• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should I buy Wyndham points?

molonlabe

Reaction score
We just returned from Ocean Walk in Daytona, have stayed there many times. We sat through a presentation, just to familiarize ourselves with the points (and to get a free 7-night stay at one of their properties).

We own 10K Bluegreen points, like BG quite a bit, but the properties are scarce. Would it make sense to buy (through ebay, TUG, etc) a Wyndham points timeshare? From what I've seen, there a a lot more Wyndham properties than BG.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. If we did pick up any points, it'd be a small-ish package (100,000 to 150,000 points), and we'd try to sell weeks/days if we could not use them all.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Ocean Walk in Daytona, have stayed there many times. We sat through a presentation, just to familiarize ourselves with the points (and to get a free 7-night stay at one of their properties).

We own 10K Bluegreen points, like BG quite a bit, but the properties are scarce. Would it make sense to buy (through ebay, TUG, etc) a Wyndham points timeshare? From what I've seen, there a a lot more Wyndham properties than BG.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. If we did pick up any points, it'd be a small-ish package (100,000 to 150,000 points), and we'd try to sell weeks/days if we could not use them all.

The answers to this question will be very subjective. I like Wyndham, though being on the West Coast, Worldmark would give me options I like better. If you're on the East Coast, I think Wyndham has some compelling dots on the map, and they don't penalize resale owners as much as some other midrange clubs do. If you decide you like the destinations Wyndham offers, it boils down to choosing a home resort based on either wanting reservation priority at that resort for hard to get dates, or wanting to minimize your maintenance fee cost. Generally speaking, there is an inverse relationship between maintenance fee per point and the resale price you'll pay.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

YOUR idea of a smallest package of 100K-150K of points is about 1 week stay in a studio or small/older 1bdr....older resorts use less points (ie that total points MIGHT buy you midweek 2 nights in NYC).

Selling weeks/days? Please read the sections on FEES for Housekeeping Credits, Reservation Transactions and Guest Certificates ($99 each) ... Wyndham does a GREAT JOB of milking owners for DOLLARS. Most owners who rent have a Platinum VIP status (1,000,000 owner brought VIP points plus added on resale contracts of a couple more million points) ... MFs hopeful 'goal' would be $5.75 per 1,000 points.

Plus the TIME to run this 'side job'.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
there is no "selling" weekdays With Wyndham you can neither sell points or make one night reservations (exceptions for orphaned nights 60 fays before check in

I wouldnt worry too much about housekeeping and transaction charges at this point, they can be managed as long as you dont do all one and two day reservations.

Having said that about housekeeping and transaction charges; buy in 77000 point increments>> the smallest new purchase I would buy is 154000 points but you really should do some planning with the directory. Plan some hypothetical vacations and figure the points you would need.

and have at least a general idea of how the credit pool works,.. Basically you can pool (some might say bank) future years points and use them now or save them for later

Here are some example reservations to help plan your use of houskeeping credits and a 154000 point contract (all one bedrooms or studios)

5 week nights one bedroom at Bonnet Creek the week before Christmas 45000 points housekeeping used = 63000 (4 nights Christmas week is 80000 points)

3 nights at the Beach in the summer (Myrtle Beach) 81000 points and 63000 housekeeping

7 nights in a studio in a studio Fairfield Glade in quiet season 28000 points and 28000 housekeeping

so if Ive added right, you have used 154000 points and 154000 housekeeping and if you make all these reservations on the same one or two days, your 2 transaction credits

mf for this would be about 1000 a year and my plan gets 15 nights so about $65 a night

or you could blow it all on a week in washington dc 154000 points for a one bedroom in the summer (if you can stand the heat and humidity) at about $150 a night... still not too bad

Put all your your points in the credit pool to give you a little more fleibility, You can use a little more one year and a little less the next.. you dont have to hit 154 on the nose each year.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with the above posts, though they have covered a very wide/general swath of info.

My questions would be this: how much vacation time does 10k BG get you and how much additional vacation time do you want with Wyndham? What size unit are you looking for and when/where do you want to travel that you can't do in BG?

After that, then you can get more focused advice on whether Wyndham might be right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Directory

Here is a link to the Wyndham directory:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/plus_membersdirectory1415/#/0

Look at it, read it, understand it and what you don't understand ask here and we will help you.

You will learn all the ins and outs of Housekeeping credits, reservation charges, VIP, etc.

Look through the point charts to see how many points you would need WHEN you want to travel. Wyndham has a multitude of options when booking, even at the same resorts. What gets you two WEEKS in one place in quiet season gets you three DAYS in another during high season! Figure out what you would use for yourselves and then go from there.

molonlabe

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your answers. You've brought up some good issues to consider.

With my current BG 10k points, depending on how we've used them, we have been able to get several getaways with the 10k points. A weekend for me and my wife here and there, family trips, etc.

It's not a matter of us NEEDING any extra points, but the thought was to maybe sell the BG and get Wyndham instead, although based on how complicated it seems to sell days, it might not be necessarily for us to make some extra cash, but to use for ourselves. So I'm going to ponder on what exactly we want to do.

Regarding the housekeeping points, do you use these up in ADDITION to using points for the stay?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
but the thought was to maybe sell the BG and get Wyndham instead, although based on how complicated it seems to sell days, it might not be necessarily for us to make some extra cash, but to use for ourselves

If you're planning to "sell" the BG and make some cash off of it, you'll want to reevaluate that. Most Bluegreen contracts have to be given away for nothing.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Regarding the housekeeping points, do you use these up in ADDITION to using points for the stay?
Yes, you are given a certain number of housekeeping credits per year. If you have a small contract it is probably enough for a single stay in a one or two bedroom units. If you like to break up your stays into several small changes look for an extra $100+ in additional housekeeping credit charges. Also if you don't plan trips kind of spur of the moment each separately then there are transaction fees of $35 each. If you ever need two rooms at the same time for family (not on the deed) or rent out a unit it is $100 for a guest cert.

Bluegreen is a lot more friendly in terms of taking shorter trips and letting guests use units or using multiple units for larger family gatherings regardless of your VIP or lack of VIP status.

molonlabe

Reaction score
If you're planning to "sell" the BG and make some cash off of it, you'll want to reevaluate that. Most Bluegreen contracts have to be given away for nothing.

No, not at all. I meant for us to make some extra cash by selling weeks from our Wyndham points (if we were to buy Wyndham).

I know that most BG contracts have to be given away, since that's how we got them... Just as a point of reference, I thing BG wanted $14,000 for 10K points, I got them on ebay for $13.00...

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not this week. At least wait to see where the chips fall.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
No, not at all. I meant for us to make some extra cash by selling weeks from our Wyndham points (if we were to buy Wyndham).

I know that most BG contracts have to be given away, since that's how we got them... Just as a point of reference, I thing BG wanted $14,000 for 10K points, I got them on ebay for $13.00...

It's hard to make money renting Wyndham if you are not a VIP owner that can get the discounts, or if you don't own desirable fixed weeks.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to make money renting Wyndham if you are not a VIP owner that can get the discounts, or if you don't own desirable fixed weeks.

Here is a basic reservation: Bonnet Creek.

1bdr unit for 1 week, checkin days YOU as the regular Wyndham owner can reserve at 10 out before checkin ... some seasons, 154,000. Average MFs for many resorts are $6.40 per 1K of points.

YOUR as owner cost is $985.60. Add in extra costs for Guest Certificate $99 online or $129 call in. $1114.60. And if you need to buy RTs (reservation transactions) ... add another $49 or two onto your costs.

Platimum VIP owner (with their 60 day before checkin discount and free rebooking) $492.80. Get 20 free Guests Certificates per year - either free GC or averages out to a decent discount ... say are renting only 20 times. You get free RTs at your ownership level. Play the cancel and rebook with a FREE unit upgrade... that same $492.80 could be that owner's cost basis for a 2bdr or 3 bdr or better unit.

With Wyndham and being an owner who is renting .... a small potato renter owns a Platinum account or is owner paying dollars towards other families' vacations.