• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt residence club Maui..worth it to buy yet? Seriously considering..

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Are we talking about the Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach which is listed as the only Hyatt Residence Club on Maui.

If so, there are units for sale on Redweek for $29K to $59K. The $29K one is a 2BR/2BA Week 20 Ocean Front (EOY) week.

So... If this is the same resort, resales are out there. No need to pay developer prices!

NOTE: That place is pricey!

Last edited:
Reaction score
How about looking at this like this:

Hyatt residence Club Maui 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom = $65,000 purchase + $2,200 annual dues

Most people will not own a home, let alone a timeshare, for 30 years and use it 100% efficiently. So I will try to “estimate” the true cost and use of this purchase over 15 years.

I would assume a 15 year use with 50% depreciation (i.e. resale value) and annual dues going up only $100 per year. I personally think this is very conservative and it may be much worse that my estimate, and highly doubtful it will be better that what I estimate. Look at Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and a few other high end timeshares to see that NONE of them hold original developer values.

Annual dues increases (based on + $100 per year) – BUT this is cumulative and increases more rapidly as the annual dues goes up. I personally think a 5% is a better estimation and that would be $150 per year increase on $3,000 annual dues – so my estimate is very low.
100+200+300+400+500+600+700+800+900+1000+1100+1200+1300+1400+1500

15 Year Hold Plan
$32,500 depreciation + $33,000 annual dues + $12,000 annual dues increases = $77,500 spent over 15 years

$77,500 / 15 years = $5,167 per year cost to own
$5,167 / 7 nights = $738 per night cost to own

Thus, IF you use it every year for 15 years and there is a 50% net resale value (resale value at $32,500 after commissions and fees) if you sell and there is only a $100 per year increase in dues each year (I actually think it may be more like $150 per year and remember this is cumulative) THEN you would still be paying $738 per night for this room.

Also, if you consider the value of $65,000 invested in something like a bond at 3%, that would generate almost $2,000 per year, but that is a totally different discussion – BUT it is a worthwhile discussion when someone is spending $65,000 and $2,000 per year interest would be equivalent to $286 per night credit for 7 nights and this will really make your head spin if you focus too much on it, but anyone that has $65,000 cash to buy a Hyatt timeshare should UNDERSTAND that there are alternative ways to spend this money than buying a timeshare that will probably drop like a rock in value along with being locked into a property with skyrocketing annual dues.

So your estimate of $570-$650 per night is way too low in my opinion.

You stated that you normally stay in $400 per night rooms and that you would accept $600-$700 per night, so this may be affordable to you, BUT I would invest the $65,000 in an income producing investment such as bonds, dividend stocks, rental property down payment, and simply RENT the same Hyatt unit in cash (I am sure you can get it cheaper than $1,200 per night) or many other units in Maui or anywhere in the world on VRBO or HomeAway or Redweek.

Also, if you do buy this, then I think trading for something else will definitely not get you an equivalent property value and that will actually be a loss, but this too is a complicated equation to solve.

Reaction score
Are we talking about the Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach which is listed as the only Hyatt Residence Club on Maui.

If so, there are units for sale on Redweek for $29K to $59K. The $29K one is a 2BR/2BA Week 20 Ocean Front (EOY) week.

There are also 23 rentals on redweek and I did not check any other site.

A 2/2 rents for as low as $400 per night and as high as $1,000 per night

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you'll almost certainly be better off to wait. Rent for a year or two, and wait until someone gets scared of the maintenance and needs to sell/the price goes down. That week will almost certainly be available in 3-4 years for 30k ish. The huge savings by waiting 4 years (35k + 4×2.2k =43,800) would pay for some pretty nice rental accommodations between now and then.

Well... Except for that residual value aspect. You are assuming a purchase would have zero value in 4 years. The true cost (assuming the value stays the same) would be $8800 plus the opportunity cost of having the $35k tied up for that period plus the transfer costs. I estimate about $13800 in true cost for those four years (no inflation included in that back-of-the-napkin analysis).

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well... Except for that residual value aspect. You are assuming a purchase would have zero value in 4 years. The true cost (assuming the value stays the same) would be $8800 plus the opportunity cost of having the $35k tied up for that period plus the transfer costs. I estimate about $13800 in true cost for those four years (no inflation included in that back-of-the-napkin analysis).

Nope, reread the op and my post. I'm assuming the value in 4 years will be 30k, for a 35k loss. I'm basing that on Westin/Marriott comparables on the same beach.

If the OP wants to buy a luxury good I see no reason not to, but I'd wait and buy a resale, and rent in the meantime.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope, reread the op and my post. I'm assuming the value in 4 years will be 30k, for a 35k loss. I'm basing that on Westin/Marriott comparables on the same beach.

If the OP wants to buy a luxury good I see no reason not to, but I'd wait and buy a resale, and rent in the meantime.

Oops. Just got the numbers off your post. Of course, my numbers would work if OP buys resale in the first place!

Kapolei

Reaction score
Maui is nice. But remember that people and places change and you will be locked in to Maui. Don't sell yourself short on Oahu. A multi-billion dollar Atlantis resort is in the planning along with potentially billions more in area development by Chinese investors. This is not another Waikiki but high end development which might fit right in your demographic. Sure, you might find yourself perfectly happy to return year after year to your Maui week. But my guess is that given your age you will be drawn to Ko'olina once it reaches critical mass in the coming years. Posted as an opinion, not for the purposes of debate.

NZBGSF

TUG Member
Reaction score
After many years of vacations in hotels around the world, including Hawaii staying at 5 star properties. My wife & I purchased a 2/2 upper at Hyatt Ka'anapali a few weeks ago after being offered a whale watching tour from a booth by a polite lady at the Whalers Village. We agreed to buy our timeshare on same day as the presentation with the promise of 150k Hyatt Gold Points as an incentive. It is our first timeshare purchase. We have a flexible schedule. My beloved wife works for a major airline that flys to Hawaii points beyond. Perhaps we paid "too much" compared to some on this forum, but see the value in using it for many future years with friends and family at our own or another resort in the Hyatt system. We're not regretting our decision to buy from developer now one bit. Happy wife = Happy life. I counsel anyone interested in HRC to only proceed if it's affordable upfront and if you see yourself maximizing the exchange / getaway benefits in future. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score
Having a member of your family at an airline can certainly change the equation. When talking about owning in Hawaii, airfare can become an issue if people are envisioning traveling every year with a big family for an annual trip. That is probably one of the biggest reasons Hawaii weeks get dumped last minute. I have benefited from multiple staycations from last minute fire sales or dumping of 2 bedroom units into II.

hot2trot

Reaction score
It's Maui, It's on the beach, and it is Hyatt! The price is only going to go up. I would suggest buying resale. And Yes, the MF's will go up, figure 10% per year. MF are high in Hawaii because it costs a LOT to maintain property there. The climate is VERY hard on buildings and the interiors.

IF you are going to GO there EVERY YEAR, then go for it! When a developer first opens up the property the prices are the best they are going to get. The only challenge with Maui is the airfare to get there. If you live on the West Coast, no big deal, further away....maybe not. Ask yourself, how often have you gone to Hawaii??? Do you honestly see yourself going every year?

I have friends that own in Hawaii and LOVE IT! Me, I exchange there because I know I won't go there but maybe every 3 or 4 or 5 years. Maui is so beautiful! Best wishes for whatever you do!

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
The price is only going to go up.

The RETAIL price is going to go up but the MARKET (Real) value (what it sells for resale) will go down.

MF are high in Hawaii because it costs a LOT to maintain property there.

The MF are high because the property taxes are high on Hawaiian timeshares and the cost of utilities on the islands are really high compared to the mainland.

PJCrecca

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Maui
I enjoyed reading these posts - especially as an owner of two 3BR weeks at Hyatt Maui - and considering a 3rd week. I agree with most of what's been posted - if money is the most important thing to you - don't buy a timeshare and especially not in Hawaii and especially not at Hyatt. But a couple of things I did not see posted. Buying on the resale market sounds nice money wise - but you are excluded from trading as an original owner in the Hyatt network - which is not a small thing. Second, Hyatt properties are deeded in perpetuity - you pass them on to your kids and their kids - it's deeded real estate - not all Timeshares are - but Hyatt presently is. But that to is changing. I am currently in Key West at a Hyatt property- and the word is - deeded ownership in perpetuity is going away soon. Again, if money is the most important factor - no discussion. But spend a night in a 1400 sf 2BR/2 bath villa - or a 2300 sf 3BR villa with a 70 foot lanai overlooking Maul bay in whale season - and you will never be happy in a 400 sf hotel room again. Mahalo.

PS - we live in New Jersey, so no small airfare. I have traveled to essentially every country in the world except those in Africa - and aside from U.K., Paris specifically, and Italy - Maui is paradise.

Lanswitch

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South
The Gardens at West Maui
I enjoyed reading these posts - especially as an owner of two 3BR weeks at Hyatt Maui - and considering a 3rd week. I agree with most of what's been posted - if money is the most important thing to you - don't buy a timeshare and especially not in Hawaii and especially not at Hyatt. But a couple of things I did not see posted. Buying on the resale market sounds nice money wise - but you are excluded from trading as an original owner in the Hyatt network - which is not a small thing. Second, Hyatt properties are deeded in perpetuity - you pass them on to your kids and their kids - it's deeded real estate - not all Timeshares are - but Hyatt presently is. But that to is changing. I am currently in Key West at a Hyatt property- and the word is - deeded ownership in perpetuity is going away soon. Again, if money is the most important factor - no discussion. But spend a night in a 1400 sf 2BR/2 bath villa - or a 2300 sf 3BR villa with a 70 foot lanai overlooking Maul bay in whale season - and you will never be happy in a 400 sf hotel room again. Mahalo.

PS - we live in New Jersey, so no small airfare. I have traveled to essentially every country in the world except those in Africa - and aside from U.K., Paris specifically, and Italy - Maui is paradise.
Please take a look at my recent posting for the Hyatt Regency Maui which reflects my opinion on the Hyatt Residences on Maui. It is NOT a fancy mathematical analysis, just some thoughts on why the Regency (or any other hotel) is better than purchasing at the Hyatt Residences, or almost any other timeshare directly from the developer.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Resale owners can trade using Hyatt points.

They can't trade for hotel stays, which is generally considered poor value anyway.

PJCrecca

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Maui
Please take a look at my recent posting for the Hyatt Regency Maui which reflects my opinion on the Hyatt Residences on Maui. It is NOT a fancy mathematical analysis, just some thoughts on why the Regency (or any other hotel) is better than purchasing at the Hyatt Residences, or almost any other timeshare directly from the developer.

Thanks. But I don't need to review your not-fancy math analysis as been a CEO/CFO for 20+ years - and BTW your response says it all - its all about the money. Does the Hyatt Regency Hotel - at which we've stayed 15+ times since the early 80s - have a 1400 sf or 2300 sf suite - and if so so at what price? You've just proven my point - it's all about the money, not the quality of life while you are alive.

Work smarter - make more - live better.

Don't be a slave to money. Just my opinion.

PJCrecca

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Maui
Resale owners can trade using Hyatt points.

They can't trade for hotel stays, which is generally considered poor value anyway.

Have you actually tried or done this - exchange points within the Hyatt network?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

Can you explain what you mean by Hyatt resale owners are not able to "trade as an original owner in the Hyatt network"? We just bought two Hyatt deeded weeks resale (one annual, one EOY). What will we be missing specifically? Thanks in advance!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Have you actually tried or done this - exchange points within the Hyatt network?

Ownership hasn't transferred yet, but I have read every post on TUG re: Hyatt, and have yet to read one complaint from "resale" owners about trading into other Hyatt resorts. In fact, I have read nothing but praise about the Hyatt system and tradeability.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Do it all the time, in fact used my hyatt points to get a 2 bedroom week at hyatt maui residence club last year.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Actually when you say that Hyatt owners who purchased resale are restricted from trading in the Hyatt network, this is not quite correct.

Resale owners trade through Hyatt Residence Club exactly the same way as developer-purchase owners do.

The difference is in access to the Hyatt hotel network- developer purchasers can convert their Hyatt points to hotel points whereas resale owners cannot. No great loss to most of us, as it's not a great value to do this. Besides, most of us find we'll never be happy in a 400 sf hotel room again. ;)

Worth pointing out that your comment about the restriction on resale owners usage was only partially correct.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

Lol, yes I have done it many many times. I have never stayed at my home resort.

Resale purchaser BTW.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually when you say that Hyatt owners who purchased resale are restricted from trading in the Hyatt network, this is not quite correct.

Resale owners trade through Hyatt Residence Club exactly the same way as developer-purchase owners do.

The difference is in access to the Hyatt hotel network- developer purchasers can convert their Hyatt points to hotel points whereas resale owners cannot. No great loss to most of us, as it's not a great value to do this. Besides, most of us find we'll never be happy in a 400 sf hotel room again. ;)

Worth pointing out that your comment about the restriction on resale owners usage was only partially correct.

Thanks for the clarifying comment. One reason we bought our Hyatt deeded weeks/units (as well as Wyndham points) was to avoid hotel rooms. The ability to trade our 2/2 for a bedroom is of absolutely no value to us. I feel sorry for the person who was told not to buy resale because they couldn't trade in the Hyatt TS system, and that caused them to over spend by tens of thousands of dollars....

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Lol, yes I have done it many many times. I have never stayed at my home resort.

Resale purchaser BTW.

The hyatt sales weasel at carmel highlands inn perpetuated this lie by telling me resale owners can't trade internally to other residence clubs. I suspect many of the buyers fall for this b.s. and try to justify their purchase of $65,000 weeks by passing on this misinformation.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We met an employee of the Hyatt, a friend of our friends who stayed with us last month at Hono Koa, and she was telling us that a family who had already purchased 8 weeks were purchasing another three this trip. She couldn't believe a person would have enough cash to pay for that many weeks. It's going to be their home away from home, apparently. It's a beautiful resort.