• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head Resort question

Lou

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking of going to Hilton Head...for the first time. There seems to be a lot of RCI resorts available in November...probably because the weather will be cooler. Here are some of the resorts available....any recommendations?
Waterside by Spinnaker, Southwind Villas, Sea Crest Surf and Racquet, Brigantine Quarters, Coral Reef, Coral Sands, and Port O'Call.

hjtug

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the TUG reviews if you haven't already done so.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The earlier you go in November the better the weather. Waterside is walkable to the beach. Coral Sands is a farther walk but still doable in nice weather. Parking shouldn't be a problem at that time of year in the public lots so it may not matter. I am not familiar with the other resorts to comment. TUG reviews and RCI reviews should give you a pretty good idea.

Steve NH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brigantine Quarters is also walkable to the beach, they have a special path and gate.
One of our favorites is The Carolina Club. They provide 2 bicycles with each unit. Nice bike to shopping and beach. Also they have a private rec center right there at the units,

Another favorite is Ocean Psalms, Beach is a bit of a walk (doable) but they do have beach shuttle. Very quiet resort.

We stay at HH every winter, Minimum 2 weeks.

We go Late Nov, Dec, and this year it will be Jan.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at the units @ Ocean Palms in April of this year and I agree they are very nice.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Port O Call is also walkable to the beach through a private gate. It has a heated pool, which is very nice to have in November! We own there and love it...early November is a great time to go!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Lou,

If this is your first time on Hilton Head Island I suggest you plan on arriving during daylight hours to give yourself a chance to get oriented.

Parts of Hilton Head are not well lighted which makes it more difficult to locate locations if you are not well oriented.

Have a great trip.

Richard

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Lou,

If this is your first time on Hilton Head Island I suggest you plan on arriving during daylight hours to give yourself a chance to get oriented.

Parts of Hilton Head are not well lighted which makes it more difficult to locate locations if you are not well oriented.
Have a great trip.
Richard

ditto!!!! really great point there, Richard.

I've been going for decades and know my way around very well, BUT I still find it true, maybe more than ever before.....VERY difficult to see the small and inconspicuous signs at night..... sometimes during the day too. LOL

We happened to rent a couple of nights in Shipyard for this past Thursday and Friday nights before beginning a 2-week stay yesterday, and negotiating the roads and streets after dark was challenging to say the least. We don't go into Shipyard much, and so the feeling of being a new visitor suddenly became very real..... not to mention it was raining sideways with high winds on Thursday evening at our time of arrival.

The weather has been beautiful the last few days, if not a teeny bit hazy, but those hit or miss showers will definitely be a possibility for a while. It's that season, but the sun is always around the corner. After checking in we were actually enjoying the sound of the rain---it was then quite cozy and relaxing, and it did cool things off. Love those rainy evenings at the beach.

One more thing----this past Friday and Saturday (not us, thank goodness, but 2 different friends who were headed in told us) traffic going onto the island was horrendous from 2-6pm....long backed-up lines extending out past the outlet malls, bumper to bumper and creeping at 2mph. The 2 cash lines at the toll booth on Cross Island Parkway were about a half-mile long, and moved very slowly too. It was as if everybody was ordering a cheeseburger at the booth.

We were at the outlet mall and saw the Hwy 278 traffic stalled about 5pm, so we decided to eat dinner in Bluffton and waited it out, so when we started for HH it moved normally around 6:30-7pm. I'm sure it was all because of July 4th weekend traffic, but I think every weekend will be almost as bad this next month. Try to arrive as early as midday. You'll be glad. And if you're dining out, you'd better have reservations a few days ahead, AND use your Marriott concierge for call-ahead seating at the places that don't do reservations.

to the OP, I say go for Waterside (I sent you a PM), and also don't discount Royal Dunes, a lesser known but great small resort. It has all 3-BR units and it's a close walk to the beach, located one street behind Barony in Port Royal.

Last edited:

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
We just checked out of Royal Dunes today. What a pleasant surprise, a great but under-the-radar resort.

We stayed at Royal Dunes last year and the resort really is a pleasant surprise. Although, I don't see any availability in RCI Weeks or Points for Royal Dunes in November.

Although we haven't stayed there, from the OP's original list of resorts, I think Waterside would be the best choice based on location and prior reviews. Then Port-O-Call.

I've been researching a lot of resorts on HHI since I'm thinking of a purchasing a condo for investment purposes.

Last edited:

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Looking for hotel recommendation

We need a single night hotel reservation on Friday night 8/21 before we check into Grande Ocean Saturday. We will be driving for 12-14 hours and arriving in the evening. Do not need anything fancy, just need something clean and comfortable for 2 adults/2 kids. Prefer to be near Hilton Head, but outside HHI is ok.

We have a certificate for a cat 1-5 Marriott. Anyone stay at the Fairfield Bluffton? Trip Advisor reviews look iffy. I am not seeing any other Marriotts (other than the MVC or big beachfront Marriott Resort) near Rt 95 to HHI. Prefer Marriott, but also open to other suggestions.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you!

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
We have stayed at the fairfield inn bluffton a couple of times years ago and found it to have a strong scent to it. I call it a "pink scent"
Last year we stayed at the candlewood suited (holiday inn chain) right at sun city. We had a good night and picked it because it had a kitchen and we carry food and cook wherever we go.

There is also a holiday inn closer to hilton head and one at I-95

We have also stayed at: Fairfield inn, springhill suites and townplace suites at the airport. If you are coming from the north it is 18 miles past the turnoff for hilton head.
Pam

wed100105

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just checked out of Royal Dunes today. What a pleasant surprise, a great but under-the-radar resort.

I had to laugh out loud at your post. For some reason based on our posts in the Disney thread I thought you were here this week (July 4-11) and I have been eves dropping and looking at names on coolers to see if I could meet you! Lol!!! I knew our time would overlap, but I incorrectly assumed we were here the same week. Please disregard the email I sent you offering the blue crab catch we had from our crabbing expedition!

We really have loved staying here at Royal Dunes, and it is not far to the beach at all.