• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott or Westin in Palm Desert, Palm Springs, CA? Going in early December.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have all of these weeks to use, so I was thinking of a week in the Palm Desert at one of the resorts. Westin Mission Hills pops up, and occasionally I see the other Westin too. Also all of the Marriott resorts. Since we are flexible now, we don't care what dates.

What would your top choice be?

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO-

In this order:

1. Desert Spring Villas
2. Desert Springs Villas II
3. Westin Desert Willows
4. Shadow Ridge
5. Westin Mission Hills

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I agree with DSVI first - just because of access to the spa at the JW. After that I think that any of them would be fine - they are pretty close in amenities/location. The differences would be negligible to me.

Btw bastroum - not disagreeing with your list at all. :)

Last edited:

ACE1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bastroum. Mission Hills and Shadow Ridge would be my last choices. We own at Desert Willow but love Villas I. We've stayed at all of the properties except the Enclaves.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I haven't stayed there, you may want to add in Club Intrawest Palm Desert. We drove through it while staying at DSVII and thought it would be our first choice in the future.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I haven't stayed there, you may want to add in Club Intrawest Palm Desert. We drove through it while staying at DSVII and thought it would be our first choice in the future.

I've stayed there. Although the condos are nice, they are not as nice as DSV or DSV-II and you don't get that "resort feel" that you get at the Marriott properties. It is however, quiet and peaceful.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've stayed there. Although the condos are nice, they are not as nice as DSV or DSV-II and you don't get that "resort feel" that you get at the Marriott properties. It is however, quiet and peaceful.

Adding to this... There are no in unit washer/dryers (but are available in each building). Also, the downstairs two bed unit has a very very small living room.

Sent from my iPad

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Club Intrawest was one of my favorite stays, lol. Just goes to show how different everyone is!

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rank Marriott Desert I and II slightly ahead of WDW, although WDW has a small 1 BR with kitchen while Marriott has traditional studio. We will not stay in the studio at Marriott while the small 1 BR is roomy.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would rank DSV1 and 2 at the top followed by WDW. However, any of them would provide for a nice stay.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Mike

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
We would welcome input on WDW and WMH from folks who have stayed there / are owners (ie input on the overall property, pools, restaurants, amenities, etc).

We are Marriott owners at Shadow Ridge. We have stayed there as well as DSVI and DSVII many times over the years. We very much enjoy these Marriott properties, although recently we thought it might be nice to try someplace new. Thanks in advance for your input.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not stayed at WDW, however, I've toured the units. They are nice but appeared much smaller than all the Marriott units.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This depends. Overall size of the 2 BR and 1 BR is larger at the Marriotts. The small side at the Marriotts is basically a hotel room whereas the WDW has a very nice size studio that is well equipped with a separate dining area (albeit small) and living area. We would not hesitate to stay in the small side at WDW, but will not stay in the small side at the Marriotts.

I have not stayed at WDW, however, I've toured the units. They are nice but appeared much smaller than all the Marriott units.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have stayed at WMH and WDW and would prefer WDW. It is newer for one thing. The main pool area is very nice and there is another pool close to a couple of the buildings away from the lobby/main pool.

Mike

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at all of them except Shadow Ridge and Enclaves but I did tour Shadow Ridge.

DSV1 2BR is the largest, like 1600 sq ft. The studio while does not have a full kitchen, is spacious and has a separate walk in shower in addition to the tub. The downside is that it has 2 separate beds in the studio. The 1BR and studio are separated by a locked off hallway and it makes it great for 2 couples travelling together, with gives each couple their privacy. My favorite is DSV1 simply because it is large and very luxurious. It has free spa access to JW Marriott on Mon-Fri although I have never used it. I also love JW Marriott restaurants which are superior to Westin Mission Hills restaurants, in taste, freshness and variety. JW Marriott has a gondola that takes you to restaurants and a ride there and back to the main hotel is fun to do.

DSV2 is a regular 2BR lockoff, smaller and less luxurious than DSV1. Studio has 1 bed (Queen) and very small, with shower over tub - has a hotel room feel but still nice. No fireplace. No free access to JW Marriott spa. This is probably my second choice because again, the affiliation to JW Marriott is huge for us. We eat out 2 meals a day and having the convenience and discount is nice. It is a long walk or you can take a shuttle to JW Marriott.

The golf courses at Desert Springs are quite poorly maintained and I won't play there again.

WMH 2BR is bright and open, and very standard "Westin" in its feel. The exterior look of the buildings are quite "ugly", in my opinion. Shuttles run all day to take you around the property and to the hotel. WMH hotel restaurants are really not great, surprisingly. The room layout and restaurant access probably makes it my third choice. I have not played at the golf courses here but will do so when I stay there next year.

WDW 2BR is darker but still nice. The exterior is very pretty and architecture is modern. It has a lone restaurant with very limited menu. Food is OK. Desert Willows golf courses are quite nice. This is my 4th choice due to the limited restaurant choices but the concierge here is superior to the above 3. So I may make it my 3rd choice, I am not sure at this point. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We chose Desert Springs Villas I and really are excited to stay in the area for the first time. I just booked it yesterday and hesitated a bit when I saw Westin available. I love the Heavenly Beds, but I took everyone's advice and chose DSVI. It was nice to have so many choices. Gotta love timeshare!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Outstanding! We love it there. Have a great time.

Mike

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO-

In this order:

1. Desert Spring Villas
2. Desert Springs Villas II
3. Westin Desert Willows
4. Shadow Ridge
5. Westin Mission Hills

I would not stay in the Studio portion of either DSV or DSV II, it's too small.

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Kids ages which property

Hello,

Thinking about going there as well in February and we will have our 3 kids ages 16, 12, 4 with us. Which of the resorts would you say is the most kid friendly? Thank you!

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shadow Ridge or DSV-II would be the best. If you don't have a reservation by now for February 2016, it will be a tough trade for a 2BD.

ljlong15

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin?

Thank you for the response. The Westin looks nice as well. I have a SBP which I thought I could try and trade. Would that be a good resort as well for kids if I can get it? Not getting my hopes up.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. The Westin looks nice as well. I have a SBP which I thought I could try and trade. Would that be a good resort as well for kids if I can get it? Not getting my hopes up.

Yes, Westin is great for kids too. Between WMH and WDW, WMH may be an easier trade. I don't believe bulk deposit has happened for 2016 yet. You may get a trade for Feb. March is the hardest to get.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score

WMH usually gets Feb/March/April weeks deposited every year - but easter week is typically not included in the bulk deposit. I'm pretty sure these have not yet been made this year - I've had an ongoing search in for a few months now. Putting in an ongoing search will alert you to when the bulk deposit is made. You may be able to cherry pick your week if you get a week that isn't optimal for you from your ongoing search.

DardenneLarry

TUG Member
Reaction score
dumbish question

I'm not a Palm Springs expert, having only been there once; but I wonder what is better about the Marriotts at Desert Spring Villas compared to Shadow Ridge (which we stayed at)? We found it to be pretty nice there. Maybe the answer is: Shadow Ridge is fine, but the other is just better?

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have children, Shadow Ridge or Villas II would be my choices. Adults only, Villas I or Enclaves.