• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[It's official] New Steamboat Springs timeshares to join Sheraton Flex?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Heard at our Owners Update today that additional resorts will be added to the Sheraton Flex program, to include the new units at Sheraton Steamboat Springs. All of the usual caveats -- "How can you tell if a timeshare salesperson is lying?" -- apply. But if the goal is to marginalize the older style of ownership in favor of the new points program, this seems to make a great deal of sense. It also allows them to sell far more ownerships promising access to Steamboat but backed by less desirable Orlando deeds.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
From what I see in Steamboat at the Sheraton in ski season, I doubt there will be much opportunity. It's always pretty full. ;)

It is one of the best locations and they finally finished revamping the pool.

Cheers

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
From what I see in Steamboat at the Sheraton in ski season, I doubt there will be much opportunity. It's always pretty full. ;)

It is one of the best locations and they finally finished revamping the pool.

Keep in mind that Sheraton Steamboat is being transferred to SVO as part of the spin-off, and that they have already said in the press release that there will be additional anticipated inventory at there. I think the hotel side of that property is going bye-bye, similar to Westin St. John.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Keep in mind that Sheraton Steamboat is being transferred to SVO as part of the spin-off, and that they have already said in the press release that there will be additional anticipated inventory at there. I think the hotel side of that property is going bye-bye, similar to Westin St. John.

I think the operative words are "press release" and "anticipated";). There's no real place to expand at the base area so unless they convert some hotel rooms or buy out some condo units or build away from the base, I don't see where it's coming from. I maybe wrong but I wouldn't get my hopes up.:D

Cheers

DTD1990

Reaction score
At my owner's update over Spring break at the Westin Riverfront, the SVO sales folks weren't even aligned on this. One guy stated that future Steamboat development would likely go to the trust, while the Explorer Package closer guy stated that he doubted future Steamboat inventory would go to the trust.

There was a consensus though that the entire hotel would be converted to timeshares which would be great for SVO owners who like to ski -- more inventory to trade to hopefully.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having visited Steamboat in the last week (admittedly not a skier), I could care less if they add it or not. Compared to the areas along I-70, it is difficult to get to from Denver, and we much prefer Vail, Beaver Creek, Avon, Ewards to Steamboat. Also, Steamboat is quite isolated. Of course, skiers may see it differently...

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having visited Steamboat in the last week (admittedly not a skier), I could care less if they add it or not. Compared to the areas along I-70, it is difficult to get to from Denver, and we much prefer Vail, Beaver Creek, Avon, Ewards to Steamboat. Also, Steamboat is quite isolated. Of course, skiers may see it differently...

We do. It keeps the weekend Denver hoards away. :clap:

BTW, It's 3 hours to Denver vs 2 hours to Denver from Vail.

Cheers

DTD1990

Reaction score
The advantage of Sheraton Steamboat for skiers over the other Starwood properties is the ski-in ski-out location. We have stayed at the Westin (Avon) and at Lakeside Terrace for ski trips and those locations do not compare to the Sheraton at Steamboat, due to the proximity to the slopes.

The question I have is if the Sheraton Steamboat new development is put into the trust and I chose to buy-in for a platinum plus ski week, how does being in a trust affect my ability to secure a spring break ski week at 12 months out. I am very interested in Steamboat even if it means developer prices, but if there is little chance I can book my preferred week to ski in March, the what is the point in buying. With my current SVO weeks I can always trade into Lakeside Terrace or the Sheraton in Avon with no issues.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
The question I have is if the Sheraton Steamboat new development is put into the trust and I chose to buy-in for a platinum plus ski week, how does being in a trust affect my ability to secure a spring break ski week at 12 months out. I am very interested in Steamboat even if it means developer prices, but if there is little chance I can book my preferred week to ski in March, the what is the point in buying. With my current SVO weeks I can always trade into Lakeside Terrace or the Sheraton in Avon with no issues.

IF the new Steamboat units are put into the Sheraton Flex trust, then you'll likely have to buy enough Home Options for the unit and season you want, but they won't be tied specifically to Steamboat. Rather, Steamboat will be one of your home resorts, along with SVO, SVR, SBC, SBP, and SDO. Your chances of being able to book a spring break ski week in Steamboat will correlate directly to (1) how quickly you reserve at the 12 month window, (2) how many other Sheraton Flex owners want the same days, and (3) how many of those owners have enough Home Options to reserve. The advantage to owning in the trust (again, IF it is added to the existing trust) is that you're only competing with the other trust owners instead of the entire SVN. Also, Home Options can't be banked so you won't be facing nearly the same challenge as with an SVN reservation.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We do. It keeps the weekend Denver hoards away. :clap:

BTW, It's 3 hours to Denver vs 2 hours to Denver from Vail.

Cheers

Last time I skied Steamboat (~15 years) I flew into HDN, which is about 25 miles away. Not sure how many flights still go there, and given connection timing it may be faster to simply drive from Denver, but it was convenient (and also a rather "fun" flight...err...though not for all!).

Sent from my iPad

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last time I skied Steamboat (~15 years) I flew into HDN, which is about 25 miles away. Not sure how many flights still go there, and given connection timing it may be faster to simply drive from Denver, but it was convenient (and also a rather "fun" flight...err...though not for all!).

Sent from my iPad

They have big jets (757, 737, A-320) fly into Hayden from various cities like Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta with United, American and Delta. That's in addition to Barbie jets from LA, Salt Lake and others.

Not an all inclusive list and there's several flights to/from Denver daily on United Commuter Q400's which happens to be one of the lousiest routes for on-time performance in the known universe. :rolleyes:

One reason I live there in the winter is great airline service out of Hayden that I use to get to consulting jobs when I'm not skiing. No need to connect in Denver.:D

My comment about the access from Denver was directed to the comment that Steamboat is more difficult to get to than Vail, Beavercreek, etc. Both locations you go thru the Eisehower Tunnel, a nightmare on weekends and each has a pass to get over, Vail pass for Vail and Rabbit Ears for Steamboat. That said, the Front Range mobs usually stop at the Summit County areas.

Cheers

Last edited:

DTD1990

Reaction score
That's the big mystery though, in the single sale resorts your chance of securing your sized unit during your season at 12 months is very high because you are only competing with those folks who own the same size unit and in the same season - a limited number of folks. In the trust it is more murky on how this will play out because you potentially have more folks able to book at 12 months. The fact that you cannot roll over trust points is a limiting factor on the competition though -- I didn't know that.

My worst case scenario would be to buy into the trust to get into Steamboat annually during ski season and never be able to get the Spring break week I want.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dropping in Sheraton Steamboat VOIs to be commingled with other Sheraton resorts (SDO, SVV, SVR, etc) is like putting a Porsche up for sale in a Ford dealer's lot. Everyone wants to try it out and test drive it but don't have the money to pony up and own it.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Larger jets fly into Eagle, about 25-30 minutes from the Beaver Creek, Vail area.. We drove to Steamboat and perhaps we missed something, but compared to the area along I-70, and Breckenridge, we were not impressed. Also, not impressed with the drive there (maybe we went the less desirable way). I know a lot of people love Steamboat. From a non-skier perspective, who has no desire to be here during ski season, the area along I-70 is centrally located so that scenic drives to Leadville, Aspen, Breckenridge, Glenwood Springs (including Glenwood Canyon) are easily doable. I'm not arguing the ski aspect, since you know better than me on that for sure.

They have big jets (757, 737, A-320) fly into Hayden from various cities like Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta with United, American and Delta. That's in addition to Barbie jets from LA, Salt Lake and others.

Not an all inclusive list and there's several flights to/from Denver daily on United Commuter Q400's which happens to be one of the lousiest routes for on-time performance in the known universe. :rolleyes:

One reason I live there in the winter is great airline service out of Hayden that I use to get to consulting jobs when I'm not skiing. No need to connect in Denver.:D

My comment about the access from Denver was directed to the comment that Steamboat is more difficult to get to than Vail, Beavercreek, etc. Both locations you go thru the Eisehower Tunnel, a nightmare on weekends and each has a pass to get over, Vail pass for Vail and Rabbit Ears for Steamboat. That said, the Front Range mobs usually stop at the Summit County areas.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Larger jets fly into Eagle, about 25-30 minutes from the Beaver Creek, Vail area.. We drove to Steamboat and perhaps we missed something, but compared to the area along I-70, and Breckenridge, we were not impressed. Also, not impressed with the drive there (maybe we went the less desirable way). I know a lot of people love Steamboat. From a non-skier perspective, who has no desire to be here during ski season, the area along I-70 is centrally located so that scenic drives to Leadville, Aspen, Breckenridge, Glenwood Springs (including Glenwood Canyon) are easily doable. I'm not arguing the ski aspect, since you know better than me on that for sure.

Skiing is the prime reason to go to Steamboat, IMO.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Skiing is the prime reason to go to Steamboat, IMO.

Agree, at least for me.

There's a saying by the locals, "You come for the winter and stay for the summer" to which I would add, "and leave during mud season":D.

If you like golf, hiking, biking, fishing and camping, with an occasional concert, festival and rodeo, the summer is great. If you don't........

Cheers

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been in the area for the last 2 weeks during 'mud season' and loved it. No crowds, the aspens are leafing out with a light green color, dinner specials, low rental car rates. The only problem is we don't want to leave tomorrow..

Agree, at least for me.

There's a saying by the locals, "You come for the winter and stay for the summer" to which I would add, "and leave during mud season":D.

If you like golf, hiking, biking, fishing and camping, with an occasional concert, festival and rodeo, the summer is great. If you don't........

Cheers

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Sheraton Flex to expand

I just received information today indicating that the Sheraton Flex program will soon add "a ski resort in Colorado." No specifics on whether this will be Mountain Vista or Steamboat Springs, but I suspect it's the latter. Time will tell...

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah but will it add any Ski week's or just mud and summer weeks at a Ski resort in Colorado?

Steamboat is 2 and 3 bed only and only a few units.

SMV is a morr traditional timeshare layout so I imagine it would be those units. Morr of them also.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Ah but will it add any Ski week's or just mud and summer weeks at a Ski resort in Colorado?

Steamboat is 2 and 3 bed only and only a few units.

SMV is a morr traditional timeshare layout so I imagine it would be those units. Morr of them also.

Yes, but Steamboat is being transferred to the SVO spinoff company and more timeshare inventory is slated to be developed there.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but Steamboat is being transferred to the SVO spinoff company and more timeshare inventory is slated to be developed there.
But why put that in there when you can sell primo Ski week's at primo prices.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
But why put that in there when you can sell primo Ski week's at primo prices.

Because why sell ski weeks only to buyers of ski weeks when you can sell ski weeks to buyers of mud weeks as well? Put another way, would you rather sell 16 weeks for $90k apiece or 52 weeks for $60k apiece?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It has to expand if they plan on keeping it as a product. This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sent from my iPad

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Starwood Steamboat Hotel several times and in 2008 It was beginning to be converted to timeshares and it makes sense to add to flex. I looked at buying property in Steamboat where I skied because we saw how undervalued it was in 1990's. It has since skyrocketed in price and locals priced out of town.

Ski resorts are a destination resort at a renowned Ski hill and sell out quickly in prime ski season but have to sell hotel out in 2/3 of the rest of the season which is hard to sell i.e. whoever thinks of going to Aspen in the summer?

At my owner update in Cancun - where they didn't try to sell and actually updated - the representative said he felt Steamboat would be added but was unsure. He stated Flex hotels had a certain legal structure that lended itself to the Flex program which he represented was set up to sell points (if I understood correctly) The Flex program is designed to sell points to use for partial weeks.

Points system can easily be devalued in a downturn economy by distressed companies to meet lenders needs. The value of points system is it rewards loyal customers.

Scott

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Bumping this thread to continue the speculation I started back in May on Steamboat Springs joining Sheraton Flex. I think this will likely coincide with an announcement that the hotel will begin undergoing conversion to timeshare. I also think it will follow the WSJ and WNOV precedent of including a StarOptions bump for current owners, such that a 3-bedroom will now hit the new threshold of 257,700 StarOptions.