• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Spinnaker enforce a 1 in 4 rule in Hilton Head?

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy Hilton Head and have enjoyed various resorts. We are currently in Waterside and wondered if Spinnaker enforces a 1 in 4 for their resorts in Hilton Head.

Thanks for your help.
Sandy M

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most all of them do. Its best to be honest and not even frustrate yourself trying to slip through the cracks.

Jan&Ern

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just posted this exact same question yesterday on the Exchanging section of TUG! We also enjoy Hilton Head and are getting available weeks for March 2009 at Waterside but we've stayed at another Spinnaker October 2006. I'm not comfortable trying go around their rule and don't know if we can challenge it or not. :cool:

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sandy,

I met you at a gathering on the Big Island. Do you remember?

How do you like Waterside? I am looking at booking a unit there or at the Cottages at Shipyard for next March.

Linda

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes Linda, I do remember you. I love the Big Island. It was great to meet you guys!!!

We really do like Waterside. The units are very large and nice. We are in a three bedroom and it has two master suites. I peeked into a two bedroom when they were cleaning next door and it was nice, too. The living area is just a little smaller in it. The location is perfect. We often stay in Sea Crest just because of location. I can walk to the grocery store for a loaf of bread and only be gone 15 minutes. We are about three blocks from the beach. They do run a beach shuttle every hour. We have found it easy to walk. I'm in the mid sixties and have had a knee replacement and still can do it easily. My husband walks it twice a day just to get to the ice cream store. I would love to be able to book here every year, but not enough to buy here. They do have three pools. One is a kiddie pool that is very cold. They have a zero entry pool that is cool but doable and they have a heated pool that is great. I would definitely book here.:cheer: :cheer:

donnaval

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a Spinnaker at Lake Dillon in CO -- would that let me get around the 1-in-4 at the Spinnaker resorts in HH? We're staying for the first time at Egret's Point in October and if we like it can envision returning to the area often. I just don't trust RCI to give me correct info lol.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Spinnaker

donnaval,

Not sure, I think I remember reading that you had to own on HHI to get around the 1 in 4 rule. I would call Spinnaker directly at: 843-785-3355

Paul

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 in 4 Rule

I am reading this post as follows:

If you trade for any Spinnaker Resort on HHI then you cannot return to HHI in any Spinnaker resort again for 4 years. This seems to be the thought.

I could see a 1 in 4 for each resort, but not a 1 in 4 that would include all Spinniker resorts on HHI.

Has anyone gotten an answer from Spinnaker?

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have exchanged into several Spinnaker resorts in the past. Waterside has always had the 1-4 rule. We booked Waterside and Egret Point for summer 2009. RCI called and said that Spinnaker now has a 1-4 for all their HHI resorts. This really puts a damper on our trading. Guess it is a good thing that we own so many resorts on HHI and live nearby.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I heard of other TS doing the "family" 1-4 thing

I believe Spinnaker is a firm 1-4 rule and for all its "Family" of timeshares at HHI. I think I remember seeing some other TS doing this where they owned multiple TS in the same area.

Steve

Reaction score
Grand Pacific Resorts in Southern California enforce the same 1 in 4 rule for RCI exchanges into any of their resorts in SoCal.

Steve

hkg3k

Reaction score
This would be correct in my experience.......we own a Spinnaker Cottages unit, but have exchanged for Waterside the past 2 spring breaks.

donnaval,

Not sure, I think I remember reading that you had to own on HHI to get around the 1 in 4 rule. I would call Spinnaker directly at: 843-785-3355

Paul

Jan&Ern

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, based on the fact that you've exchanged (through rci?) for the past two spring breaks, does that then mean the 1-in-4 rule has not been enforced? Or were you exchanging within a Spinnaker system, if there is such a thing? If you have exchanged and had no problems doing so, that would lead me to believe that they are not enforcing the rule, or at least not for Spinnaker owners.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
1 in 4

Delete duplicate post...

Last edited:

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
So, based on the fact that you've exchanged (through rci?) for the past two spring breaks, does that then mean the 1-in-4 rule has not been enforced? Or were you exchanging within a Spinnaker system, if there is such a thing? If you have exchanged and had no problems doing so, that would lead me to believe that they are not enforcing the rule, or at least not for Spinnaker owners.

No, it means if you do NOT own at Spinnaker, you cannot trade into any of the Spinnaker resorts on HHI (except for off season last minute escapes - or whatever they're called these days) but once every 4 years. We also own at The Cottages and never had a problem, as the rule does not apply to owners.

Paul

searchin

TUG Member
Reaction score
1 - in - 4 is Enforced

We recently bought a week at one of the Spinnaker resorts on HHI. We spoke with admin people at their primary location on HHI (Players Club) and were told they do enforce the 1-in-4 rule. However, this rule is waived for Spinnaker owners. Spinnaker uses this waiver as an inticement to purchase.

jstapleton

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently bought a week at one of the Spinnaker resorts on HHI. We spoke with admin people at their primary location on HHI (Players Club) and were told they do enforce the 1-in-4 rule. However, this rule is waived for Spinnaker owners. Spinnaker uses this waiver as an inticement to purchase.

I have a question that I need answered. Last year we purchaed Waterside Spinnaker, every other year for a fantastic price for our 3 bedroom. We stayed using our week and then rented another week (directly through Spinnaker). We wanted to go again this year (we own every odd year) and rented through a Timeshare rental company (not Spinnaker/Players Club). Since I rented last year and now again this year (not through Spinnaker), when I arrive with my family and extended family that rented this year, will they turn me away? :eek:
Thank you.

jstapleton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, does anyone know. I have been thinking about this since yesterday.
Thanks.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The 1 in 4 rule is an RCI thing and should not affect you as a renter. The only way this might affect you is if the person renting you the week obtained the week as an exchange (also against RCI rules) and is in violation of the 1 in 4 rule.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
For those upset about RCI's 1 in 4 rule, why not just use one of the independant exchange companies like Redweek, SFX or Trading Places. They do not have that stupid 1 in 4 rule for exchanges and I know of at least one person on these forums that has used SFX to circumvent RCI's 1 in 4 rule regularly to stay at HGVC's Flamingo resort in Vegas.

jstapleton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I just thought somehow my name would be flagged :p
Thanks!