• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Developer Deal

TravelFree

Reaction score
I currently own a timeshare with Diamond international, and trade via RCI because I enjoy international travel. My problems is all the fees and costs associated with trading, I also want the opportunity for shorter stays. I recently attended a Wyndam timeshare presentation at Governors Green where agent stated they would sell 52,000 even points for $9000. This would give me ability to use points in addition to weeks, and bring my weeks converted to points into Wyndam at a proposed 130,000 annually into their system via their PIC program. Is this a good rate, Is this the best way for a week only user to get into a points program? Any suggestions?

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope - you can pick up Wyndham points for free (pretty much) here or on Ebay - paying the same annual mf's (or maybe less, depending on the home resort) than you would be paying for the Governor's Green points. While you would not be able to PIC your DRI week, you could find lower priced alternatives than RCI for trading it as a week internationally (DAE Live for example), and then use your Wyndham points for a short stay or two during the year. Know, however, that for short stays, Wyndham also has lots of 'nickel and dime fees' that even developer sold points would not help you escape at the low level of points they suggested you buy.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI have resorts all over the world according to their web site.

TravelFree

Reaction score
Thanks for Responding, and yes you are right about resorts, but I only own weeks, we would like to have points so that we can trade for shorter stays(One day, Weekends, etc.) In your opinion, what is the best method to get this availability? Wyndam wants about $2900 to trade weeks to points via their PIC program, in addition to Wymdam ownership if not buying from developer.

TravelFree

Reaction score
Gophesjo, Thanks for your informative response. Wyndam stated that this would just be a vehicle to get the annual 130K weeks to points from the Diamond Property.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find the numbers confusing. Generally Wyndham points go in 7K increments so 49K or 56K

Also, PIC chart does not show 130K.

On a small contract you would pay $118 POA fee in addition to HOA fee and DRI MF.

There are fees associated with PIC.

I have yet to see where buying something from Developer at his price makes sense.

PIC is Developer perk and can be changed or eliminated at any time.

Wyndham does not have much outside US and you would have to use RCI.

Also, surprised they did not offer to bonus you up to temporary VIP.

You should be able to pick up a 154K annual Wyndham contract here or e-bay for very little if not free.

mistalong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to give you an idea, just about anyone in here will sell you 250K + points for $9K. LOL.

It takes some time and research, but keep that 9K in your pocket. Great deal of experience on this site.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
we would like to have points so that we can trade for shorter stays(One day, Weekends, etc.)

One or two day stays in Wyndham will quickly eat up your housekeeping credits. The system is simply not geared towards stays such as that for most owners.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for Responding, and yes you are right about resorts, but I only own weeks, we would like to have points so that we can trade for shorter stays(One day, Weekends, etc.) In your opinion, what is the best method to get this availability? Wyndam wants about $2900 to trade weeks to points via their PIC program, in addition to Wymdam ownership if not buying from developer.

Minimum stay in Wyndham is 2 nights (3 for prime season booked before 90 days out). 3 and 4 night stays are possible prime "short" stays, usually with check in/out on a Fri/Sat/Sun (exact days can vary by resort), booked 91 days to 10 or 13 months out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Minimum stay in Wyndham is 2 nights (3 for prime season booked before 90 days out). 3 and 4 night stays are possible prime "short" stays, usually with check in/out on a Fri/Sat/Sun (exact days can vary by resort), booked 91 days to 10 or 13 months out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is 2 night minimum (outside prime time). I have stayed only one night at multiple locations over the years.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I don't think there is 2 night minimum (outside prime time). I have stayed only one night at multiple locations over the years.

That is true, I have done a couple of 1 night stays. Generally Wyndham has a 2 night minimum. 1 night stayed are created when a night gets orphaned. For instance. Someone books a 3 night stay with a Friday checkin. Then "someone" books a 3 night stay in the same unit type with a Tuesday checkin. That would orphan a Monday night, which should become available. The problem is that you will get killed by the house keeping (HK) credits. The way around that is to rent from a VIP owner.

Also I believe the OP is referring to what Wyndham calls RCI nightly stays. Which are RCI Points resort. You get access to these if you have plus partners. You get access to plus partners with a developer purchase. Once you have an account with plus partners, any resale contracts you add to it will also have plus partners. You also have the privilege of paying a higher yearly POA fee. The yearly minimum goes from $118 to $137 I believe. I have used RCI nightly stays once. I don't think it that good a deal. One night in prime season is 25,200 points plus the RCI reservation fee of $49.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

As far as I can tell, per the guidelines the 2-night minimum applies unless there is an orphaned night "exception" as Mark mentions. Have you been able to book one-nighters at will without that being the case? One night stays are certainly not something the OP should count on being able to do if he/she has specific nights needed, housekeeping fees notwithstanding.

15936-CWP-Reservation-Timeline.gif

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

Also I believe the OP is referring to what Wyndham calls RCI nightly stays. Which are RCI Points resort. You get access to these if you have plus partners. You get access to plus partners with a developer purchase....

I have used RCI nightly stays once. I don't think it that good a deal. One night in prime season is 25,200 points plus the RCI reservation fee of $49.

Those nightly stays are even worse of a deal when you consider many RCI resorts charge a fixed housekeeping fee on their end at time of booking (or at least there is there is the standard "A $xx housekeeping charge MAY apply..."). Some are only charged for reservations less than a week, while others charge a fixed amount no matter the length of stay.

So add it up... ~$100-150 MF equivalent in points + $49 RCI fee + $25-75 resort housekeeping fee... That one night can cost upwards of $175-275!!!

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own a timeshare with Diamond international, and trade via RCI because I enjoy international travel. My problems is all the fees and costs associated with trading, I also want the opportunity for shorter stays. I recently attended a Wyndam timeshare presentation at Governors Green where agent stated they would sell 52,000 even points for $9000. This would give me ability to use points in addition to weeks, and bring my weeks converted to points into Wyndam at a proposed 130,000 annually into their system via their PIC program. Is this a good rate, Is this the best way for a week only user to get into a points program? Any suggestions?

The previous posts cover your desire for multiple 1-nighters and weekends in depth, so I won't re-hash that. But the prices quoted to you are crazy high. 52k points barely gets you a single weekend at many resorts. If you PIC'd 130k, for a total of 182k, that would get you a week in a 2BR, maybe 1.5 weeks in a 1BR. You could break that into perhaps 3-4 shorter stays, but beware the housekeeping fees.

DRI has generally higher MF than Wyndham, so to trade your use of DRI for Wyndham points is a losing proposition, by far. Most people PIC low MF fixed weeks, and only to get to some VIP level (thresholds are 400k/700k/1M), so your 182k annual developer points basically get you nothing of value.

You would be much better off buying a resale Wyndham contract at a low MF resort than using your DRI to PIC.

Wait.. I just noticed you said "52,000 even points for $9000." Did you mean EVERY OTHER YEAR (EVEN) points? This makes it an even WORSE proposition... One could find over 1-1.5 MILLION annual points at a low MF resort for $9k...

VIP members get unlimited housekeeping, so we can do a bunch of short stays and not worry about HK fees, but if I were to start from scratch, I would not shell out tens of thousands of dollars just to have that ability. I could stay in Ritz-Carltons for a night here and there and still come out ahead after 20 years...

Last edited:

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
Those nightly stays are even worse of a deal when you consider many RCI resorts charge a fixed housekeeping fee on their end at time of booking (or at least there is there is the standard "A $xx housekeeping charge MAY apply..."). Some are only charged for reservations less than a week, while others charge a fixed amount no matter the length of stay.

So add it up... ~$100-150 MF equivalent in points + $49 RCI fee + $25-75 resort housekeeping fee... That one night can cost upwards of $175-275!!!

That is true. The place I went to didn't have the extra housekeeping charge. But even without that it's not that good a deal. The only reason I did it that once was because I had 40k canceled reservation points that were going to expire in a few weeks. So my only recourse was to put them into RCI. I probably would never use them but I discovered an RCI resort only a couple of hours drive from me where I could get two weekend nights for 40k. So I spent the $69.00 and went for it. The only thing I plan to use RCI for is the last calls and $199 specials.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The developer "deal" you cite is really no "deal" at all...

<snip> I recently attended a Wyndam timeshare presentation at Governors Green where agent stated they would sell 52,000 even points for $9000. This would give me ability to use points in addition to weeks...<snip>

Fwiw, You can find TUG "Bargain Deals" from people willing to give away (for free) Wyndham points packages in excess of of 152,000 annual points.
Sometimes, they will pay the $299 Wyndham transfer fee themselves. I for one gave away a 184k package and happily paid the transfer fee myself, just to be rid of it.

Put the checkbook away. Do the math. Look around --- outside of the sales room. 'Nuff said.

Last edited: