• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Only able to rent out Home Resort?

j59kim

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I called to change the name on a reservation that we sold a couple of days ago I was told by the rep that owners are only able to change the names at their home resort only. They stated that it was a policy that went into effect on 4/20 and that if you use star options to reserve at another resort you cannot change the names on those. I don't remember getting anything about this or hearing about it at any of the owner updates. Anyone have any additional info on this?

It doesn't affect us too much as we own OF at WKORVN and it wouldn't make sense for us to rent anywhere else to rent out and at the end of the day it may even be more beneficial to certain owners...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
UhOh - this is going to cause a firestorm. Can't say I didn't warn folks that this was against SVO/SVN rules, and that eventually SVO/SVN would enforce.

This has been discussed here (in past and recently) - according to SVO/SVN CCRs (Owner's Manual) - this is correct. However, people have been abusing (some for profit motives…), and now it is finally being enforced.

However, I see a problem with this and that is legitimately for people giving these SO reservations to Family and Friends.
Let the vitriol begin...

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Its documented on MyStarCentral, apparently compliance is now being enforced.

Owner Rental Program
The Owner Rental Program is not currently offered for any Starwood Vacation Ownership resorts. As an Owner, you may reserve a Vacation Period at your Home Resort through Owner Services and arrange a private third party rental on your ownership account. The rental of a reservation by a Starwood Vacation Network Owner for reservations confirmed using StarOptions (other than a week reserved at the SVN Owner's Home Resort in the Villa Type and season purchased) is prohibited.* All renters must comply with the rules and regulations of your Home Resort and as the Owner, you will be responsible for the acts or omissions of your renter and their guests.

Once you have rented your Home Resort Vacation Period, please notify Owner Services of the arriving guest name to ensure their access to your reservation at check-in.

Owners should be current in all fees, including maintenance fees and taxes, associated with your Ownership prior to the arrival date.

* Villa Type does not apply to Coral Vista Owners

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Clarification: The OP said you can't change the name on a Staroption reservation - that's incorrect, and if a Rep. told them that, they made an error. (Not uncommon.)

Reservations is still happy to change the name on a Staroption reservation for you, when you are transferring it to friends or family. If you are told otherwise, ask to speak to a supervisor.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The OP also said went into effect 4/20…
It will be interesting. Bottom-line: Issue has finally has shown up on SVO/SVN's radar.

I think SVO/SVN will eventually land on my suggestion to them - state the rules concerning this issue clearly on Reservation Confirmation. This will make a Renter much more cautious in paying a non-HomeResort Owner to rent SOs.

j59kim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification: The OP said you can't change the name on a Staroption reservation - that's incorrect, and if a Rep. told them that, they made an error. (Not uncommon.)

Reservations is still happy to change the name on a Staroption reservation for you, when you are transferring it to friends or family. If you are told otherwise, ask to speak to a supervisor.

When I spoke with the rep since I had sold our unit I didn't even bother to ask about if it was ok if it was just being gifted to someone.

It will be interesting to see if it'll be more difficult from now on to make changes if it's not your home resort but thanks for the info everyone!

The rep I spoke to said it went into affect 4/20 but it may be that they are required to ask if it's gifted or sold to a third party. If so, I guess the correct answer every time should be gifted ;)

What I find funny is that when we we went to a owner's update in Palm Desert the sales person was pitching their low MF and how you can rent in Maui and resell for a profit...and this was less only a couple of weeks ago. They're so full of it...

Last edited:

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
My last owner's update ... the salesman showed me his account where he booked Atlantis with his SMV options and was renting it out.

Nice!

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Same here. Our sales person advised us about renting out with Staroptions. She even went on and on about how it didn't matter where you owned because you can make a reservation anywhere at 8 months. It was not the sales pitch for someone who owned at the more desirably resorts! But she was trying to sell the Flex program.

I don't like this policy because my parents like Arizona and I would like to give them SOs to go there. I like the properties I own and I'm not buying more just to send my parents to Kierlands every so often!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did a new reservation in to someone else's name, only question was if we were going to be there or not.

It was a single StarOptions booking for more than what we own in a single VOI at the property, but less than the total of the multiple VOIs we own at that property.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Reps are all over the place on this subject. To avoid awkward conversations, you can just use the online function to make/change reservations.

I hate it when I have to call - it's obvious that the Reps. have been instructed to chat up the owners, and I dread their mindless "friendly chatter."

Recently when an owner made a reservation, one of the Reps. warned her not to swim in the ocean at WKORV, because there are sharks… :rolleyes:

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to an update on the 21st and we talked about renting. The salesperson told me to book on maui with SO's and put it on VRBO to rent out. I informed her that doing that is against Starwood's policy. So if Starwood started enforcing their rules, their sales people missed the memo!

cooldj23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time for Starwood to do what II Does

Charge a fee to gift a week to someone else. It is impossible to police who someone's friends and family are. So if they charged a $50 gifting fee, no one would squalk much and Starwood gets more money, like they did with the points carryover fee of $99. Very few owners have any idea how to rent out their week so it is not a huge issue. And I know of several cases where the renters ended up buying into the SVO program ( foolish though that may be) .