• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Selling and Closing on a time share in Hawaii [merged]

JFST

Reaction score
I have a buyer for my time share in Hawaii and I would like to have someone handle the sale and closing for me so it's done right. Can anyone recommend a good company that I can trust to complete the sale for me. I'm the seller - is it necessary to have a title search done which is fairly expensive? I would just like to get the bare bones closing done which would include the transfer with the resort as well as the filing at the state of Hawaii.

Thanks for your help on this.

Jack

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Usually, the buyer chooses, and pays for closing services. It's up to the buyer whether or not they want a title search. Under new law, a company licensed in Hawaii, must hold escrow. more info.

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, First American title co. and Chicago title can do transfer for Hawaiian TS.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
AFAIK, First American title co. and Chicago title can do transfer for Hawaiian TS.

Only if they have an office in Hawaii:

now all the funds related to closing have to be handled by one of the 7 or 8 LICENSED ESCROW COMPANIES in Hawaii. The requirements to become a licensed Hawaii Escrow Company are many, with the main one being you have to have a real office and a real employee working there for them to come in and audit the books at their discretion.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
First American Title

I have a buyer for my time share in Hawaii and I would like to have someone handle the sale and closing for me so it's done right. Can anyone recommend a good company that I can trust to complete the sale for me. I'm the seller - is it necessary to have a title search done which is fairly expensive? I would just like to get the bare bones closing done which would include the transfer with the resort as well as the filing at the state of Hawaii.

Thanks for your help on this.

Jack

I used First American Title in Hawaii. They work w/ the title office and will save you some time, as Hawaii can be picky about their forms. I am in Chicago and would have had to spend a lot of time filling out forms, mailing/faxing, etc. without them.

JFST

Reaction score
Advice on selling a time share [merged]

I'm selling a time to a person in another state who has agreed to the terms verbally. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed. I plan on drawing up a purchase agreement myself and sending it to him to be noterized. Once I receive his signed purchase agreement with payment in full or a down payment I would then sign the purchase agreement, have it noterized and then send it to Old Republic & Escrow co. in Hawaii. Should I ask for the entire amount ($4,000) up front at the time he returns my purchase agreement to me or just a down payment of $500 or $1000? If I ask for just a down payment at what point would I ask him to send me the balance? We're in two different states so it won't be easy to meet to do a closing.

Or do you recomment a totally different method of finalizing the sale

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since you have picked your escrow/title company, you should contact them before you go any further, and find out what the proper procedure is. They know the law, and they will want to follow a specific process.

Has the buyer agreed to this company?

Are you confident that you can write a legal contract?

All funds should go into escrow - not to the seller. That's the whole purpose of using escrow - it protects the buyer. In fact, the law I mentioned above, requires you to use escrow. If the money is sent to you - you aren't using escrow.

An escrow is: an arrangement where an independent trusted third-party receives and disburses money and/or documents for two or more transacting parties, with the timing of such disbursement by the third-party dependent on the performance by the parties of agreed-upon contractual provisions

As a buyer, I would want to send a small good faith deposit, and then the balance after I received the estoppel letter.

*If you have more questions about selling this property, please post them in this thread, instead of starting a new one, for continuity.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I'm selling a time to a person in another state who has agreed to the terms verbally. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed. I plan on drawing up a purchase agreement myself and sending it to him to be noterized. Once I receive his signed purchase agreement with payment in full or a down payment I would then sign the purchase agreement, have it noterized and then send it to Old Republic & Escrow co. in Hawaii. Should I ask for the entire amount ($4,000) up front at the time he returns my purchase agreement to me or just a down payment of $500 or $1000? If I ask for just a down payment at what point would I ask him to send me the balance? We're in two different states so it won't be easy to meet to do a closing.

Or do you recomment a totally different method of finalizing the sale

I've done two deals using Old Republic in the past two years. If you send me a PM, I will give you contact info for the people in their timeshare division.

They are expensive, but at least they know what they are doing. Deed recordation in Hawaii is an arcane exercise and they can expedite better than most. The high cost is a foreseeable side effect of the new Hawaii law.

Let them run the process; that's why you are paying them (and a request to the buyer from them will have more credibility than a request from you)

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii

National Title(Julie Evenson) which is part of Stewart Title does a good time they are currently doing 2 for me. :clap: