• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Non-AI Resorts in Playa del Carmen Suitable for Family with Small Children

Hanburger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like your thoughts on non-AI resorts in Playa del Carmen. I'm planning our 2016 summer vacation for our family of six, including three children (then ages - 2, 5, and 7) and my mother-in-law. We have never been to Mexico and our main desire is to find a beautiful and peaceful beach for our children to play in and to find a family-friendly resort. (We may venture out and hit some local tourist spots, but it's not a major driver.)

Some of our current thoughts are ...
1. We read that the beaches in Playa del Carmen are more suitable for young children than those in Cancun, because the waves are smaller. I wonder if this is true. (The beaches in PDC do look amazing from photos I found on the web.)
2. We will be looking to rent a 2-BR for one week from a tugger. We're on budget for about $1,500 for renting... again non-AI. Availability/ease of finding a rental during summer vacation would be important.

Which resorts do you recommend and why? We're Worldmark/II members and would be happy with less than 5* resorts.

Also, when is the hurricane season in that part of the world? We obviously want to avoid that altogether.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Han

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Grand Mayan and Grand Luxxe are lovely properties. The Royal Haciendas is very nice-- although it is listed as an AI if you rent from an owner you do not have to take the AI. I would look on TUG and Redweek.com for rentals. The beaches in Playa are not as rough as the ones in Cancun, but they are no where near as pretty.

Hurricane season in the Caribbean is from 6/1 to 11/1.

Hanburger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Season

Thank you for the reply. I have a followup question if you don't mind:

Since hurricane season covers the entire summer break, is it even a good idea to visit Cancun/Playa during summer? I wonder if I need to reconsider the whole thing, or is there a way to make this work without taking too much risk (i.e., spending the entire vacation in our unit).

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are always taking a chance. We travel to the Cancun area in November and March/April. We have had the pleasure of one small hurricane in November. It actually hit the night we arrived and by morning all was fine. It was a small one. In the summer we go to Hilton Head, where we have encountered tropical storms in our 50+ years of going there. It is a drag if that happens--have we stopped going, no because chances are we won't get one. If you want guaranteed weather Aruba is south of the hurricane belt and their weather is constant throughout the year.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced bad weather incl tropical storms/hurricanes in early June in the Yucatan. When do you get out of school? Plan on going the very next week!

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had two weeks in Playa then Cancun in August a few years ago. The first week, the weather was perfect. The second week, a category 5 hurricane came. We couldn't get airfare to go home (they wanted over $3000 to change my tickets). We ended up taking the kids on a 22 hours bus ride to Mexico City. We had a great time in Mexico City but it was pretty scary to know that a giant storm is coming. So, it is hard to say.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went in July few year ago and in August last year. No hurricane. Went also to cancan for Christmas last year. Much prefer the summer as I feel the pool is too cold in december

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have never been there in the summer, but my general observation is that August to October is the most likely time for hurricanes in the Playa area. The Mayan Palace / Grand Mayan / Grand Luxxe are all good choices - a great pools an the beach is fun for kids. You do have walk down the beach for better ocean access, but that has never been a problem when we have taken our grandson. He preferred the pools.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Is the Grand Luxxe right in Playa Del Carmen ? Easy to walk from resort into the main part of town ? It appears like it is in the map but just wanted to make sure

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the Grand Mayan / Grand Luxxe suggestions. We've brought our 2 and 4 year olds several times and we are going again in February. We normally like doing new resorts but the people at Vida (parent for GM and GL) do an unbelievable job with kids. I'm absolutely blown away at how kind the staff have always been to my kids.

The Grand Luxxe is about 40 minutes north of Playa del Carmen (not a walk in any possible way). We took the kids to Playa the first time and it was just too crazy. We'd wait until they are a bit older to try it again.

Just a thought but since you are in SoCal how about the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta? We were just there 6 weeks ago and it was amazing for the kids!!!!!! Super easy from the airport. TONS of stuff to occupy kids. Most important.... No worries about hurricanes!

I'm not sure what the demand is for this resort in the summer but I've been able to pick up lower demand weeks at these resorts for $400ish for a 2 bedroom!

I know I'm repeating myself but as a dad with little kids the Grand Mayan / Grand Luxxe properties are absolutely the best most kid friendly properties I've found in Mexico. Just don't attend the sales pitch.....

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the Grand Luxxe right in Playa Del Carmen ? Easy to walk from resort into the main part of town ? It appears like it is in the map but just wanted to make sure

Although the address is Playa del Carmen, the GL is closer to Puerto Morales. You cannot walk to either. If you stay at the Royal Haciendas you can walk to Playa.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Although the address is Playa del Carmen, the GL is closer to Puerto Morales. You cannot walk to either. If you stay at the Royal Haciendas you can walk to Playa.

Ah thanks. That is what I thought as i don't remember seeing this resort in Playa. It's been a long time since I have been there and trying to remember where certain things were.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To the OP - please be aware that your children will be exposed to many people in Mexico, who have never had any immunizations. Be sure your children are completely up to date on theirs, and also discuss it with their doctor. You may also want to ask your Dr. for medication for water borne bacteria.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise makes a good point about immunizations (although I was recently shocked to find out almost a quarter of my daughters preschool class has opted not to immunize!!!!!!)

One of the reasons we love the Grand Mayan - Grand Bliss properties is the incredibly high level of onsite medical care. The first time we visited the Grand Mayan our one year old came down with a nasty ear infection. I was very concerned with how I was going to deal with it in Mexico. Long story short we found out that the hotel had an onsite doc and he was amazing.

I sent one of my employees a few weeks ago and she came down with a double ear and sinus infection her first day there. I told her to go to the on-site doc and she was amazed. What's really amazing is that my employee was appointed by our Governor as the vice chair of the state's medical control board. Her standards are incredibly high and even she said it was one of the best doctors visits she has ever had. And it only cost $100 including the meds!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I see that you are in Southern California. Have you considered going to Cabo? Since you are traveling with small children the two hour flight might be easier to handle than the longer flight to Playa Del Carmen. The middle of June should have nice weather, too.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see that you are in Southern California. Have you considered going to Cabo? Since you are traveling with small children the two hour flight might be easier to handle than the longer flight to Playa Del Carmen. The middle of June should have nice weather, too.

A lot of the resorts are still closed/rebuilding after the hurricane there. Some may be ready by June. I think the Mayan stuff won't be ready until then or maybe later.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
A lot of the resorts are still closed/rebuilding after the hurricane there. Some may be ready by June. I think the Mayan stuff won't be ready until then or maybe later.
I think you're right about the Grand Mayan and properties closer to San Jose del Cabo. But, I've heard that most all the Cabo properties are up and running. I know the three Pueblo Bonitos are back in business.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Also planning a similar vacation and looking for advice. We are a family of five with three kids (9,8,8), looking for a vacation in Mexico during Vancouver spring break 2016. That's likely going to be the week of March 19-26. I heard that Cancun and the area gets crazy with the spring break crowd, do those dates fall on the US spring break, or are those different dates?

A fantastic beach is a priority. Pacific beaches were a disappointment, but I heard beaches around Cancun and Rivera Maya are much better. Is it true? Which timeshares would you recommend for rent for a family, which is on a truly fantastic white sand turquoise water beach and do not require mandatory AI fees?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also planning a similar vacation and looking for advice. We are a family of five with three kids (9,8,8), looking for a vacation in Mexico during Vancouver spring break 2016. That's likely going to be the week of March 19-26. I heard that Cancun and the area gets crazy with the spring break crowd, do those dates fall on the US spring break, or are those different dates?

A fantastic beach is a priority. Pacific beaches were a disappointment, but I heard beaches around Cancun and Rivera Maya are much better. Is it true? Which timeshares would you recommend for rent for a family, which is on a truly fantastic white sand turquoise water beach and do not require mandatory AI fees?

The beaches in Cancun are nicer than the beaches in Playa del Carmen. The Royal Islander and The Royal Caribbean are wonderful. They are not AI. U.S. Spring break varies by school district. In the Northeast it is usually around Easter.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
College spring break time is usually earlier often in February. In the mid atlantic area k-12 spring break is often the week before or after Easter which would be when yours is.

The week you are looking at is also a very popular holiday time in Mexico. So while you might not have to worry about Spring Breakers, you will be looking at travelling during one of the most popular times of year at that location.