• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Windows computer scam

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I received a blocked call from a man with a Hindu sounding voice. He told me he was from Windows computers and was calling because of the error messages they are getting from my computer. He wanted me to go to my computer and allow him remote access to check out what was causing those error messages. I told him he was crazy if he thought I would give him access to my computer. I didn't tell him this, but Windows is a operating system and not a company. If I am correct, Microsoft is the company that developed Windows.

In case you are not aware, If you give anyone access to your computer, they can get passwords and account numbers. Your accounts would be drained in a heartbeat. I just wanted to make you aware of this scam.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten several of these calls. At first I was getting worried that something was wrong with my computer but I quickly realized that it was bogus. It was a coincidence because I had just downloaded windows on a new computer so I was definitely wondering. I then realized that I never have gotten a phone call from a computer software company and that I never had given them my number. The last few times I was very rude and told them not to call here again. I have not gotten any of these calls since.

dougef

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Grande Vista
Got one of those calls this week - at 7 AM!! I started screaming at the guy and he hung up.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I have had several of these calls, I asked them to stop calling but they did not. Now when they call I say "Oh no, let me get on my computer" and just leave them hanging on the phone for several minutes until they finally hang up.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I have an ultrasonic cat scarer, looks like a small megaphone and emits a very loud, high pitched squeal. I often like to let rip with this down the phone when I receive one of these calls.

Sometimes I like to play along, act stupid and let them think I've fallen for it the right at the last moment I release a stream of obscenities at them. It's the small things.....

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
play along

A little scam baiting (learned that here) is fun.......

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If I'm not busy, I like playing along with them as well. When they tell me they have been receiving errors from my computer, I simply tell them I have several computers (true) and ask them what is the IP address of the computer that is sending the errors, so I can identify which of my computers has the issue.

Then I sit back and listen to them squirm. :D

The truth is that they just cold-call people looking for a sucker, and given that most people have a home computer, it sounds legitimate. In actuality, they know absolutely no details regarding the computer(s) you may or may not own.

Having a little computer knowledge goes a long way in toying with these scum.

Kurt

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The thing that disturbs me is that (from the above descriptions) the scammers seem to have a phone number to go along with your computer. I know that they might well be just robo-calling cold and never actually linking the two unless and until the mark (you) signs on to their website and clicks the link that allows them to take over. I can see a lot of ways and places for even the leery computer owner to see that this is a scam. 'Course the few that go along with it are sure to provide them a nice income stream.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The thing that disturbs me is that (from the above descriptions) the scammers seem to have a phone number to go along with your computer. I know that they might well be just robo-calling cold and never actually linking the two unless and until the mark (you) signs on to their website and clicks the link that allows them to take over. I can see a lot of ways and places for even the leery computer owner to see that this is a scam. 'Course the few that go along with it are sure to provide them a nice income stream.

They are simply calling the masses, they just need the story to work on 1 out of 1000 and they come out ahead. They don't know if the person they are calling has a computer, tablet or smartphone. If their story breaks apart, they move on to the next call.

I am still not sure what they can get off your computer? Perhaps just install some spyware to steal your passwords? I don't think your credit card numbers are stored on your PC unless you perhaps have some money management software.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had several of these calls in the past. But my new digital phone has a call Block feature that works great. If anyone makes a similar call to me, just once, then I block them. The downside is I'm only allowed 60 blocks and then I have to delete a few.

Between answering machines, Caller ID and Call Blocking, I just don't answer the phone anymore, if I don't know who is calling.

It was really strange though, the first day I got a call from myself. The things they come up with!

NKN :crash:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The game they play is to lead you to a particular folder where you can see all kinds of "error flags" on your machine. Then the end game is for you to give them your name and credit card information which would provide you full access to their repair services. They also try to get on your machine which depending on your attitude could do severe damage to the operating system. At first they want about $300 but that is negotiable. Once they get your credit card info, the sky is the limit.

I've played with these guys in all kinds of ways even to a point of giving them phony name and credit card ID. It's fun when that bounces and they call back for major revenge. Then they desperately want to get on the machine for pure terror! :whoopie:

Recently tho I just offer ideas on how he can have sex with himself and the horse he rode in on. :wave:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For a while, we were getting AT LEAST one call per day from them. Finally, my husband lost it and said unkind things to the caller. That caused the pace of the calls to actually increase; we then spent months hanging up as soon as we realized they were calling. For the last few months, we haven't had any, but yesterday about 7:00 am, we got one. This time I said "I think you must have the wrong number." We didn't get a call from them today, but it's too early to declare victory.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We got a new phone # via Magic Jack and magically, the phone stopped ringing.
Only our few friends, relatives and medical peep know the new number.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I retired, and have more time, I tell them I'm glad they called because my computer is so slow now. Can they really fix it? Then I tell them the computer is upstairs and not on, so do they have time for me to go upstairs and turn it on. Then I just sit back and tell them it's still booting up until they hang up. That keeps their calling numbers down that day ~ Ron :whoopie:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The thing that disturbs me is that (from the above descriptions) the scammers seem to have a phone number to go along with your computer.
They have no connection between your phone number and your computer -- they simply cold-call numbers. If you are gullible enough, they have you go to your computer and go to a web site where you download an application. When you run the app, it connects to their computer and then they can do most anything they want. :annoyed:

That is why if you challenge them to identify your computer (by an IP address, for example), they will just squirm because they have absolutely no information about your computer when they call.

Kurt

tante

Reaction score
I think I would play dumb and strong them along for a good hour.

tante

Reaction score
They have no connection between your phone number and your computer -- they simply cold-call numbers. If you are gullible enough, they have you go to your computer and go to a web site where you download an application. When you run the app, it connects to their computer and then they can do most anything they want. :annoyed:

That is why if you challenge them to identify your computer (by an IP address, for example), they will just squirm because they have absolutely no information about your computer when they call.

Kurt

Most people's computer has the same ip address anyway since the router start the ip numbering pool from the same spot. I bet if they just said 192.168.1.101, they could get most people's ip or enough people wouldn't know how to check.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge

They haven't a clue. We're Mac and have gotten these Windows calls for 3 years now.

Ingrid

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have tried stringing them along and asking which computer it is - as we do have several. Since I know that they are lying, I feel that I can too, so I say that it is amazing to know that my MAC has a Windows problem. :ignore: They hang up immediately.

cmdmfr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Calls

I always ask them for the IP address and they tell me how to find it. I tell them no if you have access to my computer tell me the IP address then they usually hang up. I also ask them for a call back number and address if I am on the computer I look up where the number comes from. The last time hey said they are calling from Savannah GA and the phone number came up in Miami. I also asked for an address so I can bring the computer to them and then they usually hang up. I am going to try some high pitch noise next time.

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Interesting

These guys are "good". We finally got our land line installed last week....first time in a year...recently moved in. Within 2 hours, we got our first call...this is an ATT unlisted number, unpublished. 2 days later we received another call. Guessing these folks have access to the ATT (and others) data bases.

akp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 4 or 5 of these calls also.

Once I said "but I have a Mac" and the guy hung up.

On the next call, I told the guy that I knew it was a scam, that I'm bored with talking to them, and please don't call back. He laughed and said "no, I like your voice, I'm calling back every day now!" Luckily he has not done so :)