• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please Help - What's your recent experience with Marc Thomas/The Timeshare Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendyss1

Reaction score
Yes, it's [specifics deleted] a platinum (week 1-50). We really want to keep it if it's possible at all, but unfortunately we have to sell soon due to some financial hardship.

Last edited by a moderator:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think $99 it too much to ask for listing a timeshare. How much does it cost to list it on eBay? Marc could sel it for more than you would be able to sell it for on eBay. There are always a few ads on eBay from owners with very little feedback, no pictures and no understanding of how the timeshare works.

There could be better website for more or less money but you should go with what you feel is right.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way have someone else sell your timeshare for you is to pay a reasonable fee AFTER the sale is completed. When you sell a house you don't pay the realtor beforehand...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The only way have someone else sell your timeshare for you is to pay a reasonable fee AFTER the sale is completed. When you sell a house you don't pay the realtor beforehand...

I agree completely. What cost does this guy incur to add a listing on his site. NONE.

mstoyanov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

I will have to disagree with you about this ownership. Annual MGC 2BR will easily fetch $2k even on the EBay even listed by someone with no feedback.
But it make no sense to pay $1k commission on something that will most likely sell for $3-4k. It make sense to pay reputable broker commission only if he can sell if for more than $1k over going prices on EBay (to cover his commission)

to the OP - study the prices on all sites mentioned (Tug, Redweek, Myresortnetwork, and such) and list it for slightly lower than the lowest comparable price on these websites. If it doesn't sell in several months (or whatever your time limit is) list it on EBay - nothing fancy, just put all detail, offer reputable closing with closing fees clearly stated. You will get slightly less than other sites but it will sell quickly.
In my experience timeshares on EBay (as both buyer and seller) sells for several hundred to $1000 less than what you can get by waiting and listing it on other sites but sells much faster.

Anyone who tells you that your timeshare will sell for thousands of dollars is completely out of touch with the market, or a scammer who is just after your upfront fee.

The sad truth is that there are over 30 timeshares in Las Vegas, and there is far more supply than demand. The reputable brokers (please see the TUG Business ratings) charge a commission of $1,000 and up AFTER the sale. However, there is a good chance that your timeshare won't even sell for $1,000. That is why several people have recommended that you sell it yourself.

Again - reputable brokers do not charge an upfront fee.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

With a house there is the large commission cheque when the house sells. With this timeshare he would get $500. I am sure the success rate of selling a house is much higher than a timeshare. This would be due to a variey of reason on both the websites and the sellers side.

It also means that the seller is serious of selling their timehare and not just offering it at a high price or testing the waters.

There is nothing wrong with charging a small fee, which $99 is, to list a timeshare on the website.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The guy is not a broker, according to the OP. He said he is a Realtor, but you cannot be a Realtor and NOT a broker, so he is making up qualifications.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Too many people are hung up on the paltry $99 listing fee. If you list it on Redweek, it won't be much cheaper by the time you pay the mandatory membership fee and listing fee. MyResortNetwork is cheaper but not free. Those are the only 2 that I would ever use for listing my timeshare for sale.

To me there are only 2 questions, I would ask. Do you want to pay somebody a $500 commission to sell something worth $2-4K. I can certainly understand people that do that. Not everybody wants to be bothered having to deal with the sale. I pay for a lot of services ( gardener, pool service, etc. ) that I could do simply because I don't want to be bothered with it.

If you would rather pay for somebody to sell it for you then $500 is a very reasonable commission.

Now comes the next question. Is this person legitimate and what is their track record. That will take some research to find that out.

Whether the person is a Realtor or not is subject to speculation which a lot of people on this forum like to do without any evidence. To me, that argument means nothing.

There are only 2 things that are important. Do you want to pay somebody to sell your timeshare and is that person legitimate and successful.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Redweek membership + Ad is $40. However, I would be more concerned about the agent, than the $100 fee. See the other discussions that I linked above for more info. In light of those posts - the $100 fee is excessive.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Redweek membership + Ad is $40. However, I would be more concerned about the agent, than the $100 fee. See the other discussions that I linked above for more info. In light of those posts - the $100 fee is excessive.

Not true. Redweek charges $15 membership fee + $60 listing fees ( 12 month listing ) = $75 for resales.

You are citing the listing fee for rentals not resales.

http://www.redweek.com/rent-or-sell-my-timeshare

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My apologies - I was listing the rental fees.

But did you take a look at the posts about this reseller and the things he said about himself?

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My apologies - I was listing the rental fees.

But did you take a look at the posts about this reseller and the things he said about himself?

I didn't say that this reseller was any good. That is why my second questions was "is the person legitimate and successful?" My point is that the fees are not that high but I am not passing judgment on the person. All I see are people speculating and second hand info. There are no posts from the reseller.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
John - in one of the links I posted above, the reseller himself posted on TUG and said that he has a drinking problem and erratic behavior.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
John - in one of the links I posted above, the reseller himself posted on TUG and said that he has a drinking problem and erratic behavior.

Sorry, I didn't see that. If that is the case, then I would steer clear of him. There shouldn't be any need for more discussion because obviously the guy is bad news.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The guy is not a broker, according to the OP. He said he is a Realtor, but you cannot be a Realtor and NOT a broker, so he is making up qualifications.

A clarification:

A Realtor(R) is simply someone who pays a fee to the National Association of Realtors(R) for the privilege of calling themselves that.

In most western states that person can be either a Broker (licensed by the state to initiate listings and sales) or an "agent" licensed by the state to operate under the guidance and control of a designated Broker.

In Washington State about 70% of Realtors(R) are NOT Brokers.

Rick in Spokane (a Broker and a trainer of Brokers and Agents)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

If not a requirement to sell real estate, often the result.

My goodness we arent asking him to babysit our kids

Ron Parise
Realtor

MarcT

Reaction score
Your Wrong

I agree completely. What cost does this guy incur to add a listing on his site. NONE.

Every time someone clicks on your listed ad with me it costs me between $1 - $2 so if I do not charge the $99 and if the seller defaults on maint fees, changes their mind about selling give it to friend or family it will not have been a waste of my time or money. I do not like to charge that fee but I have to to keep sellers from wasting my time and money, the fee is just enough to weed out the serious sellers from the people who don’t even know what they own, the week or unit #, the actual maint fee, etc......

I have zero complaints in 17 years and over 4500 happy owners so don’t tell people how to run my business and I wont tell them how you should run yours!

All your doing is taking money out of my pocket and hurting folks who need me!

Next time you slander me you will here from my attorney!

You have never done business with me so how do you even have an opinion?

Sincerely,
Marc Thomas

MarcT

Reaction score
Drinking Problem

Yes Denise I did have a drinking problem as so many REALTORS such as myself making about 1/4 a million a year. But I have not had a drink in 20 months. And I am a ethical closer who jumps through hoops for all my clients to no end I am true and blue.

I was a binge drinker but I always got the job done and my clients always came first before my beer.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marc - YOU are the one that posted on TUG that you are a binge drinker. No one is slandering you, except yourself. Here is your post:

:whoopie:

Thank you for your stellar report, I am still hee to help, and i am sobber these days, I am a binge drinker and sometimes I drank for the wron reasons, you can count on me to find what you want and the best prices!

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Enough of this nonsense...

Status
Not open for further replies.