• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Phone to use in Paraguay to call the US

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My daughter is going to be in a very rural area of Paraguay (possibly without electricity and running water and definitely with no internet). I don't know if there will be a cell signal, but I'd like to send her with a phone so that she can call the US if needed.

She will not have the opportunity to buy anything while down there.

Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

Thanks!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If there is no cell signal, how will ANY cell phone help? If there is, send her with a GSM unlocked phone so she can buy whatever SIM works there. She can slip it in and it will work. I would not make it a smart phone, as data service may be impossible, or make sure she knows and understands how to turn data off and on. It is possible that even in rural areas. Cell service may be robust. It is far cheaper for 3rd world places to do that than building wire infrastructure to support landlines.

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, not my first choice for where I would send anyone ...

Totally agree with Jim's advice ... and make sure the battery is charged and the phone is turned off until she gets that SIM card.

Make sure she has a simple wrist watch ... kids today use their phone as a clock.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't clear!

1. She will not have a chance to buy anything down there. She is a teenager traveling with a volunteer organization. She will not be able to buy a SIM card and put it into a phone. I would have to buy something up here that works, or find a friend in Paraguay to send me a SIM card (but still need to know what kind of phone to get - she has a US iPhone and will not be bringing it) Can I just buy a phone on ebay and if so, does it just need to say "GSM unlocked?"

2. Of course no cell phone will help if there is no signal, but ***in case there is one*** I'd like her to have a way to phone the US if needed.

Haha, VH...why not your first choice? I'd rather her there than some places in Central America, which was another choice.

Oh...great idea about the wristwatch - thank you!!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be too late but I would send her with a MOBAL phone. I have a cheap dumb phone with them and it works all over the world, but not in US. You only pay for minutes used. And you could call her too.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)