I understood it.

MrsM52304

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind Success!

We just got our refund and a confirmation letter from the mortgage company that the rescind is complete.

Surprisingly we havent received any calls from the Sheraton Sales reps in myrtle beach. I thought for sure we would have.

thank you all for the advice. I'll be reading up on all the great info here over the next few months :) :banana::banana::banana: