• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So we are not allowed to rent out the week we own?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sensible logical interpretation of home resort rental is anything in the season and villa type you own. Whether or not it is booked at 18 months or 3 days.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sensible logical interpretation of home resort rental is anything in the season and villa type you own. Whether or not it is booked at 18 months or 3 days.

That sounds sensible, but at resorts with view designations, that might not work, depending on what "type" means. For example, Westin Princeville VOI's have no view designation, so owners could reserve a month out and get the season (1-50 or 51-52) and type (size) they own. If "type" is classified as size AND view, Westin Ka'anapali owners would be forbidden from renting anything reserved under 8 months at their home resort. :shrug:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds sensible, but at resorts with view designations, that might not work, depending on what "type" means. For example, Westin Princeville VOI's have no view designation, so owners could reserve a month out and get the season (1-50 or 51-52) and type (size) they own. If "type" is classified as size AND view, Westin Ka'anapali owners would be forbidden from renting anything reserved under 8 months at their home resort. :shrug:
But that is only TUG speculation.

The statement is designed to catch those owning in Florida and renting HI or Barbados and arbitraging MF.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
The statement is designed to catch those owning in Florida and renting HI or Barbados and arbitraging MF.

While that may be the intent, that is not what it says as there is no mention of "source" and "destination" of the SO's used to make the less than 8mos bookings, other than under some ambiguous circumstance where it may allowed when "source" and "destination" are the same...

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, the statement is very clear. It says that Staroptions reservations are prohibited, but then provides one exception - if the Staroptions reservations are at your Home Resort (this is not the same as Home Resort Period 8-12 months out) and in the season and Villa Type (1 BR, 2BR, Lock-off, etc.) that you own.

I think it is trying to be as clear as it can that you can rent out what you own even if it is technically a StarOption reservation. It prohibits all StarOption reservations at resorts and seasons you don't own. I see how you can quibble about villa type including the view, but I don't think that is the intent of the statement. It refers to StarOption reservations, which by definition don't include a view.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went to MyStarCentral to change the name on my reservation and besides asking if I would be present on my reserved week and if the person's was arriving before me it stated this:

"I acknowledge that the reservation is for personal use and not for rental or commercial purposes. In accordance with the Starwood Vacation Network Membership terms and conditions, rental of SVN reservations is prohibited. Violations of the SVEC Rules and Regulations may result in the suspension of an owner's right to reserve within SVN until compliant."

When did this happen?
Are my renters going to be asked if they rented this from me?
Has anyone had a problem with this?
Going back to post 1 and the statement. If you use SO to book from one network resort to another that is an SVN reservation. Anything else is home resort.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly - we met a couple last year at WKORV that were bragging how they owned multiple weeks at SVV (like 12), and used them to reserve WKORV/N and then rent them out.

This topic came up on this forum a while ago, because it was openly suggested that people use their SOs to reserve WKORV/N and then rent them. However, when this approach was brought up in regards to II exchanges they were immediately told that this was not allowed. Guess what? It is also not allowed for SVN exchanges, but for some reason (aka $$$) continues to be recommended.

Not David, but I would guess they chose to not do the needed programming to differentiate between the different types of reservations. It was just easier to put the statement in for all reservation types.

The only gray area in my mind is if you rent out your home resort with a reservation made less than 8 mos. out. Technically, it is an SVN reservation, but there was some language that indicated that it was allowable.

Glorian
Except it is not when you are not a member of SVN. It is just a currency used to represent the booking then.

RnU

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me about letting a family member or friend use your week if it is booked somewhere besides the home resort? Do I have the legal right to trade from FL to HI and just let my kids use the week without being present myself?

I'm just curious about the legality and how SVN would be able to distinguish between renters and lucky family/friends.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You absolutely are permitted to gift a timeshare reservation to anyone that you choose.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some additional information on this subject. Today I noticed MyStarCentral allows me to change the name on a reservation I already have. I only have reservations at my home resorts, so I don't know if there would be different verbiage for other reservations.

When I click on Change Guest Name, a form comes up. At the bottom there's a statement you have to agree to:

I acknowledge that the reservation is for personal use and not for rental or commercial purposes. In accordance with the Starwood Vacation Network Membership terms and conditions, rental of SVN reservations is prohibited. Violations of the SVEC Rules and Regulations may result in the suspension of an owner's right to reserve within SVN until compliant.

Agree to Terms and Conditions:*

Clicking on the link for SVEC Rules and Regulations, it says:

8.1 Personal Use; Commercial Purposes. Use of the Units and facilities associated with SVN is limited solely to the personal use of SVN Members, their guests, invitees, exchangers, and for recreational use by corporations or other similar business entities owning VOIs. Purchase of a VOI or use of Units and facilities associated with SVN for commercial purposes, for contribution to or use in a different vacation ownership plan or vacation club (except as expressly permitted in the SVN Documents), or for any purpose other than the personal use described above is prohibited.

8.2 SVN Member Rentals. An SVN Member may reserve a Vacation Period at the SVN Member's Home Resort and rent it on the SVN Member's own account. All renters must comply with the rules and regulations of the Resort Documents affecting occupancy, and the renting SVN Member will be responsible for the acts or omissions of the SVN Member's renters or any other person or persons permitted by the SVN Member to use the Unit. Rental by an SVN Member of Units reserved through SVN (other than a Vacation Period reserved at the SVN Member's Home Resort) is prohibited.

Now some will argue about seasons, views, unit sizes and such, but it is pretty clear you cannot rent out anything anywhere other than at your home resort. You are clearly allowed to use SVN to reserve something at your home resort and rent it out.

All those people buying Florida to get a unit in Maui to rent out are doing so at their own peril. Renters using units from non-owners are also risking their whole vacation being disrupted. Slowly, but surely, Starwood is tightening the noose.

Perhaps the stickies above the forum should also include a section on renting out your VOI.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I don't think they care one hoot about saving the weeks for the Starwood owners. Renters provide them with new prospects to sell to. It's also another reason to buy high-value weeks and it's a sales pitch I've gotten from both Starwood and Marriott. I'm not even sure they could legally do it. In most cases this is still private real estate ownership. I don't think they can put a deed restriction on the property after the fact anymore than a condo assn or developer can decide their owners can't rent after they already own the property.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVN is separate from your ownership. They can put whatever rules they want on exchanges through SVN. The rules above don't restrict anything you do with what you own, but they sure can decide to void your rental of an exchange through the Starwood Vacation Network.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I don't ever want to rent an exchange. I only want to rent what I own. I totally understand why the rule is in place that you can't rent weeks that were gotten with Star Options.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a question further up about whether a reservation at your home resort within 8 months of arrival was a StarOption reservation or not. I don't think it matters, if it is at your home resort.

You can rent out what you own. You cannot rent out anything at a property you don't own. I think this is pretty black and white now.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I don't think they can put a deed restriction on the property after the fact anymore than a condo assn or developer can decide their owners can't rent after they already own the property.

This is done all the time. There are many, many examples of homeowners and condo associations not permitting the rental of personally owned, deeded units.

Rental by an SVN Member of Units reserved through SVN (other than a Vacation Period reserved at the SVN Member's Home Resort) is prohibited.
I think this is still vague. If I own 10 Orlando units and 1 Maui unit, can I make multiple SVN reservations for Maui using my Orlando StarOptions?

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is done all the time. There are many, many examples of homeowners and condo associations not permitting the rental of personally owned, deeded units.

I think this is still vague. If I own 10 Orlando units and 1 Maui unit, can I make multiple SVN reservations for Maui using my Orlando StarOptions?

I would argue that rental restrictions are encoded in the CC&Rs from the development stage on.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Of course. Good luck.

Not to be harsh, but why wouldn't you be able to make 11 Maui reservations? You can only rent 1 of them if it's a week reserved at the SVN Owner's Home Resort in the Villa Type and season purchased.

My question is: Why isn't SVN enforcing the policy of no rentals (on 10 of those Maui reservations--or 11 if it's a trade-up) ?

jmho

I assume you'll be occupying all 11 of those ressies--or purchase guest certificates for the person you give the week to. Oh, and btw, I think the guest certificates now contain language about non-rental--or do they?

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think the intent is pretty clear. You can rent what you own. Anything else is just trying to find loopholes or contrived ways around the intent of the rule.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the intent is pretty clear. You can rent what you own. Anything else is just trying to find loopholes or contrived ways around the intent of the rule.

The soup thickens when there are salesmen sharing these contrivances in order to close a sale and make their commissions.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Usually it takes a majority vote to change a covenant. So no grandfather in that instance.
It could be why Wyndham is taking the approach they have initiated. Given that Wyndham does not in any way recognize resale,can they push through a similar policy that one can only rent what is bought from Wyndham.
If presented correctly I think most owners who bought through Wyndham would vote for it. Plus they have the votes with what they have in inventory

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think the intent that they're aiming for is that you can only rent out the Maui reservations that were made using the Maui ownership.

If a reservation was "paid" for with a different resort, you can't rent it out...

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Usually it takes a majority vote to change a covenant. So no grandfather in that instance.
It could be why Wyndham is taking the approach they have initiated. Given that Wyndham does not in any way recognize resale,can they push through a similar policy that one can only rent what is bought from Wyndham.
If presented correctly I think most owners who bought through Wyndham would vote for it. Plus they have the votes with what they have in inventory

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think that there's wording in the SVN agreement allowing SVO to make unilateral changes to the program, which they've obviously done before (SO valuation/redemption rate changes, Elite benefits changes, etc)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It seems every year or so there's a thread on what SVN may do unilaterally with the club. I find it interesting that there are always people who express surprise at this, and then try to find ways around the potential limitations.

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The CCR rules about thus is vague? Seems pretty clear - and it is in the terms one accepts when buying these SVO VOIs and were not added at later date (I have copies of Original CCRs at WKORV, WKORVN, and WPORV). Perhaps the problem is that the bias needs to be wiped off the glasses of those that seem to have an issue with comprehension (and compliance) of these rules?

IMO - they really need to add text to the reservation confirmation that addresses this issue. I suggested this to SVO/SVN back in 2012 in my communication with them about this topic. IMO - this would be a major deterrent to those renting villas obtained via SVN SOs that are not at the Owner's Home Resort.

Correct... SVO TS salespeople should not be contradicting this rule in order to make a sale - I wrote SVO/SVN about this topic when it came up recently. Never heard back - which doesn't surprise me because they could open themselves up to Legal issues by putting something in writing. I would not be surprised that this is being addressed internally - especially now that they are asking Owners that put an alternate name on the reservation to acknowledge the SVN rule prohibiting these types of rentals. IMO

Added: I do agree that the language used on MyStarCental is confusing when changing the Guest name.
I acknowledge that the reservation is for personal use and not for rental or commercial purposes. In accordance with the Starwood Vacation Network Membership terms and conditions, rental of SVN reservations is prohibited. Violations of the SVEC Rules and Regulations may result in the suspension of an owner's right to reserve within SVN until compliant.

This makes it sound that no rental is allowed - which is untrue according to CCRs. I am going to contact them about this text, as I have just rented one of my WKV Plat+ weeks.

Added-2: Instead of doing a name change on-line (because of this text) - I called Owner Services and did the name change over the phone. They did not query about the name change other than the usual questions (name, address, phone).

Last edited: