• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Someone is trolling the classified ads, trying to steal personal information

kctime

Banned
Reaction score
Please be warned that there is someone sending out fake requests to rent timeshare weeks. They are responding to ads in the classified section, trying to trick you into revealing your email password.

I have received 2 emails. The first was from scrosemarydon@gmail.com, inquiring about a Ko Olina week for rent. The wording was:

Please advice the availability for your 2 bedroom, we need it for those dates. Is it still available? Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

I have also received an email from svcareslkaren@gmail.com with the wording

Hi, Please advice the availability for your 2 bedroom, we need it for Jan 14 tru 21st Or closer week. Looking forward to hearing from you soon..thanks

I am ashamed that I fell for his trap. (My excuse is that I was tired and wasn't as alert as I should have been.) He asks you to send him a rental agreement. Then he says he has filled out his side, and please check it by clicking on this link. The link comes up with a page that is meant to look like Google Docs, and asks for your password. (This is where I'm hitting myself, that I actually typed it in.)

The day after I did this, I received an alert from gmail that someone had logged into my account from West Lagos, Nigeria.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you should probably change your TUG password as well.

good reminder to never ever click links in emails from strangers!

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the warning

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, it is not only links or attachments from strangers anymore you have to look out for. I work for a financial institution and we are even getting emails from emails from what appears people we know (same email address and everything) asking to click on this or open that. I now try not to click on any link or attachment via email anymore.

It is sad.....but the bad guys are getting better and better at this.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, it is not only links or attachments from strangers anymore you have to look out for. I work for a financial institution and we are even getting emails from emails from what appears people we know (same email address and everything) asking to click on this or open that. I now try not to click on any link or attachment via email anymore.

It is sad.....but the bad guys are getting better and better at this.

This is good advice. Unless you know in advance that a specific item is coming from a specific person, you need to confirm before opening.

Dastarga

Reaction score
svcareslkaren@gmail.com

Thank you for posting the alert of the fraudulent "renter" of timeshares. I received the same email asking about availability of my unit. The person did negotiate on the price and wanted me to send them the rental agreement. Something just did not feel right - so I typed in the above email address... and a post from TUG showed up.... just a warning that this person is still at it.

Again, thank you for warning all of us!

Ray

picard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phishing / Nigerian Scammers looking for prays on... TUG Marketplace

Hi,

I really didn't expect this one.
I put an ad on the market place, and got contacted by "Karen" (svcareslkaren@gmail.com). Good communication, everything goes fast, I send a draft rental agreement for review.

The person behind "Karen" sends an email saying that she already signed the agreement, that can be downloaded from a t.co url... strange. She is eager to pay (red flag !)
The URL sends in fact to a web page (poorly) mimicking a google login page, and, in fact, aimed at collecting email credentials from the victim. Information input there are sent to this address url removed (Nigerian domain...)

If you are curious, you can see the "phishing page" here url removed. Just make sure you don't enter anything sensitive. And better not to click if you don't have a good anti-virus, just in case.

Be careful out there...

PS: seems similar to this case reported earlier this year:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233229&highlight=phishing
Except that this happened on TUG, and not Redweek ! :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

SimpleLife

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know about this. Let's all be careful to only click on links that we are expecting from someone that we know.

isis1206

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info

Thank you for all the advise. I probably would've fallen for the same scheme being anxious to get my timeshare rented. Sadly, we are victims when we just don't know who is contacting us and must open emails not knowing the legitimacy...we are at their mercy. :mad:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I would say clicking on the link was not the problem here, but entering your password. You knew better but did it anyhow, just shows us all that it's easy to slip up.

Thanks for posting this.

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you s much for positing this. It is very sad indeed.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Set up a separate "free" email with a password you don't use anywhere else to use for your classified ads.

chrisdu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I got a similar message from this Karen as well. I have since changed all the passwords as a pre-caution.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
another reminder for folks to stop clicking links to attachments within emails from strangers! this individual hijacked another persons yahoo email this week!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and another reminder, we are starting to see more and more of these random emails asking about "rental availability" with a link to a google doc (or similar) attachment...do not click these links!!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and another friendly reminder, this is still happening!

another person had their gmail account compromised just today from clicking on one of these google docs linked in an email!

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I really didn't expect this one.
I put an ad on the market place, and got contacted by "Karen" (svcareslkaren@gmail.com). Good communication, everything goes fast, I send a draft rental agreement for review.

The person behind "Karen" sends an email saying that she already signed the agreement, that can be downloaded from a t.co url... strange. She is eager to pay (red flag !)
The URL sends in fact to a web page (poorly) mimicking a google login page, and, in fact, aimed at collecting email credentials from the victim. Information input there are sent to this address removed (Nigerian domain...)

If you are curious, you can see the "phishing page" here url removed . Just make sure you don't enter anything sensitive. And better not to click if you don't have a good anti-virus, just in case.

Be careful out there...

PS: seems similar to this case reported earlier this year:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233229&highlight=phishing
Except that this happened on TUG, and not Redweek ! :-(

If you don't think we should be close clicking on a link due to phishing then don't put it in your post. Someone will invariably cluck it thinking you vetted it.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Set up a separate "free" email with a password you don't use anywhere else to use for your classified ads.

That's a GREAT idea. I'm going to do that. Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
good catch, looks like we removed one of the links but not the other.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just deleted all my expired ads from my account. I don't have any current ads, but when I do decide to list something, I'm going to use a new email account just for rentals.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note that deleting ads from the marketplace deletes all messages for those ads, and deleting ads is non-recoverable.

alternatively you can simply go in and edit any ad to change the contact email address.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
note that deleting ads from the marketplace deletes all messages for those ads, and deleting ads is non-recoverable.

alternatively you can simply go in and edit any ad to change the contact email address.

RATS! I never thought of that!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The only thing with using a separate address is that many people forget to check that email address, and then we get complaints for people who are trying to contact them.

Also - even if you set up a separate address - you still can't click on links that a stranger sends you.

kctime

Banned
Reaction score
[Post under review.]

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just another reminder that this is still an issue...people are actively sending emails to members with links to click that ends up with them getting access to your email accounts!

had another person today claim they got an inquiry about an ad they had posted, and the potential renter sent them a link to click on supposedly as a contract/agreement to read over etc...ended up having his aol email compromised.

Last edited: