• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hypothetical (realistic even)-- Buy 52 weeks, own the year.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I think that in lieu of MF I would rather book 52 weeks on cruise ships. The dining and entertainment is so much better!
:banana:

I would go buggy:eek:

Plus I don't think I could eat from the same menu week after week after week. :D

Cheers

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Inside cabin for 2 probably about $60,000 to $70,000 on royal caribbean cruises if cruising the caribbean and bahamas.

Only problem is that you would be going to the same ports every other week.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Eventually you could become a tour guide:D

Cheers

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Inside cabin for 2 probably about $60,000 to $70,000 on royal caribbean cruises if cruising the caribbean and bahamas.

thanks.....

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a fascinating topic, but completely unrealistic for me. I plan to always have pets. My husband loves to garden and hoard stuff. While the simplicity sounds great, I wouldn't want to give up my animal friends.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It's a fascinating topic, but completely unrealistic for me. I plan to always have pets. My husband loves to garden and hoard stuff. While the simplicity sounds great, I wouldn't want to give up my animal friends.

Same here.

Plus, I just spent two weeks in timeshares after already traveling another 2 weeks earlier in the Summer. I missed not only my animal friends and my home - I like my home a lot - but also something simple: my mattress.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here.

Plus, I just spent two weeks in timeshares after already traveling another 2 weeks earlier in the Summer. I missed not only my animal friends and my home - I like my home a lot - but also something simple: my mattress.

If I owned 52 fixed weeks in one unit to live there, I'd be willing to change the mattress.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If I owned 52 fixed weeks in one unit to live there, I'd be willing to change the mattress.

Of course ;)
It's just that the problems with that plan were pointed out early on in the thread and it became a discussion of full-time timesharing or cruising, moving from location to location.

And the other issues still present a challenge: those of us who want pets or gardens etc.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course ;)
It's just that the problems with that plan were pointed out early on in the thread and it became a discussion of full-time timesharing or cruising, moving from location to location.

And the other issues still present a challenge: those of us who want pets or gardens etc.

For sure. 52 fixed weeks is just an odd way to own a home. Moving around all the time costs you the "comforts of home" which is presumably why so few people do it, even though there are many people with poetable careers and even more who are retied.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've often pondered this...
I've stayed in timeshare condos where the individual value of the property was worth less than $100K, and I've stayed in condos where, based on location, property amenities and unit size, the individual unit is worth millions. I've often wondered whether it would be worth it to own 52 weeks. I know there are CC&R limitations.... I know a person could not separate one unit from the timeshare association and call it their own.... but hypothetically, is there an instance where this would be worth it?

I've talked about this with a timeshare owner friend, and it's always fascinated us in theory.
And... Recently, I heard about an instance where individual is said to have purchased 150 timeshare weeks at a resort with a prime location (worth millions.)
I don't want to muddy this OP too much with my thoughts.
Is there an instance where owning 52 weeks at a resort would be worth it?

It really could never be worth it from a financial point of view because although the annual costs could be similar or even advantageous the fact that you're have at very best a fraction of the equity value makes it a situation where it could never make sense financially.

Those that are doing it full-time are doing more from an adventure standpoint which is amazing but not something that is financially beneficial.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
No question doing this full time means giving up all the comforts of home. But I don't think this is a thread to answer the question; does it work for anyone but rather a thread to ask. Is it possible?

For me that's been answered. Yes it is possible

I'm not about to suggest timeshares to someone looking for a full time retirement home. But for snowbirds. The folks that spend two to six months away from home for the weather or the adventure or to be close to the kids and grand kids or just because they can. I think it makes sense

I've sold condos and homes to folks that only use them a few months a year. They tie up hundreds of thousands of dollars in a home and pay taxes insurance and elec and water 12 months a year for just a few months of use

I think timeshares are a reasonable alternative to owning a second home especially a timeshare like Worldmark where you can make long term reservation and stay in the same condo for months at a time.

Instead of comparing time sharing to a full time home I'm comparing it to a second home

I did it differently because of the dog. I considered buying a RV but decided against it. I bought a yacht. And we live on it for months at a time. And yes I have expenses 12 months a year for only a few months of use And I don't like that. but those expenses work out to be no more than 3 months of timeshares. And a whole lot less than a house or condo

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It really could never be worth it from a financial point of view because although the annual costs could be similar or even advantageous the fact that you're have at very best a fraction of the equity value makes it a situation where it could never make sense financially.

Those that are doing it full-time are doing more from an adventure standpoint which is amazing but not something that is financially beneficial.

I don't think that's true at all. First off, the assumption that all homes appreciate in value is just plain wrong. Second, as Ron pointed out you have to factor in the costs associated with a loan if you need one: interest, mortgage insurance. Third, you're discounting the potential to separate the unit from the timeshare HOA and thus own it as a traditional condo which very well could appreciate. Fourth, the OP is suggesting doing it at locations that clearly have high underlying value, not at locations where the land is not valuable.

I'll edit or add another post to explain further with an example.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's true at all. First off, the assumption that all homes appreciate in value is just plain wrong. Second, as Ron pointed out you have to factor in the costs associated with a loan if you need one: interest, mortgage insurance. Third, you're discounting the potential to separate the unit from the timeshare HOA and thus own it as a traditional condo which very well could appreciate. Fourth, the OP is suggesting doing it at locations that clearly have high underlying value, not at locations where the land is not valuable.

I'll edit or add another post to explain further with an example.

It's not that they appreciate it that they at least have some value. A value that timeshares will just never have.

In Vegas based I what I see on TV " Fixing Vegas" or whatever it's called you can get a really nice place for $150k. A decent mortgage and taxes will still be cheaper than the cheapest TS weekly MF X 4.5 weeks unless I'm missing something.

The home may even lose a little value but probably not much whereas the timeshares you're need will be worth a faction of the home value.

So how do you make up for that?

A cheaper option may be to forego the home ownership and just rent. That might be the cheapest of all options but i don't see how full time TS usage makes any possible financial sense.

Believe me i love the idea and hope one day to string our 19 TSs together for trip of the century but doing it 100% just doesn't seem to ever make financial sense.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
It's not that they appreciate it that they at least have some value. A value that timeshares will just never have.
Well that's not even a guarantee. The market changes so if you buy at the wrong time and/or have to sell at the wrong time then it wasn't a good investment. I know a number of people who bought during the bubble and they're simply never going to get any financial value out of owning. The smart financial move would have been to cut their losses and let the bank foreclose, full stop.

In Vegas based I what I see on TV " Fixing Vegas" or whatever it's called you can get a really nice place for $150k. A decent mortgage and taxes will still be cheaper than the cheapest TS weekly MF X 4.5 weeks unless I'm missing something.
No one is talking about Vegas.

This thread is about property like Southern California coast. Specifically, Carlsbad Inn was mentioned. I did the math and you could get 52 weeks at CBI in a 1 bedroom for about $200k or less (assume prime summer weeks average $15k each and non summer weeks are $2-3k each). If you were able to get them all moved to the same unit and get that unit separated from the timeshare (which of course is probably nearly impossible) then it absolutely would make financial sense to do that. THAT is the hypothetical scenario that the OP was asking about.

For reference, a 1 bed condo in that area with similar amenities and views as CBI would go for at least $500k and probably closer to 1 mil. So if this could be done, you could live in it and then sell it for a significant profit.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I think that in lieu of MF I would rather book 52 weeks on cruise ships. The dining and entertainment is so much better!
:banana:

Living on a cruise ship is cheaper than a nursing home. If given the choice we all would pick a cruise or timeshare. Live it up while you can! I enjoy my timeshares, but love my house too!
Silentg

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a recent discussion with an R-C-I rep about getting multiple units for a reunion, he volunteered he knew a guy who owned 52 weeks at a CA resort.
Surprisingly, he said the guy made a lot of $$ using his weeks for exchanges and renting them out. I ended up training the rep on the fact that this was supposedly against exchanging rules. He claimed he didn't know that. :shrug:

franks01

TUG Member
Reaction score

You could always rent out your current home and keep gaining equity while you timeshare for 52 weeks a year. There are some property management companies that can take care of everything for you while you travel. If you can rent for more than your mortgage you can subsidize your timeshare lifestyle with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Full time!!!

It is probably only financially beneficial if you do NOT own or Rent another property. When we counted up that we were only "home" in Ohio for 2 months of the year, we decided it would be cheaper to sell the house and go full time .

So we did.. But..... It means playing the Timeshare Game very seriously or you do not have a place to stay!!!!!

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Or a friend in every port. Maybe get a parcel delivery service going or import business going.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
When it comes to owning timeshares I much prefer to own 52 prime weeks at a resort then 1 week every week of the year. It may cost a little more upfront but the return on renting or ownership would be much better.

It would be nice if weeks could be combined in to one deed. Especially points at the same resort or back to back weeks but not sure legally how that could be done. An LLC may be the closest.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

How would IRS collect federal taxes from all that money you are saving? I am only joking guys. Also, most cruise ships are not registered in the USA.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
You could always rent out your current home and keep gaining equity while you timeshare for 52 weeks a year. There are some property management companies that can take care of everything for you while you travel. If you can rent for more than your mortgage you can subsidize your timeshare lifestyle with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO and I don't plan to timeshare for 52 weeks but we do plan to rent out our homes and rent cheaper in various places once we retire. See the world a year at a time! Rents in OC Ca. Are pretty high the income we get will go farther than staying put.

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
At our timeshare (Charter Club of Marco Island), several owners bought fixed weeks for winter time blocks of 10-17 weeks. I believe that they are in the same unit te entire time.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this was already mentioned in the thread but there are more than 52 weeks in a year so it is technically impossible to have full ownership of all the weeks all the time. That is probably only a minor hiccup though with usage since I am sure you could rent week 53 in the same unit when it comes along. The week 53 policies vary from system to system but I am sure it's a workable option at any place.