• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering Resale Points Purchase, Have a Few Questions

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am considering a purchase of Wyndham Points (resale). I have a few questions, please bear with me.

The points are, for example, 200,000 annual points @ Wyndham Royal Vista in Florida.

Questions:

1. If these are points, why are they tied to a specific resort?

2. What if I want the points but want the ability to travel to different Wyndham properties?

3. Assuming I am not tied to this particular resort only (forget non-Wyndham resorts through II, RCI, etc for the moment) Which Wyndham properties would these points entitle me to book trips to?

Thank you.

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck

Good luck on your review/purchase you will find great info here!
1)the contract seems to be a point contract, home resort at Royal Vista. (Considering that the contract is not a Club Wyndham Acess-CWA. If it is, then you get priority to book at several resorts as the home resort).

The home resort allows you to have ARP(advance reservation priority), ability to book your reversations at 13months vs 10months. You have to call wyndham to make the reservation between, prior to the 10month. All other Wyndham owners can book starting at10months.

2) You are able to book at other reservations staring at 10months.

3) you would be able to book any Wyndham resort starting at 10months. The resorts are shown on the clubwyndham website.

Good luck!

Vacationfuntips

TUG Member
Reaction score
My answers are in blue:

Hello all.

I am considering a purchase of Wyndham Points (resale). I have a few questions, please bear with me.

The points are, for example, 200,000 annual points @ Wyndham Royal Vista in Florida.

Questions:

1. If these are points, why are they tied to a specific resort? They are points and can be used at all resorts within Club Wyndham. If you purchased Wyndham Royal Vista, this would be your "home resort" You would pay the maintenance fees for that ownership location and have a 13 month window to book Advance Reservations Priority (ARP) there.

Some people choose a home resort because they wish to vacation at a particular resort more often. Some people don't care very much where they buy and consider points as points. When deciding on a home resort, consider at points charts, location, reviews, desirability and the cost of the maintenance fees. Some resorts have higher maintenance fees and others have lower maintenance fees.

2. What if I want the points but want the ability to travel to different Wyndham properties? You can use your Wyndham points anywhere Club Wyndham has a property to book reservations (based upon availability). The earlier you book a reservation the better the chance you will have of getting it. Starting at 10 months out and based upon availability - you can book outside of your deeded home resort.

3. Assuming I am not tied to this particular resort only (forget non-Wyndham resorts through II, RCI, etc for the moment) Which Wyndham properties would these points entitle me to book trips to? You can book at all Club Wyndham properties. Look at the Wyndham Directory of locations. Link: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/2013657298WMD/

Additionally, before purchasing Wyndham timeshare points - you should read the rules regarding Wyndham points in the directory. Also the Wyndham Primer is very helpful. Here is another link:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/wyndham_points_introduction.html

Thank you.

Cynthia T. :)

Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies....

Would somebody kindly explain the difference between the below (as per the "resort directory") and to which of these the points I would purchase via resale apply (and how)?

Club Wyndham Plus Resort

Wyndham Club Pass Resort

Affiliate Resort

Associate Resort

Associate Hotel

*Outrigger Resort Club by Wyndham

Thanks much.

SBD

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies....

Would somebody kindly explain the difference between the below (as per the "resort directory") and to which of these the points I would purchase via resale apply (and how)?

Club Wyndham Plus Resort

Wyndham Club Pass Resort

Affiliate Resort

Associate Resort

Associate Hotel

*Outrigger Resort Club by Wyndham

Thanks much.

SBD

I would ignore these. except the Club Wyndham resorts.

They are "extras". not really part of Club Wyndham. You can use your points at these places but availability isnt enough that you can count of finding what you want, when you want it, and at least in the case of the hotels, the points required to stay there make it more expensive than just using cash. Focusing on these extras would be like buying a house based on how its furnished...you are not buying the furniture.

If you need a proper definition of these, its all in the owner directory
Your original questions are answered there too

1) A Wyndham ownership is generally a deeded ownership at a specific resort. Your points are symbolic of that deeded ownership
2) All the deeds owned by all the owners are assigned to the Fairshare Trust. These are the Club Wyndham resorts. The provisions of the trust allow you to use your points from your resort at the other resorts in the trust
3)the directory provides you with a list of all the resorts in the trust

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ignore these. except the Club Wyndham resorts.

They are "extras". not really part of Club Wyndham. You can use your points at these places but availability isnt enough that you can count of finding what you want, when you want it, and at least in the case of the hotels, the points required to stay there make it more expensive than just using cash. Focusing on these extras would be like buying a house based on how its furnished...you are not buying the furniture.

If you need a proper definition of these, its all in the owner directory
Your original questions are answered there too

1) A Wyndham ownership is generally a deeded ownership at a specific resort. Your points are symbolic of that deeded ownership
2) All the deeds owned by all the owners are assigned to the Fairshare Trust. These are the Club Wyndham resorts. The provisions of the trust allow you to use your points from your resort at the other resorts in the trust
3)the directory provides you with a list of all the resorts in the trust

Thank you. I looked at the directory and notice that some locations say limited availability and very limited availability. What does that mean (other than the obvious)? Are those locations really hotel resorts as opposed to TS resorts and they make a few hotel rooms available under the program?

Guess my concern is that if I buy points (Resale of course) I will be able to use them at places other than the "home resort"

Thanks again

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
You're overthinking this part of it.

You can book all over with your points.

If you want ARP at any particular resort then buy at that resort. If you don't think you need the ARP for where you want to travel and when, then look for the cheapest MFs you can find for the price you want to pay.

Designerd

TUG Member
Reaction score
As you learn the a Wyndham system, the more disciplined you are about booking the happier you will be. Remember you can cancel reservations up to 15 days prior and get points back. So plan in advance! I purchased resale about 1.5 yrs ago and this is how it has been for me.

I purchased several resales that closed mid year. As soon as they closed, I began looking where to book based on my daughter's school calendar.

* Since the use year had started, I would not be able to bank any unused points at Wyndham. I had to use them thru Wyndham or pay to move to RCI before they expired. If you buy before your use year starts you are able to pay a fee and bank points with a Wyndham for a few years.

Just to give you an example of what I was able to book with 6 months left of usage points:
- 2 separate rooms at Panama City beach, 5 days
- 2 separate rooms at Avenue Plaza in New Orleans, 1 week
- 2 bedroom at Bonnet Creek, 1 week
- 2 bedroom at Greater Smokey Mountain, 3 days

I give you these examples because I own at: Bonnet creek, La Belle Masion, Ocean Blvd. So you can see points are points once you are in the system.

I am using ARP for the first time this year to book at
La Belle Masion during a festival when they are always sold out. Because I own there, the number of points on this contract ONLY can be used to book a reservation 13 months out.

So hopefully you are able to see the benefit as mentioned above of owning points at the lowest maintenance fee possible vs a time when an ARP reservation could benefit you if you want to travel to a specific resort during a high peak time or you know that it will be hard to get a reservation.

**Planning ahead has been the key for me being happy with my Wyndham resale purchase. Hope the example helps and Good Luck!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I looked at the directory and notice that some locations say limited availability and very limited availability. What does that mean (other than the obvious)? Are those locations really hotel resorts as opposed to TS resorts and they make a few hotel rooms available under the program?

Guess my concern is that if I buy points (Resale of course) I will be able to use them at places other than the "home resort"

Thanks again

First of all you will be able to use your points at places other than your home resort, but as you can see availability is limited or very limited at some of the resorts

I really appreciate you reading this stuff before you ask the questions. Almost everything is in the directory, but sometimes it takes a while to find it, and understand how it all fits together

Limited and very limited availability is defined in the directory,but easy to miss....its on page 9

Limited is less than 50 units, very limited is less than 10

Your next question might be, Its a big resort, why so few units available?
heres an example:

Wyndhams Avenue Plaza Resort in New Orleans has 264 units, but has very limited availability. ...Whats up with that? It was not developed by wyndham. Wyndham bought the management contract and the unsold units after the original developer died, from his heirs. It was sold as a floating weeks resort. The weeks he sold are not in the trust and so have no points associated with them. . Also 63 of the unsold units were put into another timeshare system (Worldmark) that Wyndham manages. So the only weeks in the trust (pointed) are the unsold weeks that were not put into Worldmark, and the weeks that owners converted to points....According to the directory, that adds up to less than 10 units a week....no wonder I cant get the Mardi Gras reservations I want.

Others of the legacy resorts have similar stories... where most of the weeks are still owned by the original weeks owners, the only points are from weeks where the owners have converted their ownership to points.

Bottom line...if you are buying wyndham points because you want to vacation at one of the limited availability resorts all the time, you might be disappointed, or if you want to vacation exclusively at the most popular places at the most popular times. (for example July 4th at Myrtle Beach, Bike week in Daytona, Mardi Gras, ) But for the rest of the system, you'll be fine

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deeded Royal Vista points are NOT CHEAP -- lots of retired Snowbird members could bid that particular offering higher than you might like.

Additionally, the MFs at RV is higher than many inland resorts (not beachfront) as insurance and upkeep are higher due to that great salt air and hurricanes. But IF you want a beachfront vacation for Christmas week or Spring Break, you have to book 13 months in advance and will have a great time. After all, beachfront is limited and the 2 pools are heated. ;)