• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Pure Points

moandtek

Reaction score
We were pitched a buy out of 3 properties by LUXURY PLATINUM ADVENTURES that ended up being a purchase of 10,000/year of RCI PURE POINTS from FLORIDA VACATION VILLAS CLUB IN KISSIMMEE. They have us scheduled to speak to CAPITAL MARKETING & RESEARCH today about the sale of these properties, two of which are in Mexico. Is this a good deal or a scam? The fact that 4 different entities are involved gives me a great deal of concern.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There really is no such thing as RCI "pure points." RCI points all have underlying timeshares deeds.

They want you to buy a membership in their vacation club that will give you access to some kind of points.

I've never heard of a vacation club that sounded secure and Legit.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steer clear. All the vacation clubs we've seen simply market unused, leftover weeks that may or may not continue to be available when you want to vacation... 10,000 RCI Points is barely enough for an off-or shoulder season exchange... Once they have your membership fee, you have no leverage on them to provide what they have promised. They can fold, close the doors, stop answering the phone and open under a different name taking your money with them.

Jim

moandtek

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. This just didn't sound right. I spoke with RCI today and they didn't think this was legit either. It reminds me of the promises of complete flexibility made by El Cid.
We definitely need to sell some of our timeshares. Any suggestion?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. This just didn't sound right. I spoke with RCI today and they didn't think this was legit either. It reminds me of the promises of complete flexibility made by El Cid.

Timeshares today have little to no resale value- especially Mexican 'right-to-use' ones.

First- DO NOT pay anyone an upfront fee more than a minimal advertising fee to do it for you.

Second, you can list them free in the TUG Bargain Deals subforum at the top of the Buying, Selling, Renting forum. Or by joining TUG ($15/yr) you can write a for sale ad in the Marketplace (In the red stripe above).

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There is a "pure RCI points" product that was sold in Europe several years ago. I don't know if it still is being sold. There were a number of resorts that were placed in a trust and then RCI points packages were sold. RCI may have even been the administrator of the trust. That being said they were never sold in North America.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

Passepartout gave you good advice to consider selling on TUG in the bargain section. If you think that any of your timeshare may have some value (the Sheraton??), consider listing them on Tug2.com. I bought a timeshare from another TUG member there and was quite satisfied with the process and the outcome.

frog4ever

TUG Member
Reaction score
New system of time sharing- LPA Luxury Platinum Adventures

I got a post card in the mail offering a free dinner and $25 gift card to hear the "new system" of time sharing. They said some new ruling passed and all time shares had to inform owners of this and a huge conference in Los Angeles took place 18 months ago. Since we didn't get the certified mailing we were still eligible to get rid of our maintenance fees. Luxury Platinum Adventures would convert our old system time share into the new one for only $9000-$12,000 in turn we would get 10,000 RCI points based out of Florida Vacation Villa club, either every year or EOY. We wouldn't have any maintenance fee and only pay a club fee of ~$229 the years we used it. It seemed kinda fishy. I'd rather rehome my shell points to someone on TUG when we are ready, rather than pay $9000.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a post card in the mail offering a free dinner and $25 gift card to hear the "new system" of time sharing. They said some new ruling passed and all time shares had to inform owners of this and a huge conference in Los Angeles took place 18 months ago. Since we didn't get the certified mailing we were still eligible to get rid of our maintenance fees. Luxury Platinum Adventures would convert our old system time share into the new one for only $9000-$12,000 in turn we would get 10,000 RCI points based out of Florida Vacation Villa club, either every year or EOY. We wouldn't have any maintenance fee and only pay a club fee of ~$229 the years we used it. It seemed kinda fishy. I'd rather rehome my shell points to someone on TUG when we are ready, rather than pay $9000.

Nonsense. At best, this is just another worthless travel club. At worst, it's just one more "Post Card Company" among far too many --- or perhaps an outright scam.

If there was in fact a "new system" and a "huge conference" and "legal rulings" (...supposedly a year and a half ago now, btw :rolleyes:), don't you think that someone here on this site among tens of thousands of knowledgeable and experienced timeshare people would probably have learned about it by now, reported it and discussed it at great length at some point during the past 18 months? :shrug:

Whoever these "Luxury Platinum Adventures" people are, in the final analysis the only "conversion" that would take place is a conversion of $9000 -- $12,000 of your hard earned money from your bank account into theirs.

What could you (or anyone else) do with just 10,000 RCI Points anyhow? That's far too few RCI Points to even be useful. Also, you could obtain multiple times that amount of RCI Points (for peanuts) almost any day of the week on eBay or elsewhere, while leaving your $9,000 -- $12,000 in the bank. Btw, paying $229 per year (which sounds just like the RCI "exchange fee" amount to me) for 10,000 RCI Points is no particular bargain by any standard or measure either.

While one can certainly admire the imagination and creativity behind such contrived schemes and fairy tales, it's ultimately still just smoke and mirrors and surely not worth your time and / or a $25 gift card --- with or without a rubber chicken or beans and franks "dinner".

The bottom line is that you can't make your existing ownership and / or its' associated maintenance fees just somehow disappear, despite paying $9,000 -- $12,000 out of pocket to participate in this particular (apparently new) "magic show".

P.S. Along these same lines of wondrous (but mythical) benevolence, I also regret to note that there is also no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny either. ;)

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a post card in the mail offering a free dinner and $25 gift card to hear the "new system" of time sharing.

Why do you need to be invited to a night out "to hear the 'new system' of time sharing"? From what you have described, they've already explained the system.

frog4ever

TUG Member
Reaction score
LannyPC, I went to the dinner and that is what I learned. The post card and the call was vague.

The dinner was at Joe's Crab Shack and it was pretty tasty.

Haha, Theo, I know I would have heard of something on here if it were legit. I didn't see anything when I used the search function except for this posting. Very little came up on an internet search.

I guess the fairy Godmother isn't real either. I just really wanted to know what they were selling.

wmjerome

Reaction score
There really is no such thing as RCI "pure points." RCI points all have underlying timeshares deeds.

They want you to buy a membership in their vacation club that will give you access to some kind of points.

I've never heard of a vacation club that sounded secure and Legit.
A resort can then, either divide all the points and assign those points to each unit based on the size, time of year etc. then sell these units with the number of Points that are attached to that specific unit. The larger the number of points the higher the price and the higher the maintenance fees. If you're not using your points ever year, your paying more for maintenance fees than you need to be. Plus not everyone Vacations every year or until they pass away, but are still obligated to pay those maintenance fees up until the owner passes away or tries to sell their timeshare for (pennies on the dollar). And, children of many owners do not want to be obligated or burdened with maintenance fees that continue to increase.

(or) the resort can maintain all the points and just sell memberships to individual customers. Typically 10,000 annual points $99 annual vacation membership fee with the resort. RCI Fees are the same as Owners.
So each year I only need to purchase the difference between 10,000 and the number of points I need for a specific vacation.
If a vacation that costs 35,000 points (avg for 1 BR) I would need to purchase 25,000 points at 1.5 cents each. ($375). With a membership you can continue for life or cancel your membership at any time with out and fees involved ~ :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The above advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Not worthy of the time it takes to read it. Old thread, too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
wmjerome - my spidey senses tell me that you have a vested interest in posting this info - probably work for a vacation club?

MarcT

Reaction score
We were pitched a buy out of 3 properties by LUXURY PLATINUM ADVENTURES that ended up being a purchase of 10,000/year of RCI PURE POINTS from FLORIDA VACATION VILLAS CLUB IN KISSIMMEE. They have us scheduled to speak to CAPITAL MARKETING & RESEARCH today about the sale of these properties, two of which are in Mexico. Is this a good deal or a scam? The fact that 4 different entities are involved gives me a great deal of concern.

RCI Pure Points has been around for 10 years. The points come from a resort so that the program is not over sold. Its a lifetime membership with access to up to 500,000 points each year for 1.5 cents. Annual membership fee $199.

Last edited by a moderator:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
And why are we resurrecting a thread that is over four years old?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
And why are we resurrecting a thread that is over four years old?

Because the person that resurrected the thread sells them for a living. Not the first time someone with a vested interest did that here.