• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions on buying destination points

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope this has not been repeated, but need some truthful answers . We are at the executive level now from legacy ownership . If we bought 1500 or 2000 directly from the marriott, it would be around 20000? Range. Would the trust points simply go onto our pool of legacy points and become one pot tp withdraw points from? Or would the new boughten trust points somwhow give us "magical" power, or is a point a point .
Second, if we bought resale points on red week or other would they be labeled differently, or just go into our pot of points and would we get the extra, though very few, different benefits of moving from Exec tp Ptres level?

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning

No magical powers or "supermorphing" If you purchased 2000 pts, your 2000 pts would function as Trust, the rest as Legacy... If the sales people tell you otherwise, have them put it in writing in the contract!!!

They tried this on me at a sales pitch. Told them that if they put the "supermorph" clause in writing I would write a check ofr $20K on the spot. Since, I didn't purchase, you know how that went...

Really no need to purchase...there is a glut of points for rent on VPE...

www.vacationpointexchange.com

check it out... prices are dropping as Huge owners from Grand residence quarterlies flood market with 50K points..

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
If one wanted to purchase resale points, would inventory be found on red week or are there other better places? Also if you purchased resale points, would they be added to your current enrolled points. Or is this something that' s not even done.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There would be two pots within your accout but withdraws could be made from both to make a single reservation. Use years may be different depending on when the original points were bought. Buying resale points may save you about 25% but you are still looking at a $15,000 ballpark figure when all of the fees are included. Is the cost worth the added benefits vs renting what you need each year?

Bill4728

Reaction score
First for all practical purposes points are points so buying trust points will not get you anything your trust points can't get you (not totally true but close enough)

If you bought trust points resale you'll pay about $5/pt and pay an additional fee of > $2/pt to Marriott for the privilege of buying MVC pts for a total of about $7/pt

Once Marriott acknowledges your purchase you'll have two pools of pts but they should be seemless in being able to use them.

BUT Why if you already have the "executive level" from your legacy ownership WHY BUY MORE?? You can rent pts from current owners for just a few more dollars than the MFs you'd pay if they were your pts and you would not have to buy them.

Good Luck

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
There would be two pots within your accout but withdraws could be made from both to make a single reservation. Use years may be different depending on when the original points were bought. Buying resale points may save you about 25% but you are still looking at a $15,000 ballpark figure when all of the fees are included. Is the cost worth the added benefits vs renting what you need each year?

There would be 2 pots, but to the naked eye (as in when you log into your MVCI account) there is no distinction of which points are trust and which points are legacy. All you will see are the amounts of points you own and the use year (annual time period) within which you have to use, bank, or borrow them.

Our resale points look, smell, feel, and taste the same as our points we purchased directly from Marriott, and just the same as the points we receive if we convert our enrolled week to DC points.

We are Executive, same as you. We see no benefit to buying any more points. As others have noted, there are plenty to rent. :cool:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
There would be 2 pots, but to the naked eye (as in when you log into your MVCI account) there is no distinction of which points are trust and which points are legacy. All you will see are the amounts of points you own and the use year (annual time period) within which you have to use, bank, or borrow them.

If you click on the detailed summary link below your points, you will be able to see the "point type" which indicates which are Trust points, which are Election points, and if you transfer points in...even which are Transferred Trust and/or Transferred Election points. That said, as others have pointed out, the use of those different types of points, in nearly all circumstances, will be the same.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
If you click on the detailed summary link below your points, you will be able to see the "point type" which indicates which are Trust points, which are Election points, and if you transfer points in...even which are Transferred Trust and/or Transferred Election points. That said, as others have pointed out, the use of those different types of points, in nearly all circumstances, will be the same.

No disagreement regarding the display of elected points versus trust points. My comment was geared to developer purchased points versus DC points purchased resale. My account does not differentiate between developer purchased trust points and resale trust points (we have both). I only see trust or elected.

bluesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow-up question, please... we are in a similar circumstance to NanceeTom, since we've ended up at the Presidential level as a result of our Legacy Ownership. We haven't purchased any trust points to date, but have been advised by MVC that we'd need to own a base share of trust points (e.g. 1000 pts if purchased from MVC) in order to gain access to a larger trust "pool" of points that make it easier to secure reservations at high demand resorts/dates (e.g. Ocean Pointe in mid-March, Grande Ocean in the summer) and gain access to new MVC properties in Miami, Maui, etc. Are either of these MVC assertions factual?

We're also interested in getting clarification to Fasttr's response that point use is the same in "nearly all circumstances"... what are the circumstances when point use isn't the same between purchased trust points and points converted from legacy ownership?

What, if any, additional benefits would we see from purchasing a minimum base share of trust points?

Thank you in advance for your replies! We appreciate your time and consideration in helping us out!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

You do not need TRUST points to access anything!!!!

My poor Lonely Legacy points gets me Park City every February... Ritz Carlton San Fran is open!!! I have Boston in fall.. I have had HHI in summer...

just a sales pitch... Have them put it in writing....They won't do it!!!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Follow-up question, please... we are in a similar circumstance to NanceeTom, since we've ended up at the Presidential level as a result of our Legacy Ownership. We haven't purchased any trust points to date, but have been advised by MVC that we'd need to own a base share of trust points (e.g. 1000 pts if purchased from MVC) in order to gain access to a larger trust "pool" of points that make it easier to secure reservations at high demand resorts/dates (e.g. Ocean Pointe in mid-March, Grande Ocean in the summer) and gain access to new MVC properties in Miami, Maui, etc. Are either of these MVC assertions factual?

We're also interested in getting clarification to Fasttr's response that point use is the same in "nearly all circumstances"... what are the circumstances when point use isn't the same between purchased trust points and points converted from legacy ownership?

What, if any, additional benefits would we see from purchasing a minimum base share of trust points?

Thank you in advance for your replies! We appreciate your time and consideration in helping us out!

Puck is 100% correct that buying a small package of Trust points will not give your total points package magical powers. The "nearly all circumstances" comment relates to very rare occasions (it has happened to me only once in 4 years and has happened to other TUGgers as well, but again, very infrequently), a ressie in the 13 month advance reservation window will only be able to be snagged by pure Trust points. That said, in your situation, say you purchased 1000 Trust points to go with your existing Legacy points, and say that rare ressie in the 13 month window needed 4000 points to book it, you still would not have the 4000 Trust points required, so again, it would not allow you to book it. Again, even at the 13 month mark, the vast majority of ressies can be gotten with Legacy points. And if you check online and it says no availability, if you call a VOA and they really do have availability but it happens to be a rare one, they can at times move something from the Trust to the Exchange so that you CAN book it with Legacy points. We have found that once you hit the 12 month reservation window, pretty much all ressies are being conducted in the Exchange Company and at that point, you can use Trust or Legacy points to snag them.

Also, just a word of caution on your Base Interest comment. A base interest for a Legacy owner is 500 points. A Base Interest for a non Legacy owner is 1500 points. That said, if you do end up purchasing points, it might be safest to buy 1500 so that it is easier to sell them, or deed them to a child, etc. down the road. Without your Legacy week in the mix (say you wanted to sell the week), the Trust points of 1000 on their own would not give you a base interest any longer and might be restricted.

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning....

They are making difficult to resell DC points...

They charge $2/point as "junk fees" to allow these sold points to be used!!!
What s to stop them form making this fee $3 or $4...?????

Bill4728

Reaction score
good morning....

They are making difficult to resell DC points...

They charge $2/point as "junk fees" to allow these sold points to be used!!!
What s to stop them form making this fee $3 or $4...?????
Until a short time ago the fee was <$1/pt now it is >$2 so it is clear that Marriott can and will increase the "junk fees" if they feel like it.
There is nothing stopping them.

bluesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your feedback!

So, just to confirm, one doesn't need to own any TRUST points to access destinations/activities in the "Explorer Collection?" And you've been able to make the referenced reservations without owning any trust points, Puckman?

Has anyone else received the same sales pitch about the importance of adding trust points to a legacy only portfolio? Has anyone purchased trust points in a similar situation?

Good luck to your team tonight, Puckman! ... we went to a Bolts game over Spring Break and my son instantly became a part-time TB fan, especially since the Blues are out again in the 1st round. Should be a great game!!

Thanks again!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Thank you very much for your feedback!

So, just to confirm, one doesn't need to own any TRUST points to access destinations/activities in the "Explorer Collection?" And you've been able to make the referenced reservations without owning any trust points, Puckman?

Has anyone else received the same sales pitch about the importance of adding trust points to a legacy only portfolio? Has anyone purchased trust points in a similar situation?

Good luck to your team tonight, Puckman! ... we went to a Bolts game over Spring Break and my son instantly became a part-time TB fan, especially since the Blues are out again in the 1st round. Should be a great game!!

Thanks again!

Correct....no need to have Trust points for Explorer Collection. In fact, ALL Explorer Collection transactions are done in the Exchange, where any points will do.

As to your "has anybody else heard your same pitch" question....its basically the go to pitch to all Legacy owners. Its a scare tactic with no meat on the bone.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. You'd think we'd know by now! We refused the call to go on a presentation, but when we arrived they asked again and kept saying, it's to receive all the new information or changes recurring....
That's not what happened and it seems the new approach is a 2 person a method. One begins then another person comes who supposedly has more knowedledge and the push that you MUST have TRUST points or you'll be left out of the boat begins.... and comments such as "you will buy points, if not now later, you'll have no choice".
Tug comments put things back into perspective!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening

Blues Fan..

Every single reservation

Summer Kauai Lagoons
Summer Koolina
Summer HHI
Winter Park City
Anytime Lakeshore
Fall Boston

all with sad, lonely Legacy points!!!
glad to see another hockey fan here...

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told last week that If I do now own Trust points I will not be able to access the new locations, ie, San Diego, Big Island, Australia..
However I am not sure that its true. For now, I am waiting to see one of the new resorts being available online. And then we will see.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told last week that If I do now own Trust points I will not be able to access the new locations, ie, San Diego, Big Island, Australia..
However I am not sure that its true. For now, I am waiting to see one of the new resorts being available online. And then we will see.
As you say, we will see.
I suspect there may well be limited if any inventory available through Interval.
I doubt though, in fact I would be very surprised and concerned, if Enrolled weeks points did not give access to inventory at new resorts.
This sounds again like a desperate ploy to sell Trust points.