• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

shark attacks on Outer Banks

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand there were 2 different shark attack on Cape Hatteras Nat'l Seashore this week. Hasn't been one since 1997. so what is going on with the sharks. The previous week there were 2 on Oak Island NC. Our son will be going to the OBX ina few weeks. at this point I wish he were a hiker and going to the mountains
Pat
:eek:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the statistical gods, while wading in the waves, your son will be 20 times more likely to be attacked by a surfing cow.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
The statistics showing how unlikely you are to be attacked doesn't help those that have been bitten this year so far.

If this keeps up I may not take some ocean swims next week and if the attacks continue I may not go to Daytona on Labor Day week opting to go to the mountains instead.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
News report of another shark attack in NC and this was the sixth attack in two weeks!:wall:
Numbers people throw out on odds of a attack mean nothing if its you or your child being attacked. At what point do people get smart and decide a swimming pool better.:ponder:

Its strange how people still go right back into the water after a attack. It shouldn't take closing a beach to stop people from using their head!:rolleyes:

PHILL12

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
There have also been 2 attacks in the last week not too far north of Hilton Head at Hunting Island. One of the people was standing in only 1 foot of water! These weren't as serious as the ones in NC but still.........

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Seems to be centered around the NC coast. Local news is now saying fishing from the piers and surf fishing may be causing it! Nobody really knows for sure. I'm in the camp of those saying environmental changes are causing it. I'm pretty sure the extreme heat we've been having this year hasn't been a big help either. The ocean water heating up so quickly hasn't helped.

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
We are currently in Avon, part of Hatteras, right where the last shark attack occurred. We haven't stepped foot in the water, but are surprised at the number of people are still swimming and surfing right under/beside the Avon Pier. It's absolutely crazy. Some of them are young kids, not old enough to know better, but their parents should !!!

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the last 2 weeks there has been a total of 7 shark attacks between NC & SC. Even I would stay out of the water. Also some one caught a 5 ft bull shark while fishing. They are very mean. The idiots pushed it back in the ocean. They are coming in VERY close to shore. Shaggy

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Why do they allow people to fish right next to where people are swimming? The sharks smell the bait fish and come in and so you get people bitten. Why don't the life guards stop the people fishing in the surf?

tlwmkw