• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need a Rental Resort Recommendation in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, Loreto is a small village on the Baja peninsula. There is another VDP in the Marina area of Puerto.

Jim

VDP is not in the marina - it is in the hotel zone in PV. It is our favorite resort - we own there as well as the Buganvilias. Rental and floating inventory, as an owner, is as tight as I have ever seen it at both resorts. I think last winter convinced people to make reservations early. Based on the white stuff falling outside my window, I am glad I have my weeks reserved.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Puerto Vallarta!

Pv is a much better choice than Cabo, IMO. We have been to Cabo twice and now only visit PV every fall and know most of the timeshares, either having stayed there or just hearing about them.

The best areas in PVR to walk around and enjoy are El Centro (downtown and the Malecon Boardwalk) and la Zona Romantica (just south of El Centro with Los Muertos Beach, cobblestones and many restaurants). There are no timeshares in either area, but some are close. To the north, the Sheraton Buganvilias is a great choice. It has a super pool, but no sandy beach due to hurricane Kenna. The beach has little rocks that make a wonderful sound as the waves come in and out. We loved it there and you can walk south to the Malecon and El Centro. Buses and taxis are right at the door.

Our other favorite timeshare is Lindo Mar, which is south of town. LM has its own small sandy beach with rocky outcrops for snorkeling. Lindo Mar is a small boutique type timeshare in traditional Mexican style. You are in your own little universe there, but a cab ride is 50 pesos and the bus is really cheap to Zona Romantica.

Those are the two best timeshaes to me that are semi close to town. Getting into town, both El Centro and Zona Romantica, is what PV is all about.

Further out you can find many other timeshares...especially in the Hotel Zone (Villa del Palmar, Los Tules, Pelicanos and more). We don't like to be that far north, but I know others do like to base from that area. We would never stay as far north as the Marina. But, it all depends on what you want. We like to spend our time in la Zona Romantica and El Centro.

Actually, now we rent a condo at Vista del Sol oceanfront on Los Muertos Beach and then spend a timeshare week at Lindo Mar. The last three years we have been lucky enough to add a week at Ocho Cascadas (once as a trade and twice as a rental). That place is the ultimate!

PM me if you need more info. We are PV lovers!:banana:

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the choice for Sheraton Buganvilias. The location is much more central than Villa del Palmar. They can choose between the hotel or the timeshare, they share same grounds and restaurants.

I have seen very good deals for the hotel side on travel consolidator sites and they often include the All Inclusive option.

I believe if they are choosing to rent the timeshare side, they could purchase the AI option just for a few days, no need to do the whole week, though I'm not sure about that.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the choice for Sheraton Buganvilias. The location is much more central than Villa del Palmar. They can choose between the hotel or the timeshare, they share same grounds and restaurants.

I have seen very good deals for the hotel side on travel consolidator sites and they often include the All Inclusive option.

I believe if they are choosing to rent the timeshare side, they could purchase the AI option just for a few days, no need to do the whole week, though I'm not sure about that.

I agree that the location of the Sheraton is tops, although for other reasons I still prefer VDP. I do not agree about AI. There are many, many good restaurants within a couple of blocks of the resort. And the bus can take you everywhere and cabs are cheap. Doing AI in PV, IMO makes no sense since experiencing town is part of the charm.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I thought the Sheraton Bungavillas hasnt been renovated for a long time now. Most of the reviews I read suggest that the building and rooms are way out of date.

When was the last major renovation at the Sheraton ? 1996 ?

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
More news

My coworker and her husband have narrowed it down to Buganvilias and Villa Del Palmar in PV.

Is there more than one Villa Del Palmar in Puerto Vallarta? I see "Flamingos" on some Google searches, and "Beach Resort" on others. Is that two different places?

If anyone has a Studio or 1 bedroom for rent there in early February, please PM me the details so I can pass it on to them. AI not wanted if there are area restaurants. Please don't post any ad info here.

Thanks, everyone for all the info and help!

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
I thought the Sheraton Bungavillas hasnt been renovated for a long time now. Most of the reviews I read suggest that the building and rooms are way out of date.

Bill
I remember posting pictures of the refurbishing of the condos so looked it up. It was in January 2011 and the pictures are here.

We love staying here because of the location and we like the beautiful pool plus the same guests year after year since our condo is a fixed week/unit. We much prefer the beaches in Nuevo Vallarta but PV is much more interesting.

I have seen all the other resorts that are mentioned in this thread and you can't go wrong with any of them. We also like the marina area and the bus will take you downtown pretty fast but it is in walking distance from the Buganvilias. There is a little timeshare on or near the Malecon but I don't know the name.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My coworker and her husband have narrowed it down to Buganvilias and Villa Del Palmar in PV.

Is there more than one Villa Del Palmar in Puerto Vallarta? I see "Flamingos" on some Google searches, and "Beach Resort" on others. Is that two different places?

If anyone has a Studio or 1 bedroom for rent there in early February, please PM me the details so I can pass it on to them. AI not wanted if there are area restaurants. Please don't post any ad info here.

Thanks, everyone for all the info and help!

Dave
Flamingos is near Bucerias ... a loooong way from PV. FYI- RCI has some weeks for rent at the Buganvilias but they are not cheap.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Flamingos is near Bucerias ... a loooong way from PV. FYI- RCI has some weeks for rent at the Buganvilias but they are not cheap.

Thanks! I'll check those RCI rates. I don't know the PV area at all, and know sometimes there are different resorts with the same general names. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Decision made

Well, after all this, and the kind emails and PMs I received, my coworker and her husband have decided to go with a hotel and airfare package from Costco instead.

Thanks, everyone, for the efforts and information you provided. Tuggers are the best!

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can lead a horse to water......

taffy19

Reaction score
Well, after all this, and the kind emails and PMs I received, my coworker and her husband have decided to go with a hotel and airfare package from Costco instead.

Thanks, everyone, for the efforts and information you provided. Tuggers are the best!

Dave
Do you know what city (or resort) they have decided on? Most likely their hotel stay is a timeshare resort besides a hotel so they will be invited to a timeshare presentation.

They are wise to say "no thank you" and avoid the hard sell. There is so much to see and do in Puerto Vallarta and surroundings to give up their precious vacation time unless they are planning to go back more than once. Most people don't unless they own a timeshare. ;)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

Bill

They started total renovation of the top floor (25th)of the Tower Building in 2011. It is called Sky Suites. In 2013 they started renovating the 17th floor
and these were open this year. Both floors are exceptionally nice. FYI - at Buganvilias, the ground floor is 11 and the top floor is 25 (15 stories high).

My husband made a video to show the "kids" when we were there last week. Take a look - it is the at the bottom of the galleries that you see if you click on the link below my signature. I tried to just link it, but had not luck. The units on the 17th floor are similar to the Sky Suites.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Gracias Phyllis. It looks like you have been all over Mexico Senorita . Maybe it is the Sheraton that needs some refurbed because the Bungavillas look sweet.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Do you know what city (or resort) they have decided on? Most likely their hotel stay is a timeshare resort besides a hotel so they will be invited to a timeshare presentation.

They are wise to say "no thank you" and avoid the hard sell. There is so much to see and do in Puerto Vallarta and surroundings to give up their precious vacation time unless they are planning to go back more than once. Most people don't unless they own a timeshare. ;)

I don't know what their final choice will be, but the last resort name I heard was Villas del Palmar in PV. It seems the issue is they have less than a week to spend, due to the husband's work schedule, and they need to check in on a Monday. Due to the late date of their plans and cost of airfare, the timeshare dates in February are mostly filled. They really appreciated all the info they received, but this works for them.

It seems to me that once again, advance planning makes for better vacation options. If they'd started this a year ago, even six months ago, their options would have been better. She seems happy with her choice, and sent Thank You's to everyone here for their input.

Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
They started total renovation of the top floor (25th)of the Tower Building in 2011. It is called Sky Suites. In 2013 they started renovating the 17th floor
and these were open this year. Both floors are exceptionally nice. FYI - at Buganvilias, the ground floor is 11 and the top floor is 25 (15 stories high).

My husband made a video to show the "kids" when we were there last week. Take a look - it is the at the bottom of the galleries that you see if you click on the link below my signature. I tried to just link it, but had not luck. The units on the 17th floor are similar to the Sky Suites.

I edited SmugMug and moved the video up to the top since I usually put the most recent photos first. It is called Sheraton Buganvilias Sky Suites 2014 Video. (I had uploaded a different video last week and wanted this one.) Click on the link below my signature.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great video. Thanks for sharing, Phyllis.