• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

exchange for a cruise?

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has deposited their week to do an exchange with RCI cruise or a cruise through Registry collection.
I recently deposited a 2 bedroom Grand Mayan with Registry collection.
I believe they have a cruise department, right?
Anyone been on a cruise to Alaska? We plan to go this summer and will be taking our 2 teenage daughters.
Thanks for your help!
Beth

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it has been done, but the usual TUG advice is that a cruise is a lousy use of your MF dollars. It is not a direct exchange, just a discount from the published retail price of the cruise. Nobody pays retail for a cruise. You have to select from RCIs list, which is far from inclusive. You still have to pay gratuities, port charges, etc. on the cruise. Before you commit, check what the cruise discounters charge for the cruise you want, compared to RCIs discounted price, plus the value of your exchange. We use www.vacationstogo.com or www.crucon.com to check prices, then usually book directly with the cruise line. Fwiw, for Alaska, Holland America, or Princess have better access to Glacier Bay than other lines, and that's why you cruise to Alaska.

The only time we've seen exchanging pay off is when booking 4 cabins on the exchange rate.

Jim

RichardY1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used RCI Cruise to book a 15-nt Panama Canal cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego in Nov 2012 on Celebrity. We stayed in AquaClass which was very nice. It cost us 14 RCI "points" (from Weeks program) and supposedly saved us $1200. I called a number of other cruise-booking agencies before finalizing (I think we had 24 hours to secure) and none could come close to the deal we got through RCI. I believe the closest bid for exact same cabin was about $500 more. So I felt that 14 points in my RCI bank netted us at least $500 in savings. To me it was worth it for that cruise but I would always shop around and compare.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I checked with RCI Cruises, their price was higher than using a "discount" travel agent.
We use CruiseCompete.Com to get best price.

Rich:whoopie:

Tfish

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second Cruisecompete.com.

I pick my cruise on Vacationstogo.com, then go to cruisecompete and let them bid on my business.

Works great.

Mike