• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II unit size upgrade fees

greenfrog

Reaction score
Is this something new ?

Playing around this morning on my II account, seeing what is available in exchange for my MGV units, I am finding unit size upgrade fee's.

I can exchange my 1 bed MGV for other Marriott 2 beds for the normal exchange fee plus an extra £39 ($54). The same fee applies if I exchange my 2 bed for a 3 bed. The fee seems to apply to most exchanges but not all.

Has this been around for a while and I've missed it ? When was it announced ?

Last edited by a moderator:

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like it is going to cost me $99 to go from a studio to a one bedroom and $198 to go from a studio to a two bedroom.

greenfrog

Reaction score
In fact the fee applies even if I trade my Marriott to a non-Marriott.

£39 for a one bed upgrade (i.e. studio to 1 bed) or £78 (approx. $120) for a 2 bed upgrade (i.e. studio to 2 bed or 1 bed to 3 bed)

This could be expensive !

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
This is very disappointing for those who exchange through II a lot. It appears this is required to be paid even for MVC enrolled weeks. Anyone know the details or guidelines associated to this new charge. Appears no added charge within flex change perhaps, only beyond that.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I suppose this was bound to happen. How many times have people gone into presentations and bragged about being able to upgrade unit size and have a salesman tell us it's coming to an end. Well, it hasn't come to an end but it appears to have become more expensive.

In 2015 I upgraded a unit size from 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom and another exchange from a studio to a 1 bedroom (that was a Marriott/Marriott exchange) and didn't see the fee on either exchange. This year(2016) I've already made a 2017 exchange where I've upgraded from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom without an extra fee but, there's a big difference in resort quality and season as we're going from a high demand Las Vegas week at Marriott's Grand Chateau to a lower demand May week at Westgate Branson Lakes in Hollister (Branson) MO.

Right now I still have a 2 bedroom unit on deposit but, that one won't be upgraded. I'm waiting to see if I can book a home week at one of our resorts in Breckenridge (tough week to get) or if I'll need to exchange back into our home resort (much easier to do) as in the past. Still, I'm not looking to upgrade the size of that week.

In the end I think I'd rather pay fee's to upgrade in size VS paying increased membership fee's or increased exchange fee's similar to what's gone on over at RCI.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
In fact the fee applies even if I trade my Marriott to a non-Marriott.

£39 for a one bed upgrade (i.e. studio to 1 bed) or £78 (approx. $120) for a 2 bed upgrade (i.e. studio to 2 bed or 1 bed to 3 bed)

This could be expensive !

But still cheaper than owning 2 one bedroom unit than a 2 bedroom lock-off unit where you exchange the studio for a larger size unit. I'll still be happy locking off my 3 bedroom unit into a studio and a 2 bedroom unit, then trading/upgrading size of the studio than paying MF's on two units.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
This will likely change the landscape of exchanging if members elect to not pay the upgrade fee's.

Right now when I want to do an instant online exchange, I typically see a LOT of studio units. I understand this because it's other owners doing the exact same thing I'm doing......stretching the value of their ownership by locking off and getting two vacations out of one ownership. That's worked exceptionally well for us when we've been able to upgrade a studio to a larger unit and, we've been able to do that every time with a little flexibility and effort.

Perhaps this will encourage members to deposit their entire unit rather than lock-off. Perhaps the availability of larger units will get better. I sort of doubt it as I anticipate most will complain about the size upgrade fee but will continue the same exchange practices and pay it anyway. I know I will.

Fortunately for us our usage and ownerships have evolved over the years. A decade ago I was locking off and trading up with nearly every exchange we made. At this point in time we have only one unit where we might lock-off and attempt to upgrade a studio to a larger unit.

Correcaminos

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Driving to points?

Will this encourage owners of "high-value" Marriott studios and one-bedrooms to elect Vacation Club points and then use these points to book an exchange with Marriott - instead of depositing in II?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Will this encourage owners of "high-value" Marriott studios and one-bedrooms to elect Vacation Club points and then use these points to book an exchange with Marriott - instead of depositing in II?

That's another possibility but, using points carries a built in upgrade fee if you will. I don't particularly see it as an incentive to use points over weeks exchanges.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score

I doubt it.
We enrolled our weeks back when it started because it was cheap.
One of the benefits was no other fees than the annual club fee.
For those of us with multiple lock-offs, was an easy decision as the fee is much less than all the lock-off and exchange fees.

So enrolled owners still pay no fees. I just checked and my studio trade up to a 2 bedroom is still fee free.

So this only impacts those who have non-enrolled weeks.

greenfrog

Reaction score
It seems that there is no upgrade fee if the exchange is within 59 days. Everything else greater than 59 days seems to have the fee applied.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I doubt it.
We enrolled our weeks back when it started because it was cheap.
One of the benefits was no other fees than the annual club fee.
For those of us with multiple lock-offs, was an easy decision as the fee is much less than all the lock-off and exchange fees.

So enrolled owners still pay no fees. I just checked and my studio trade up to a 2 bedroom is still fee free.

So this only impacts those who have non-enrolled weeks.

Hmm. My weeks are enrolled, but I still see the new upgrade fees if searching beyond the flexchange window? Were you looking in flexchange?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
It seems that there is no upgrade fee if the exchange is within 59 days. Everything else greater than 59 days seems to have the fee applied.

This was not true for me this morning. Used my SR studio to Aruba July 9 th and a $99 upgrade fee was listed for a non Marriott 1 bedroom. Computer error ?? I doubt it, but a deterrent for sure.

Units I just looked at last night at Frenchman's cove for August now have a $198 upgrade fee.

Interval just downgraded the value of timeshares tremendously in my opinion for me as I always trade and always upgrade.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

If Enrolled weeks do have to pay the fees, it will definitely impact my likelihood to deposit my lockoff resort units in II. My recent exchange experiences with II have deteriorated, so I would rather deposit my week for VC points than take my chances with II. Previously, I would typically lockoff MCV and exchange both for 1 or 2BR at other MVC resorts during non-prime. Now I will either use my week, rent it out, or convert to VC points.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If Enrolled weeks do have to pay the fees, it will definitely impact my likelihood to deposit my lockoff resort units in II. My recent exchange experiences with II have deteriorated, so I would rather deposit my week for VC points than take my chances with II. Previously, I would typically lockoff MCV and exchange both for 1 or 2BR at other MVC resorts during non-prime. Now I will either use my week, rent it out, or convert to VC points.

I took an upgrade from a 1BR to a 2BR all the way to the payment page for an enrolled Marriott week. The $59 upgrade fee is being charged on the exchange. The exchange fee does show a $0. This is the breakdown on the payment page. I am II platinum, so the fee is only $59 instead of $99 for regular members.

Your Transaction
Exchange $0.00
Unit-Size Upgrade $59.00
Total: $59.00

This is a huge hit to the value of exchanging through II. Still cheaper to lock off and exchange both sides as $59 or whatever the fee is, is still cheaper than the MF on the other side of the lock off.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
But still cheaper than owning 2 one bedroom unit than a 2 bedroom lock-off unit where you exchange the studio for a larger size unit. I'll still be happy locking off my 3 bedroom unit into a studio and a 2 bedroom unit, then trading/upgrading size of the studio than paying MF's on two units.

This is really how we need to look at it. As annoying as it is, we are still getting a good deal. In this game of exchanging, we are at the mercy of the exchange companies. We don't have to exchange, but if we do we have to play by the rules set by the exchange companies. They used to be pretty generous (sure - we'll take your little studio unit and give you a two bedroom - no problem!) but times are changing, unfortunately. In the big scheme of things, exchanging, even with the added fees, is still cheaper than renting for a lot of resorts.

Frankly I am more annoyed at the $80 lockoff fee charged by Marriott. That is ridiculous.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This is really how we need to look at it. As annoying as it is, we are still getting a good deal. In this game of exchanging, we are at the mercy of the exchange companies. We don't have to exchange, but if we do we have to play by the rules set by the exchange companies. They used to be pretty generous (sure - we'll take your little studio unit and give you a two bedroom - no problem!) but times are changing, unfortunately. In the big scheme of things, exchanging, even with the added fees, is still cheaper than renting for a lot of resorts.

Frankly I am more annoyed at the $80 lockoff fee charged by Marriott. That is ridiculous.

The $80 is more justified than the new upgrade fee. The purpose of that $80 lock off fee is to reimburse the HOA for the added costs of housekeeping for two units instead of one. It isn't a pure profit center for Marriott like the upgrade fee is with II.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The $80 is more justified than the new upgrade fee. The purpose of that $80 lock off fee is to reimburse the HOA for the added costs of housekeeping for two units instead of one. It isn't a pure profit center for Marriott like the upgrade fee is with II.

What added housekeeping cost? They are cleaning the same size unit either way.

I don't pay a lock off fee at SDO.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Hmm. My weeks are enrolled, but I still see the new upgrade fees if searching beyond the flexchange window? Were you looking in flexchange?

My first search included June 30 thru November 18 th dates and even July weeks where showing an upgrade fee. I returned to interval international and just entered the next 59 days in my search. No fee.

Maybe it was a glitch. Still not happy with the fees. Wonder how long we will get flex change reprieve for. As my SO always says it's just another way for them to separate you from your money.

Looking forward to retirement and using the studios during flexchange if there is still no fee at that time!

If you put in an OGS for 2 resorts 1 with 1 bed units and 1 with only 2 bed units and used a 1 bed to search would you have to pay the fee upfront? And what if you eventually matched with only the 1 bed resort? Would you get a refund?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My first search included June 30 thru November 18 th dates and even July weeks where showing an upgrade fee. I returned to interval international and just entered the next 59 days in my search. No fee.

Maybe it was a glitch. Still not happy with the fees. Wonder how long we will get flex change reprieve for. As my SO always says it's just another way for them to separate you from your money.

Looking forward to retirement and using the studios during flexchange if there is still no fee at that time!

Perhaps a glitch, or perhaps one on my end. I entered a two year date range and the upgrade fees were only showing up for dates outside the flexchange window.

If you put in an OGS for 2 resorts 1 with 1 bed units and 1 with only 2 bed units and used a 1 bed to search would you have to pay the fee upfront? And what if you eventually matched with only the 1 bed resort? Would you get a refund?

Q. Will I get a chance to upgrade my unit size if I placed a pending request?

At this time, unit-size upgrades are only available with an instant exchange confirmation. If you placed a pending request and a larger unit becomes available, you may be contacted by an advisor from our Vacation Assistance Department, who will offer you the unit and collect the Unit-Size Upgrade fee.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

What added housekeeping cost? They are cleaning the same size unit either way.

I don't pay a lock off fee at SDO.

It is the exact same unit whether locked off or not. Starwood/Vistana charges more MF for a lock off but that is due to the extra area (lock offs are larger). The only extra cost would be additional administrative costs to maintain 2 reservations vs one and two separate checkin/CC deposit, etc.

$80 is definitely on the high end. Usually the fees range from $0-$50.
Marriott no only charges it to owners who lock off, they also charge it to points members when the book using points as reserving the studio and one bedroom requires more points than booking the single unit.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is the exact same unit whether locked off or not. Starwood/Vistana charges more MF for a lock off but that is due to the extra area (lock offs are larger). The only extra cost would be additional administrative costs to maintain 2 reservations vs one and two separate checkin/CC deposit, etc.

$80 is definitely on the high end. Usually the fees range from $0-$50.
Marriott no only charges it to owners who lock off, they also charge it to points members when the book using points as reserving the studio and one bedroom requires more points than booking the single unit.

Even though they are still the same unit, there are added housekeeping costs. The checkin checkout dates may not line up right for both sides of the lock off. So you still need to send two people on two different days to clean a unit. Perhaps not worth $80, but there are added cleaning costs there. The same is true for short stay 3/4 reservations with Marriott. Similar fee applies due to the added cleaning costs.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For weeks based system the check in/check out dates could and should match for the same unit numbers. It would be much more efficient to assign certain units as check in Fri vs check in Sat, etc so the house keepers are mainly in the same buildings or areas on the same day rather than cleaning every 3rd unit through out the entire resort grounds. Now with the points system and check in and out any day is different but that extra fee should be handled by those using the points.