• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The BEACH at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

dreamy624

Reaction score
Hi there
hoping someone can please help me asap... I have until 2p est to cancel without a penalty. I traded into the the Grand Mayan, i have a 2 - 2 bedrooms reserved in April. From all the reading Ive been doing, im confused - some are saying you cannot swim at all in the ocean there, some say you can... please, can someone tell me, will we be able to spend significant time in the ocean if we are staying at the grand mayan?? we are more beach go-ers but do not want to burn up and spend hours usually in the water. ive seen horrible pics of coral and boulders. then other pics that are beautiful and people swimming... help please.. thank you so much for any advice, you can email me at dreamy624@aol.com or on here is fine...appreciate it

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The beach area in front of the GMRM is swimmable. It is calmer more on the south end of things than directly in front of the resort. Take note that there are five swimming pools at GMRM, some of which are very large, and all of which are VERY nice. If you want to get wet, and don't need saltwater, you won't have any trouble finding a nice place to play. If you do need saltwater, you'll just have to pick the right place to go into the ocean.

Dave

dreamy624

Reaction score
hi Dave
thank you so much! i just received a response on facebook... do you find this to be true about the beach in front of the GM? We want to get in the water and be ok to stand there and hang out, not with jagged rocks and boulders.... Also, how is the food? we are regulars in Aruba where the food is incredible.. we purposely picked the GM to avoid all inclusives where we seem to only get the glitch food and buffets that stink... thanks again for your times and help with this!

"You are right, the beach at this resort is full of sharp rocks and has an undertow. If you walk about 20 min to the left down beach (again need water shoes as beach also has jagged rocks in places) you will find a beautiful swimming beach. The resort keeps saying they will fix the beach area for swimming but haven't in 5 yrs. I think this is the reason for the extensive pools. Mayan Palace has access to the largest pool closest to the ocean, The grand Mayan has access to more pool areas including by ocean. We love this resort and keep going back but do yourself a favor avoid the sales pitch, the free gift is NOT worth the time you lose. They say 90 min but turns into 5 hrs or more. If you have any more questions, please ask. We have stayed at The Grand Mayan, The Bliss and The Mayan Palace all located in same resort. We prefer The a Grand Mayan. Oh and do not let them put you in bldg 5. It's next to laundry and the buzzing sound coming from it is very loud, day & night. Hope this helps. "

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just sent you an email. We love the resort and just booked a return trip but the beach really is a negative. What you were told on facebook is pretty accurate. I went in once to go snorkeling and it wasn't easy. The southern part of the beach was under construction for the new grand bliss when we visited. Had to walk north 10 minutes to get to a nice swimming area. The food is very good and reasonably priced as well.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
P.S. we stay at the surf club in aruba and the food is much better at the grand mayan!!

dreamy624

Reaction score
I think I just replied to your email.... omg, we love the food at the surf club in aruba, meaning the restaurants outside the resort, they are incredible....El Gouchos, and Mademe Jeanettes and Casa Tua, Driftwoods, and the list goes on... where the heck did you eat in aruba that wasnt so good?? i can help you with the food there, ive owned there for 11 years...

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've only been to GMRM once, in October of 2012. We were five adults who played in and around the water directly in front of the resort, edging more toward the southern part of the beachfront where it was sandier, and more calm. I don't recall "jagged rocks and boulders," but perhaps the beach sand has moved away since I was there? There was enough wave action happening that I wouldn't consider it a snorkeling beach at all. After that day we spent the rest of our lounging time at the various swimming pools at the resort. It was a much better experience, and we could get drink service from the staff more easily. As in all things, YMMV.

Dave

hi Dave
thank you so much! i just received a response on facebook... do you find this to be true about the beach in front of the GM? We want to get in the water and be ok to stand there and hang out, not with jagged rocks and boulders.... Also, how is the food? we are regulars in Aruba where the food is incredible.. we purposely picked the GM to avoid all inclusives where we seem to only get the glitch food and buffets that stink... thanks again for your times and help with this!

"You are right, the beach at this resort is full of sharp rocks and has an undertow. If you walk about 20 min to the left down beach (again need water shoes as beach also has jagged rocks in places) you will find a beautiful swimming beach. The resort keeps saying they will fix the beach area for swimming but haven't in 5 yrs. I think this is the reason for the extensive pools. Mayan Palace has access to the largest pool closest to the ocean, The grand Mayan has access to more pool areas including by ocean. We love this resort and keep going back but do yourself a favor avoid the sales pitch, the free gift is NOT worth the time you lose. They say 90 min but turns into 5 hrs or more. If you have any more questions, please ask. We have stayed at The Grand Mayan, The Bliss and The Mayan Palace all located in same resort. We prefer The a Grand Mayan. Oh and do not let them put you in bldg 5. It's next to laundry and the buzzing sound coming from it is very loud, day & night. Hope this helps. "

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next week will be our 28th consecutive year in Aruba. The restaurants on the island are incredible. We like the restaurants at the Grand Luxxe and adjacent properties, but we go off of the property for most of our dinners. I would never say their food is superior to the restaurants in Aruba.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, they've done some restoration work for the beach @ RM. Here's an excerpt from a September, 2014 blog:

Spectacular Updates from Riviera Maya

We've worked tirelessly to reinvent Vidanta Riviera Maya for our members. There are amazing additions and updates happening throughout the resort and we're very excited for you to enjoy and experience everything that was created for you and your family.

Opening November 8th, is Cirque du Soleil's newest and first dinner show, JOYÀ, performed at the custom-built Cirque du Soleil Theater on the property, just minutes from your resort hotel.

We’ve completed Phases 1 and 2 of the beach restoration project and you’ll be amazed by your picture-perfect Caribbean paradise. We’ve added over 200 tons of sand, removed underwater rocks, and created an artificial coral reef to protect the coast.

Similar to Nuevo Vallarta, Riviera Maya will now have new wooden jungle walkways throughout the resort allowing you to explore the resort and truly appreciate the natural beauty of the Mayan jungle.

Love to indulge on vacation? We are adding three new restaurants - Chiringuito Spanish-style restaurant, Azur French Bistro, and Nektar Yucatecan Grill & Lounge. Frida's is being reimagined as Frida's Mexican Cantina with a distinct, laid-back vibe, and Blue Fish Cevicheria has been expanded in The Grand Mayan Sanctuary.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to disparage the food in aruba - Only the food served at the Surf Club (not that its bad.... just bland). We have a 2 and a 3 year old so we don't get to leave the property much. I was just really impressed with the quality of the food at the Grand Mayan.

Asl18940

Reaction score
I am hoping the post about the beach restoration is correct. I was there in 2012 and the beach was not swimmable, but I was told a great deal of work has been done to restore the sand.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were there almost a year ago they told us the new beach area would only be for the Bliss and the other new high end complex. Not sure if that's just salesman lies or not. I hope they open it to everyone!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at the GL 11/7-11/14. The beach was not very nice. We love the beaches in Cancun and the beaches in the Riviera Maya cannot compete with them.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, they've done some restoration work for the beach @ RM. Here's an excerpt from a September, 2014 blog:

We’ve completed Phases 1 and 2 of the beach restoration project and you’ll be amazed by your picture-perfect Caribbean paradise. We’ve added over 200 tons of sand, removed underwater rocks, and created an artificial coral reef to protect the coast.

Has anybody been there recently? Is there a noticeable improvement?

rpennisi

Reaction score
We were there end of August 2014. Compared to past years, it is easier to get past the coral and into the open water, especially by going in and out from the 2 new boat docks they have put in. The concrete artificial reef put in years ago helps and they have added bladders out there to break the waves. However, it is still not ideal and the water is not all that clear...better but still needs more so maybe the Sept blog quoted above has made it even more useable, though not yet a picture-perfect Caribbean paradise.
Ron

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were there almost a year ago they told us the new beach area would only be for the Bliss and the other new high end complex. Not sure if that's just salesman lies or not. I hope they open it to everyone!

Their lips were moving. :D

I'm sure the beach is open to all members, regardless of level. Also, I'm just a lowly MP owner and I was copied on the blog which doesn't seem to have any small print about exclusivity to certain levels.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been there recently? Is there a noticeable improvement?

I was there last year (January 2014). We were at the Grand Luxxe. That part of the beach was much nicer, although it was too windy to really be in the ocean that day. But the beach was sandy, vs. 2 years before, where that part of the beach wasn't there and it was totally rocky.

You can always take the shuttle in to Playa and spend a day at the public beach, but there's no lockers there to store stuff, so you'd want to get a "beach club".

I personally like the resort itself as it's one of the few non-AI resorts there.

But not everyone likes that.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from GM RM. My three children (9, 14, 15) all enjoyed the beach. Went in via the dock to get past the rocky parts. The water was clear. The snorkeling was terrible there - but for just hanging out in the water, it is nice. No waves, though, so no body surfing...