• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car for Cabo?

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am headed to Grand Solmar in April and wondered if it would be a good idea to rent a car? I may be going alone, but am not sure yet. Would I be missing out on visiting the area or restaurants, if I did not have a car? Is it safe to drive in Cabo? I read some scary things about driving in Mexico. Thanks for your thoughts.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think it depends on how much exploring you want to do. The resort location is a bit isolated, but taking a taxi to the shopping areas wouldn't likely cost too much, when you wanted to go. The resort may even have a shuttle.

I had no issues driving anywhere in Mexico - if you're a smart, defensive driver, and understand that the "rules of the road" are kind of slippery, then you'll likely be fine.

The larger issue for me is the extra costs of a rental car in Mexico. Even if you start with a great base rate, the added third party insurance tends to drive up the cost a fair bit. You'll have to weigh the cost per day for having a rental, and whether you really need that car sitting there unused most of the time.

All things considered, for my money, I'd skip it unless you really think you'll use it.

Dave

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
No need for a car and certainly not worth having one for the week. GS only has a shuttle to PG (3 blocks away-PG is the sister resort of GS). If you want to take a day trip rent a one day car rental from the Alamo Cabo location across from the fountain at the mall (or at PG) and return it to Playa Grande where they have a drop spot(give the keys to the Alamo desk next to the PG concierge). In January I paid $4/day plus 15/day for mandatory liability insurance and a few dollars in taxes for a total of $22 for a compact for 24 hrs. Rent from the US website not the .mx website- prices are lower on the US site.

If you were a group of 2-4 then consider a one way rental from the airport with a grocery stop and 50 pesos in gas runs about $26 for a one day rental from Alamo. Again drop the car at PG with no drop charge.

So that covers a side trip but you really do not need a car for eating and seeing Cabo. Parking is limited and the local cops like to shake down tourists (your rental car plates give you away). If you are in reasonable health you can walk to more resturants than there are meals in a week. All are better than the overpriced resort food. For 12.5 pesos or 1 USD you can hop on a colectivo bus located on the roundabout near the entrance to PG/GS that takes you to Walmart, Costco or the other direction to Sorianas, Mega or Chedrui (Large Mexican grocery stores).

If you do not feel like walking (or stumbling) to Medano beach the water taxi across the marina to the beach is 3-4$ one way. Taxis are a rippoff but if you always pay in pesos you get the correct rate. If you pay in USD the the taxi drivers can charge whatever they want. A taxi ride across town to Medano is 120 pesos ($8 today). Never tip a taxi driver and do tip everyone else as tourism is still off after the huricane.

To get to GS from the airport I use a Cape Travel shuttle as they are the least expensive and one of the largest transport companies. $15 inbound, $18 return in January- pre book online

PM me if you have any other questions or need more details.

Sponge

TUG Member
Reaction score
No need for a car and certainly not worth having one for the week. GS only has a shuttle to PG (3 blocks away-PG is the sister resort of GS). If you want to take a day trip rent a one day car rental from the Alamo Cabo location across from the fountain at the mall (or at PG) and return it to Playa Grande where they have a drop spot(give the keys to the Alamo desk next to the PG concierge). In January I paid $4/day plus 15/day for mandatory liability insurance and a few dollars in taxes for a total of $22 for a compact for 24 hrs. Rent from the US website not the .mx website- prices are lower on the US site.

If you were a group of 2-4 then consider a one way rental from the airport with a grocery stop and 50 pesos in gas runs about $26 for a one day rental from Alamo. Again drop the car at PG with no drop charge.

So that covers a side trip but you really do not need a car for eating and seeing Cabo. Parking is limited and the local cops like to shake down tourists (your rental car plates give you away). If you are in reasonable health you can walk to more resturants than there are meals in a week. All are better than the overpriced resort food. For 12.5 pesos or 1 USD you can hop on a colectivo bus located on the roundabout near the entrance to PG/GS that takes you to Walmart, Costco or the other direction to Sorianas, Mega or Chedrui (Large Mexican grocery stores).

If you do not feel like walking (or stumbling) to Medano beach the water taxi across the marina to the beach is 3-4$ one way. Taxis are a rippoff but if you always pay in pesos you get the correct rate. If you pay in USD the the taxi drivers can charge whatever they want. A taxi ride across town to Medano is 120 pesos ($8 today). Never tip a taxi driver and do tip everyone else as tourism is still off after the huricane.

To get to GS from the airport I use a Cape Travel shuttle as they are the least expensive and one of the largest transport companies. $15 inbound, $18 return in January- pre book online

PM me if you have any other questions or need more details.

As of March 1st National has the contract for Solmar Resorts. So dropping an Alamo rental at Playa Grande is no longer possible.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As of March 1st National has the contract for Solmar Resorts. So dropping an Alamo rental at Playa Grande is no longer possible.

Too bad as Alamo plays the least rental games in Cabo. The OP can either rent Alamo in town return in town or probably easier to just rent a resort to resort car from National. Is the resort rentals still $35-40/day with liability insurance?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My family gets together every year at Grand Solmar and Playa Grande. If we want to take day trips to Todos Santos, San Jose, Santa Maria and Chileno Beach, etc, we rent a car. Otherwise, we get a shuttle to the resort and walk almost everywhere. It is a very easy walk from Grand Solmar to the marina and "downtown" Cabo San Lucas. Medano Beach is a quick and fun $3-4 water taxi ride from the marina. I've gone down by myself and had NO problem getting around without a car. I love walking down to the marina early in the morning for breakfast, then doing some shopping in town.

The only problem we've ever had with car rentals is the old gas station attendant scams. They've switched bills (saying you gave them a 20 when you really gave them a 200 peso bill) and changed the meter on the pump to show higher amounts. It's all easily avoided if you pay attention. We've had good experiences renting from Dominic's, BBB, and Alamo (ask for the TripAdvisor rate).

Last edited:

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips

Thank all of you for the info about car rental in Cabo. Since I can walk to town, take a water taxi or rent a car for a day or two, I won't being renting for the entire week. You have been very helpful.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
From Oldbuyer: "To get to GS from the airport I use a Cape Travel shuttle as they are the least expensive and one of the largest transport companies. $15 inbound, $18 return in January- pre book online"

I looked at Cape Travel, it doesn't have GS as a destination for transportation to and from the airport. Am I doing something wrong in searching for this?

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From Oldbuyer: "To get to GS from the airport I use a Cape Travel shuttle as they are the least expensive and one of the largest transport companies. $15 inbound, $18 return in January- pre book online"

I looked at Cape Travel, it doesn't have GS as a destination for transportation to and from the airport. Am I doing something wrong in searching for this?

You want to book it as Playa Grande on the Cape Travel site