• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC additional fees

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering (finally) purchasing a DVC contract. I'm a current Wyndham owner, so I am used to be charged every time I sneeze or use the washroom. I am just wondering if DVC has many additional fees (housekeeping, transactions, guest certificates, etc.). From the research I've done so far, the only thing I've seen is a $95 fee to use the Disney Collection resorts, but since I'll be buying resale, I won't be eligible to use those anyway. Is there anything I'm missing or do MFs cover pretty much everything with DVC?

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Famy,

There are no other hidden or surprise fees like several other programs. The only fees I know of us the $95.00 fee for booking a cruise, or specific other hotel based programs that are only available for a direct purchase anyway.

Enjoy your membership!

Darius

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
No fees like that but you get charged extra beyond your 1 mid week cleaning and for Hawaii you have a Transient Occupancy tax (but Wyndham, Hilton and Marriott all charge that).

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Disney is the best regarding fees. They donot charge a club fee, transaction fee, banking fee, etc. like almost all other timeshare operators. You can say that all these fees are already built into their maintenance fee structure. DVC is one of the most expensive timeshare units to purchase and with yearly maintenance fees.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
It's the state of Hawaii that charges the Transient Occupancy fee, not the timeshares.

And my MF's at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club are easily as high as my nearly 500 points w/DVC.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
All timeshares on maui have high maintenance fee because of the property tax rate on timeshares in maui county. Compare to a 500 point vero beach contract with maintenance fee over $4000. Aulani maintenence fee for 500 points would be over $3250. More than 500 points will be needed to book aulani 2br in half of the seasons. What is the maintenace on you marriott 2br units?

Last edited:

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Hi Frank, my MF's at MMOC/Napili Oceanfront are $2276/year.

Because I own 160 points at Vero, my nearly 500 total points are costing me right at $3000/yr now. The rest of my points are at OKW. Still love that place! :)

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh, and those annual fees for Maui? They are paid annually on an EOY TS. :rolleyes:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow $4500 for a 2br in maui every year for marriott? That is nore than what is being charged at westin Kaanapali by far! I did not think marriott in maui was that much for a 2br every other year with a legacy week.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank, I did not make clear that we own TWO weeks in a 2 bdrm Oceanfront villa EOY. It does even out to the equivalent of a week a year, but we can spend 4 weeks EOY if we lock off. We usually do 1 week in our 2 bdrm as we usually have one or more of our kids with us, then we will lock off for weeks 2 and 3. Does that make more sense?

elleny76

Reaction score
I'm considering (finally) purchasing a DVC contract. I'm a current Wyndham owner, so I am used to be charged every time I sneeze or use the washroom. I am just wondering if DVC has many additional fees (housekeeping, transactions, guest certificates, etc.). From the research I've done so far, the only thing I've seen is a $95 fee to use the Disney Collection resorts, but since I'll be buying resale, I won't be eligible to use those anyway. Is there anything I'm missing or do MFs cover pretty much everything with DVC?[/QUOTE

We bought this year a DVC @ SSR.. We love SSR and no so far no hidden fees or paying for maintenance or none of that non sense. Free transportation from airport included...I love my SSR_DVC!:banana::banana::banana:

(we also own Wyndham):)

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought this year a DVC @ SSR.. We love SSR and no so far no hidden fees or paying for maintenance or none of that non sense.
There are no hidden fees with Wyndham -- just a different way of charging fees. But all of the fees are very clearly spelled out in the owners guide and online -- nothing is hidden.

With DVC and some other timeshares, all of the expenses of both your home resort and the overall system are combined into one all-encompassing annual charge...which DVC laughingly calls "Annual Dues" because it's a Club, after all! :hysterical: That includes taxes, maintenance, housekeeping, MS, reserves, cost of the "free" bus transportation, etc, etc. If your home resort is co-located with a regular Disney resort, your "dues" also include a pro-rated portion of the cost of the hotel's front desk operation, public areas of the hotel, guest services like concierge and bell services, etc.

With Wyndham and some others, fees are charged based on what you use. In one sense, that's a better way of apportioning costs -- those who use certain services pay for them. So you have a certain number of reservation transactions, for example, included in your base fees. If you use more than those, you get charged. And there are other charges. To be perfectly honest, in five years of ownership of Wyndham, we have never paid a penny in extra charges.
Free transportation from airport included...I love my SSR_DVC!:banana::banana::banana:
Nope. Free airport transportation has NOTHING to do with DVC. It is NOT a perk of DVC.

Disney's Magical Express is a free kidnapping service (designed to make you a captive guest so you cannot leave the property, and will therefore spend all your vacation money with the Mouse). It is provided to every guest of any onsite Disney resort.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank, I did not make clear that we own TWO weeks in a 2 bdrm Oceanfront villa EOY. It does even out to the equivalent of a week a year, but we can spend 4 weeks EOY if we lock off. We usually do 1 week in our 2 bdrm as we usually have one or more of our kids with us, then we will lock off for weeks 2 and 3. Does that make more sense?
Okak got it. So it is still $2276 a year mf for 2br oceanfront. Still less than comparable 2br ocean view at aulani. That makes more sense than the $4500 annual mf that i thought.

Last edited:

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's the state of Hawaii that charges the Transient Occupancy fee, not the timeshares.

And my MF's at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club are easily as high as my nearly 500 points w/DVC.
Except that dvc grand California includes the TOT in the maintenance fee which they shouldn't if they don't include it for aulani.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
$95 exchange fee for RCI wether you buy resale or direct).

No other hidden fees (besides your MF fees of course).

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we finally have a contract for DVC points. We've been discussing this for years and decided it was time. Now, we're just hoping to make it through ROFR.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Well, we finally have a contract for DVC points. We've been discussing this for years and decided it was time. Now, we're just hoping to make it through ROFR.

Congrats and welcome to the DVC family.:)
Hope the ROFR goes smoothly.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

good luck with ROFR!!

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey Famy27, be sure to come back here and let us know what happened with your ROFR! I'm waiting on Marriott's ROFR for a resale week myself right now. Waiting's hard, huh? ;)

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, in five years of ownership of Wyndham, we have never paid a penny in extra charges. Nope.

While I agree that there are no HIDDEN charges, there are extra charges. I am on my 3rd(?) year of Wyndham ownership and I am finding that I am hitting against my reservation transaction limits so I am always now holding back on my bookings. Also, unless you don't pool your points in the credit pool, there's still that $39 charge.

So far, I haven't paid anything "extra" except for the credit pool fee. But I had extra RTs my first year. I am finding though that if one does take advantage of the ARP, and if that changes, at all -- one will hit the RT limit.

I have about 549K points. I have 7 RTs, and I only have 1 RT left back in March. Yes, my fault because I've had to move our 4th of July dates and Thanksgiving dates multiple times. But it does happen :(

So far, I haven't had to pay extra for HK but again, to be transparent - if one does a lot of short trips, there is a risk of going over your limit and have to pay extra.

So in summary: Credit Pool fee, and RT and HK fees in cases where you keep on changing your plans or do a lot of short stays.

There are no additional fees for similar transactions with DVC. The $95 exchange fee is an BV/RCI fee really and not a DVC fee. So, if you stay within the DVC resorts, no fees aside from MF.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
While I agree that there are no HIDDEN charges, there are extra charges. I am on my 3rd(?) year of Wyndham ownership and I am finding that I am hitting against my reservation transaction limits so I am always now holding back on my bookings. Also, unless you don't pool your points in the credit pool, there's still that $39 charge.

So far, I haven't paid anything "extra" except for the credit pool fee. But I had extra RTs my first year. I am finding though that if one does take advantage of the ARP, and if that changes, at all -- one will hit the RT limit.

I have about 549K points. I have 7 RTs, and I only have 1 RT left back in March. Yes, my fault because I've had to move our 4th of July dates and Thanksgiving dates multiple times. But it does happen :(

So far, I haven't had to pay extra for HK but again, to be transparent - if one does a lot of short trips, there is a risk of going over your limit and have to pay extra.

So in summary: Credit Pool fee, and RT and HK fees in cases where you keep on changing your plans or do a lot of short stays.

There are no additional fees for similar transactions with DVC. The $95 exchange fee is an BV/RCI fee really and not a DVC fee. So, if you stay within the DVC resorts, no fees aside from MF.

If you can plan ahead, you get all the reservations you can eat in one day for one RT.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can plan ahead, you get all the reservations you can eat in one day for one RT.

I can plan ahead... but 13 months of ARP goes in buckets.... there's no way to ARP in one RT @ 13 months: Spring Break, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That's 4 RTs right there. Basically, I've learned NOT to ARP unless it's Glacier Canyon or Christmas. I found that Thanksgiving is an easy holiday to book so I will stop ARPing that.
Add in the long holidays (MLK, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, Memorial Day weekend) and that's basically ALL my RTs assuming I don't make ANY changes at all.

Last edited:

carlbarry

Reaction score
I own Wyndham and DVC.
I recently booked a stay at Disney World for a friend, through DVC. There is no cost for a "guest" staying.
After I booked it, she asked me to change the dates. I did. No cost.
Then she asked me to change the location to a split stay. I did. No cost.
Then she asked me to change one of the stays from a 1 bedroom to a studio, and thus fewer points. Problem: the points were borrowed, so they would be returned to my soon expiring use year. I called DVC. They made the change. No charge. AND they put the points back into the original year, as if I had never borrowed them. Try that with Wyndham.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Wyndham and DVC.
I recently booked a stay at Disney World for a friend, through DVC. There is no cost for a "guest" staying.
After I booked it, she asked me to change the dates. I did. No cost.
Then she asked me to change the location to a split stay. I did. No cost.
Then she asked me to change one of the stays from a 1 bedroom to a studio, and thus fewer points. Problem: the points were borrowed, so they would be returned to my soon expiring use year. I called DVC. They made the change. No charge. AND they put the points back into the original year, as if I had never borrowed them. Try that with Wyndham.

Pretty demanding friend you have :hysterical:

carlbarry

Reaction score
Pretty demanding friend you have :hysterical:

Well, I didn't mention, as not being relevant to my post, that AFTER I changed half her stay to a studio AND DVC was nice enough to return my points, she then asked me to change the other half of the stay to a studio!