• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time in Cancun - Royal Cancun - Questions

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phydeaux...Pjrose... or anyone else...

Question, if you stay at the Royal Cancun, do you "just" have access to the Royal Sands facilities and restaurants, or are all the Royal resorts included. Or visa versa with Sands/Cancun?

Thanks

lee

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
You will have access to all Royal Resort facilities except the Grand Residence. Your room key/charge card will be accepted at all the resorts including Captains Cove restaurant.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will have access to all Royal Resort facilities except the Grand Residence. Your room key/charge card will be accepted at all the resorts including Captains Cove restaurant.

Thank you. I thought so, but in so many reviews I have just seen where people offer advice that you can also visit the Sands if you are staying at the Cancun. Our DD is having a hard time choosing which resort to stay in. I think she is just going to have to put in a hat and make her top three choices and see which one hits first with II. :D

lee

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I thought so, but in so many reviews I have just seen where people offer advice that you can also visit the Sands if you are staying at the Cancun. Our DD is having a hard time choosing which resort to stay in. I think she is just going to have to put in a hat and make her top three choices and see which one hits first with II. :D

lee

Maybe she could prioritize what she wants?

The RI and RC are together and it makes no difference which she chooses or which pops up.

The RS is not far from the above 2, 10 minute shuttle and some walk it. The feel is somewhat different from RC/RI... Less personal, but more upscale decor, and AI. All of these have lots of pool and sea water, great beaches, not rough but not flat.

RCancun is somewhat removed from the above 3, the shuttle only runs a few x per day, very very different feel.....quite lovely, peaceful and quiet, flat shallow water at the beach.

aka95

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Updated units at the Royal Sands?

I have never been to the Royal Sands, only Sun Palace in Cancun. Even though I liked the adults-only, fantastic service at Sun Palace, I hated the rooms. We thought we'd try Royal Sands since it was available and I have a 2 br/2 bath on hold with RCI. How are these units? Have they been updated recently? My husband and I just did not want a standard hotel room with a huge tub in the middle of the floor taking up valuable space.:)

buceo

Reaction score
The 2BR 2BA is spacious, like a condo, plenty of room. Not anything like a std hotel room. Bathtub/showers are in the bathroom with a separate door from the bath sink / dressing area with a walk in closet.
I don't consider them updated, just in great shape. Flat screen TVs / wi fi are "new-ish." We've not been for two years, but will go this winter. We've toured the Moon Palace units (I think one of them is Sun?) and we like the Royal's unit. One room is not for us either.

jschmidt

Reaction score
aka95 - If you go to the Royal Resorts website, http://royalresorts.com/, and under “Our Resort” click on Royal Sands you can see the Villa layout.

Personally, I would not go AIP (All Inclusive Prisoner – pronounced Ape); if you rent from a member you are not required to be AIP's. There are many fine restaurants in the area. There is a full kitchen and a dining area in the villa and a grocery store next door in the Kuklacan Plaza. I would classify the onsite resort restaurants as O.K., but not great.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
aka95 - If you go to the Royal Resorts website, http://royalresorts.com/, and under “Our Resort” click on Royal Sands you can see the Villa layout.

Personally, I would not go AIP (All Inclusive Prisoner – pronounced Ape); if you rent from a member you are not required to be AIP's. There are many fine restaurants in the area and a full kitchen, a dining area in the villa and a grocery store next door in the Kuklacan Plaza. I would classify the onsite resort restaurants as O.K., but not great.

You could also consider the Royal Caribbean or Royal Islander. You have the same two-bedroom two-bathroom layout, with living room, dining area, and full kitchen in between and a large furnished terrace with ocean view or ocean front. In comparison to the Royal Sands, there is no AI, so you can eat/drink wherever you want - off-site, at any of the on-site restaurants, or in the comfort of your own villa. Check the website recommended by jschmidt, for lots of photos.

If it's just the two of you, exchanging into the "master suite" or "suite" will give you all of the above except the second bedroom. The second bedroom - AKA lock off - is your basic two-double-bed + bath + very small terrace.

buceo

Reaction score
I have never been to the Royal Sands, only Sun Palace in Cancun. Even though I liked the adults-only, fantastic service at Sun Palace, I hated the rooms.

I assume you are looking for AI, since the Sun Palace is AI. Different than Sun Palace, the Sands and all the Royals are family oriented resorts. Their AI is relatively new. While the Sands might be considered the wild child of the Royals it is still pretty dead quiet at night, except for the sound of brushes cleaning things. I think their AI is not an upscale one, they call it a refine package, upscale items have a surcharge. You've probably seen a lot of reviews, I just think while a great place, it'll be a lot different than the Sun Palace. The unit I think you want, but the ambiance, maybe not so much, just a guess. Have a great trip!

aka95

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Satellite TV?

Buceo do the TV's in the Royal Sands have English-speaking channels? And if so, how many?

buceo

Reaction score
They have English channels, I would say they never had "a lot" by US standards and it seems to vary by what I have read. Sorry, I don't have a number. We'll be there in Feb for the first time in 2 yrs.