• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] El Cid Vacation Club?

thoscook1

TUG Member
Reaction score
El Cid Vacation Club

We originally owned El Cid/FF points which is basically the same other FF points contracts except it is RTU with an expiration date. We converted to ECVC points for several reasons.

We usually stay at the Marina El Cid every year at Xmas and our points gave us VIP with the 13 month reservation window and 25-50% discounts on all restaurants, golf courses etc. Saved us about $100 last year on some meals, drinks etc and if we played golf it would have been considerably more.

We also like the idea of banking our points up to the last day of the year which we just did-no the FF rule of banking prior to the year.

Another advantage is the plan provides the short day reservation of RCI points for just a few days vacation with the same rates as normal for RCI points program and as such we are RCI points members just have to go through special RCI operator for El Cid. For 3-4 days at El Cid resorts there is
no fee just use your El Cid points and even get discount on points required at 90 and more at 30 days.

Although we do not have the luxury of all FF exchanges on the internal trade we do have basically all the top FF resorts without an exchange fee. If we want to go to any other timeshare location we basically contact RCI special operator and have the appropriate points deposited and pay the normal RCI exchange fee. The only disadvantage is the ability to use small amounts of points to get great deals-we basically have to deposit full value but am sure we get an advantage over someone depositing lesser FF points.

Another advantage is that in our case the maintenance fees were $50-70 cheaper each year.

El Cid also now has several resorts in Europe and is expanding more and these all are availabel without exchange fees.

Guest certificates are not required if you are also at the El Cid resort when the guests arrive-so it always saves us some money since we usually reserve for three families.

As with some other programs you can also use the points for ocean cruises and seems to be is a good program providing the ability to use the points or combine points and cash.

One point is that you must remember is that almost all Mexican timeshare units are RTU and usually 20-30 years and some reorts can be renewed and some cannot, but 20 years is long enough for me and in reality the resale value is fairly low for almost all timeshare units.

This ECVC points program may not be for everyone but for us is much better than the El Cid/FF points based on the above.

Hopefully, this will help folks make a better decision for their particular life style. Incidently, just bought another 300,000 ECVC points contract last month-now I just have to have enough time to enjoy them all.

Myrtle

TUG Member
Reaction score
El Cid with FF

Hi all El Cid-ers, We purchased 308K FF points with El Cid as home resort and have been extremely happy with El Cid; Points system, and overall program. We've stayed at El Moro tower on Penthouse floor 3 times, Marina once and look forward to a return trip next spring. One reason we bought at El Cid that no one has mentioned is the fact that the contract was RTU and for a fixed number of years. We didn't like being locked in for a lifetime of maintenance payments figuring we'd regret it after age 80 when we may travel less.

Our friends, converted their FF into ECVC because they liked the upgraded Castilla Tower rooms that one can only book through ECVC; and wanted to move to a higher VIP status. For us it didn't make as much sense as we prefer the Marina and love the flexibility of FF/Wyndham points for other resorts.
Kind Regards
Myrtle

thoscook1

TUG Member
Reaction score
El Cid Vacation Club

The El Cid/FF points I believe can reserve at their home resort 13 months out but I believe only 10 months out at other resorts. If you like El Cid Marina (like we do) you would want to make sure it is your home resort since I don't believe this benefit of 13 months would transfer to the other El Cid's like El Moro, Cancun, etc.-but I could be wrong on that issue. The system is the basic FF points system except that El Cid is a RTU for a specified period.

You would not get the discounts on food, golf etc that the El Cid Vacation Club provides, which are good at all El Cid Resorts. Like FF point systems, if you buy through resale you cannot get VIP (300,000 points) status with those points but just like FF they always will have some sort of offer to upgrade you-- (we got it fairly cheap since they are trying desparately to convert FF to ECVC). That is certainly cheaper that buying directly from El Cid. Without VIP on ECVC the advance reservation is 11 months. Basically, the only time with the 11 month window that you might have problems is Xmas, New Year, Holy Week and Easter and the week of Carnival. But even then if you reserved precisely at the 11 month window you would be ok most of the time. Incidently, the consider a month as 30 days so 11 months is 330 (not quite right but that is their interpretation).

Good luck on your purchase-just make sure you have several years left since I have seen several expiring in 2014 and that is not much time to prorate the closing, transfer fee and basic bid over.

Tom

dbregman

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great input - I will let you know the results of my search shortly.

David

BobC

Reaction score
Help - Need Advice

Hello,
We are new to this forum, but have just returned from El Cid, having purchased points, when combined with our other timeshares which they want us to deposit into ECVC, will give us 500,000 points. The catch for us was they told us they would take over our maintenance fees for the other properties and we would take on one maintenance fee to cover the new points.

It almost sounded too good to be true, but we went ahead. Now, we are seriously wondering if this will work. We don't have our books or information yet, and they really did not go into the nuts and bolts of how exactly this works. How do we know they actually pay the maintence fees of the other properties?
They said we could used either RCI or II, and they would handle all the arrangements. Another too good to be true? We really don't want to be tied only to El Cid properties. They told us we could switch from RCI to Interval if we wanted, but they assured us we would really love the new RCI book.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, was it successful? If you have any advice or opinions on El Cid, please get back to us. We hope we haven't made a horrible mistake. Thanks.
BobC

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We are new to this forum, but have just returned from El Cid, having purchased points, when combined with our other timeshares which they want us to deposit into ECVC, will give us 500,000 points. The catch for us was they told us they would take over our maintenance fees for the other properties and we would take on one maintenance fee to cover the new points./QUOTE]

Bob, Are your other timeshares FF/Wyndham? If so perhaps you are just transfering the points into ECVC like we did. If that is the case then you would only have MF for ECVC.
If your other timeshares are NOT FF/Wyndham then is sounds like you would be using the (PDP) Points for Deposit Program. That is assigning them to ECVC for points to use in El Cid. If that is the case then you must pay the MF for each week you own and pay a $30 fee for each week you assign to ECVC. They also must be RCI weeks. You also must assign your week at least 10 mo. prior to the check in date of the week. So you would not be eligible to receive ECVC points for your PDP week in the first year of membership.
At which resort did you do the purchase?
I hope this helps in some way.

Judy

thoscook1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned both FF and ECVC points and even an El Cid floating week.

My fees for the ECVC were approx $100-200/yr cheaper than the FF variety for the same amount of points.

The FF version has a 13 month ARP at the home resort otherwise 11 months. The ECVC club only has 13 month for VIP (300,000 from developer) for all El Cid properties otherwise 11 months. The ECVC also gives you membership in RCI points but requires you to go thru a special operator which I found very accomodating and easy to use and actually easier to work with than RCI direct.

I have used both to exchange thru RCI but believe the ECVC only goes thru RCI and the FF can be used for both II and RCI.

In credit pooling points FF requires this action to be done prior to the use year and ECVC allows you to do this upto the last day of the use year very handy since I just did that last year.

Internal exchanges at ECVC include the FF resort mentioned in an earlier posting and El Cid units in Mazatlan (several), Cozumel,Cancun,Kent England,Marbella Spain, Almeria Spain and I believe a couple more.

Also, ECVC has a cruise package where you can use the points.

For me I found ECVC better but since my wife is Mexican we always go to Mazatlan for a couple of weeks at Xmas/New Year the busiest time of year and the 13 month ARP is great. We have small children and like the Marina & Yacht Club but have booked an extra room at El Moro just to see how the kids relate to a high rise unit versus a walkout unit with the pool only a few steps from our patio area.

Just remember that all timeshares in Mexico are RTU and make sure you have 10-20 years remaining on the contract.

If you need any more info feel free to send me a private message.

BobC

Reaction score
Thanks for your help

Thanks for your input and help regarding ECVC. Judy was a great help in determining the procedures for the PDP program. After looking at the details, it appears we made a bad deal and are going to need to take action of some sort to get out of this contract. Wish us luck.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is very old, so I hope someone other than me will respond. I know nothing about ICE/OVC, but as we all know, I would never let ignorance get in the way of me voicing an opinion.

So if I understand correctly, there is a credit given of $1,300 per 100k ECVC points they have?

Sounds like you are being asked to redeem your points at a rate much less favorable to the couple you referenced, correct?

Do you have a tightly specified contractual agreement regarding your points' exchange rate and maximum redemption, or is this more like a frequent flyer system where they can place restrictions on points usage whenever they so choose? And if the latter, is there a currently published document that outlines exchange rate and other restrictions? Do not take anything at face value from a representative whose chief interests/incentives are at polar odds with your own.

It sounds like you find that the only good value for points is using them for cruises. In your example about the couple whose out-of-pocket cost was $13k (for an AKL-PER cruise...what is that?), what was the 'street value' of that cruise? Was the $26k cost really just the "Rack rate" that no one actually ever pays? What could you call up a travel agent for and get that cruise? That is the real comparison point. Add up the $13k plus the annual MF that the 1M points represents and see how it lines up with the street value of the cruise. That will determine how much of a value the points represent.

What you have paid into this system is substantial. I would venture to say gargantuan. But it is sunk, gone. Will never come back. So. If your points have indeed been devalued with restrictions placed on them such that you feel you must upgrade to get better value out of them, I would submit to you that you not invest another dime and seriously consider extracting yourself from the commitment altogether.

M

matiilda

[Spam deleted - poster banned]

Last edited by a moderator:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Unfortunately almost all Mexican timeshare companies, claim during the sales process that you can make the numbers work by renting your newly acquired timeshare with an associate company. The company charges an enrollment fee and the unit never rents. This certainly isn't unique to El Cid.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beware of spam in old threads being resurrected by newbies.

V

virginialewis

[DELETED: Mexican Timeshare Solutions Spammer - BANNED.]

Last edited by a moderator: