• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a timeshare. [Mystic Dunes]

donfromct1

Reaction score
Buying a timeshare.

A friend will give me his timeshare at Mystic Dunes Resort. It is a 3bdr lockout. He has 4 banked weeks. He owes the last 4 years fees and interest.m Comes to $6000. I saw the bill.l Should I purchase this ? Any input would be great.

Thanks

Don

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG - have you checked the resale market to see what this is selling for? Your friend may owe $6,000, but this timeshare is selling for $1 on the resale market.

I see 4 weeks listed on ebay starting at $1 and none of them have any bids.

And in the last month there have been 4 auctions for this resort and one sold for $1 - the others got no bids.

I don't think I would take this even if it was free, unless you want to go there every single year yourself.

Last edited:

JDF

Reaction score
Bad idea, unless you want to do your friend a very expensive favor. Except for the prime weeks (middle june to end of july) getaways on II rent for: 1 bd. 367.00, 2 bd 457.00, now till june 6. Aug. 20 to end of sept. rentals are 347.00 & 417.00. These rates are for Mystic Dunes. Those rates are probably about 60% of the mf. There is a large selection of rental inventory at Mystic Dunes, and this resort is not alone, there is litterly hundreds of rentals available in Orlando. There is far more supply than demand in Orlando. (over built) Considering maintence fee costs a timeshare for 1.00 is too much! You do need a timeshare registered with II to take advantage of their getaways.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don,

You should investigate all facts in detail:
a) which week does he own, fixed or float, high or shoulder season ?
This will affect the trading power of his week. Low season Orlando weeks are in huge supply.
b) what are expiry dates for his deposited weeks ? Some may or may not have trading value to speak of. If these are low or shoulder season weeks their value may be very low. As already pointed out you can get Orlando Getaways for less than one half of the resort's annual maintenance fees.
c) we have stayed at Mystic Dunes, its a nice resort with a golf course, but there are numerous nice resorts in Orlando including several Marriotts with golf courses. Check their golf fees if you are a golfer.
d) verify that there is no mortgage or bank loans on that week, check the cost of title transfer, incl. resort fees, if any. All loans should be paid off.
Don't accept verbal assurances, insists on documentary evidence.

This time share is obviously not free, but the full price is unknown.

donfromct1

Reaction score
Thanks DeniseM, JDF, and Kola for your responses.
He gave me the deed and it is paid in full. His week is 9. I guess the room can be split and use the 2bdrm one week and the one bdrm another week. I spoke with the people there and will only agree if all the weeks are transfered in writing.
I do not wish to spend money for no reason. I thought we could trade the extra weeks thru II for other areas but it sounds like I would be better off just booking a reg resort.
We have 3 kids and it sounded good but now I have second thoughts. If you have any other thoughts I would like to here them. They want to do this before Jan 31 2010.

Thanks again,

Don
:shrug:

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mystic Dunes are sold for $1 (if have any bidder) on ebay. Sellers offer to pay closing cost.
I would not touch anything "very hard to sell timeshare".
When you sell this timeshare later, maybe you should give some money to make someone take it.
If you buy a timeshare for trading purpose, you have many other good options which are under $6,000.
$6000 is a BIG MONEY in timeshare world, you can buy higher-end timeshares (Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott) which have great trading power and flexibility. So save your $6,000 and do more research.

donfromct1

Reaction score
Thanks Yumdrey,

Sounds like the balloon is deflating.
I have only researched for a week now and it is all over the map. However, most responses are negative.
I will share the info with the family!

thanks,

Don:bawl:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This should be very clear cut - your friend wants to sell it to you for $6,000 - you can buy it on eBay for $1.

If you want a 2 bdm. in Orlando, buy it for $1.

BUT - I would not buy in Orlando for a trader - Orlando is overbuilt so it has more supply than demand, and that lowers trading power.

Good luck!

buddy123

Reaction score
i have purchased the 2 bdrm with mystic dunes and paid 20,000 plus 650 fee yearly and it is a big RIP OFF! it is not what they said we r getting at all and i want out...does anyone know how to get out of this? will it go on ur credit if u stop paying?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i have purchased the 2 bdrm with mystic dunes and paid 20,000 plus 650 fee yearly and it is a big RIP OFF! it is not what they said we r getting at all and i want out...does anyone know how to get out of this? will it go on ur credit if u stop paying?

Hi and welcome to TUG!

Yes - they will turn you over to collections & report you to the credit bureaus.

You only have a few days to legally rescind from a TS purchase.