• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Oh great, airport open but noooooo ferries yet!

VIRGIN ISLANDS PORT AUTHORITY
8 mins ·
Virgin Islands Port Authority Executive Director Carlton Dowe advises the public that the Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas and the Henry E. Rohlsen Airport on St. Croix are both open as Tropical Storm Erika passes the US Virgin Islands.
Governor Kenneth E. Mapp has imposed a curfew; however, all airport employees (including federal agencies required to process flights) are asked to report to work. Airport employees may use their airport ID badges as a curfew pass.

During a storm, the US Coast Guard has jurisdiction over the opening and closure of the seaports. The seaports were closed effective midnight Aug. 26 and remain closed until further notice. The US Coast Guard plans to perform an assessment of the seaports and will determine their status by 9:30 a.m. today.

Dowe encourages the public to listen to radio news broadcasts for updates and reminds travelers to contact their airlines directly for flight schedules.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Sorry that you're stuck, but I'm glad you're safe. You certainly don't want to be on a ferry during a tropical storm!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry that you're stuck, but I'm glad you're safe. You certainly don't want to be on a ferry during a tropical storm!

Was to.d by front desk to check back at 9:30. We ended up booking the Westin ferry on Wednesdsay in hopes it would make for an easier transition to the airport.

Fingers crossed!!! :shrug:

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting at Red Hook now. First in line when the car ferry reopens. Port personnel said it's just a matter of time for the Coast Guard to give clearance. The car ferry is in St John now so we have at least a 30 minute wait after the port reopens.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiting at Red Hook now. First in line when the car ferry reopens. Port personnel said it's just a matter of time for the Coast Guard to give clearance. The car ferry is in St John now so we have at least a 30 minute wait after the port reopens.

You already know the good news!

VIRGIN ISLANDS PORT AUTHORITY
31 mins · Edited ·
The US Coast Guard has officially re-opened all seaports in the US Virgin Islands. Airports on St. Thomas and St. Croix were opened early this morning. Contact your airlines or ferry/barge service providers for schedule information!
We thank everyone for their patience!

We were able to change our flights and get the Marriott using an AC......
Enjoy your stay at the Westin.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agh. Port personnel came over and said don't move from the line. (We're first in line.). There will be one and only one car ferry crossing today at 3:30 pm. But at least we will get to St. John.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Westin now. They ran an unscheduled early car ferry to get people to the airport. Of course our room isn't ready. And they can't give us wifi access until we are "completely" checked in. Really? I'm in a grumpy mood I guess after sitting at Red Hook for almost four hours. And my grumpy self isn't too impressed with the grounds so far.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Westin now. They ran an unscheduled early car ferry to get people to the airport. Of course our room isn't ready. And they can't give us wifi access until we are "completely" checked in. Really? I'm in a grumpy mood I guess after sitting at Red Hook for almost four hours. And my grumpy self isn't too impressed with the grounds so far.

Is the bar open?

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
No bar open. Went to the pool to check.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No bar open. Went to the pool to check.

The bar at Lemongrass is open and the restaurant is serving breakfast lunch and dinner buffet style.

Considering the amount of personnel that did not make it to work today and the fact that the departing guest did not leave u til after 1PM, I feel the resort and staff did a great job.
We got the 2 PM ferry to STT and are now at the Marriott Frenchmans Cove using an AC. We consider ourselves lucky and will enjoy an extra few days.

I think revisiting the front desk for the internet code would be in order. There is (I believe?) free internet access in the lobby. Others will chime in.

My first stay as an owner at the WSJ was fantastic and I can not wait to go back.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yes, many workers (if not most) - live on StT and have to ferry over - plus have their own families and homes to deal with after storms like these.

Good adage for StJ... Adapt

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had asked about an access code for the lobby. Said I had to have room number and they didn't have that for me. But all's well. Did finally get our room and it's very nice for a studio with a great view to boot.

Let me add, it's the most fabulous studio I've stayed in. Especially compared to a Marriott or Hyatt studio in terms of size, patio size and what's included. We're not going to make much use of the kitchen besides coffee, for the three days here, but wow.

We are planning to go to Trunk Bay tomorrow to snorkel. Water looked really choppy on the. way over. Had a near panic attack snorkeling in Sapphire Bay two days ago when a wave knocked my snorkel out as I was turning to check where hubby was and ingested large amounts of sea water. Will also check if any snorkel sailboats will be back to operating this weekend.

Dinner buffet at Lemongrass was very nice and probably the cheapest meal I've eaten on this trip. $24 per person.

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
bobpark56

We are thinking of renting out our 2017 Coral Vista studio. Are their any special hoops we would have to jump through with WSJ when doing this? Fees, restrictions, etc. Do we need a guest certificate from WSJ? If so, what does that cost. Would folks who rent our unit face any added fees?

Advice appreciated.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which section are you in - Coral Vista or Hillside?

Thanks guys. I had asked about an access code for the lobby. Said I had to have room number and they didn't have that for me. But all's well. Did finally get our room and it's very nice for a studio with a great view to boot.

Let me add, it's the most fabulous studio I've stayed in. Especially compared to a Marriott or Hyatt studio in terms of size, patio size and what's included. We're not going to make much use of the kitchen besides coffee, for the three days here, but wow.

We are planning to go to Trunk Bay tomorrow to snorkel. Water looked really choppy on the. way over. Had a near panic attack snorkeling in Sapphire Bay two days ago when a wave knocked my snorkel out as I was turning to check where hubby was and ingested large amounts of sea water. Will also check if any snorkel sailboats will be back to operating this weekend.

Dinner buffet at Lemongrass was very nice and probably the cheapest meal I've eaten on this trip. $24 per person.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are thinking of renting out our 2017 Coral Vista studio. Are their any special hoops we would have to jump through with WSJ when doing this? Fees, restrictions, etc. Do we need a guest certificate from WSJ? If so, what does that cost. Would folks who rent our unit face any added fees?

Advice appreciated.

Your guests are treated just like an owner. You can log into mystarcentral and add your guests name and then email your updated confirmation. There is no cost.
I toured CV with a friend and would definitely request a first floor studio when I made my yearly reservation....only first floor studios have a terrace/outdoor seating area. No balconies on studios on other floors and that is something I would really want. I would not rent a studio without outdoor space.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Lizap: we are in Hillside Villas. I love the convenience of parking next to our front door. Hubby wishes he was lower down the hill. :wall:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our kids are really missing WSJ this summer. We had to go to CA for a wedding instead. My daughter keeps taking about missing her "little steps", i.e., the short, meandering steps up to Bay Vista. I miss the beautiful, clear blue waters, the pool, and the rice balls at Rhumb Lines.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Our kids are really missing WSJ this summer. We had to go to CA for a wedding instead. My daughter keeps taking about missing her "little steps", i.e., the short, meandering steps up to Bay Vista. I miss the beautiful, clear blue waters, the pool, and the rice balls at Rhumb Lines.

I know the feeling. We're going to be missing WSJ next summer, due to a couple of family weddings... unless we can work out something last minute.

jschmeling

TUG Member
Reaction score
20 days to go! My wife and I and two friends are coming in September, looking forward to the trip and getting back to WSJ. We love it, two trips on Starwood points, and we bought on our last trip in CV. (Flexibility plus the Starpoints was the key for us.) But, I am sorely tempted to buy into the other phases on the secondary market. We love the island (and the resort pools plus on site Cruz Bay Watersports) and would come once or twice annually for the forseeable future. (As CV owners we aren't eligible for any of the newsletters or offers from the other phases, is that right?)

Last trip in April (May?) was a bit offputting with the sea lice stings, but stocked up on SafeSea for this trip - guess we'll check a bag since they are 4 oz packages. Any changes with the recent wind/rain? Or is that just wishful thinking?

We're trying something new this time, jeep rental on STT and car ferry instead of WSJ ferry since there are 4 of us and the WSJ ferry seems a little pricey. Will be our first time on STT other than the quick taxi from airport to ferry. I guess we'll see Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook this time.

One of our party is vegan this time (except cheese) so any recommendations for restaurants?

Excited and anxious to get back in the water - last question - we love Cruz Bay's catamaran trip to Jost, the snorkeling on the way, and enjoyed the Virgin Gorda, Cooper Island, Norman Island trip - part of the fun is all the new people we meet. But, I wonder if it would be worth doing a private charter once?

James

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
20 days to go! My wife and I and two friends are coming in September, looking forward to the trip and getting back to WSJ. We love it, two trips on Starwood points, and we bought on our last trip in CV. (Flexibility plus the Starpoints was the key for us.) But, I am sorely tempted to buy into the other phases on the secondary market. We love the island (and the resort pools plus on site Cruz Bay Watersports) and would come once or twice annually for the forseeable future. (As CV owners we aren't eligible for any of the newsletters or offers from the other phases, is that right?)

Last trip in April (May?) was a bit offputting with the sea lice stings, but stocked up on SafeSea for this trip - guess we'll check a bag since they are 4 oz packages. Any changes with the recent wind/rain? Or is that just wishful thinking?

We're trying something new this time, jeep rental on STT and car ferry instead of WSJ ferry since there are 4 of us and the WSJ ferry seems a little pricey. Will be our first time on STT other than the quick taxi from airport to ferry. I guess we'll see Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook this time.

One of our party is vegan this time (except cheese) so any recommendations for restaurants?

Excited and anxious to get back in the water - last question - we love Cruz Bay's catamaran trip to Jost, the snorkeling on the way, and enjoyed the Virgin Gorda, Cooper Island, Norman Island trip - part of the fun is all the new people we meet. But, I wonder if it would be worth doing a private charter once?

James

Did not have any sea lice problems 8/21-28. We went to Trunk, cinnamon, Leinster, Hurricane Hole, Honeymoon, Lovingo, Ditleff Point and Flanigan Island

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for extra nights

We're planning to travel during the busy season for the first time, and we will be staying 5 nights from an explorer package.

Any suggestions on what to do if we want to extend our trip? 5 nights is a little short, so thinking of trying to add 2 nights somehow either on StJ or STT (we've not stayed on StT before). There are 2 adults and 4 children so a hotel-sized room won't cut it. I looked at WSJ prices and Frenchmen's Cove on StT, but the rates are about $700/night.

Dreams on StT is available during the time we need on RCI but it doesn't look like a great place to bring kids. Any suggestions?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Dreams on StT is available during the time we need on RCI but it doesn't look like a great place to bring kids. Any suggestions?

Lots of options on VRBO. If you want to stay on St. John, I'd pick a villa near Coral Bay since you'll be closer to Cruz Bay when stay at WSJ. Lots of more affordable options on STT. Personally, if I stayed on STT, I'd opt to stay there at the beginning of my trip so that I ended the trip on STJ. STT has beautiful bays but the island itself is more crowded and dirtier.

Another option if y'all have valid passports is to venture over to one of the British Virgin Islands, such as Virgin Gorda. Villas in the BVI tend to be pricier, but they are just gorgeous. Definitely hit The Baths if you can, whether you stay here or not.

Another option might be to fly to San Juan or Miami and take a 4 or 5 night Caribbean cruise, then fly to STT when you return. Or look into chartering a sailboat yacht for a few nights.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Trying to verify no lien on a resale

I tried to call Sheraton Vacation Ownership to verify there isn't a lien on a resale I am considering. I was told they could not give out any information on an ownership that wasn't mine. Can someone tell me how to verify this information. The seller appears open and honest, but I don't want to make a big mistake. The property is the Westin St. John. :wall:

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, first time I have tried posting. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.