• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice on problem with closing a timeshare purchase

eliotmark

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a resale on eBay in March of this year. The seller had no feedback so he agreed to have a 100% eBay rated company in CA handle the closing. The eBay ad stated "92,500 Bonus Points Free". The transfer contract had a statement in large text that "There are 92,500 points available to use now". The ownership was transferred but there were no additional points beyond the points for the latest use year for which maintance fees were paid. The closing company has agrued that this is a dispute to be resolved with the seller. The closing company initially offered their understanding of the term "92,500 points available" stating that these were the 92,500 points that are in my account. I explained that these points were not available until months after the transfer contract was signed and not until the maintenance fees were paid. I have agrued that the closing company needs to give a reasonable meaning to all the wording in the contract. I have asked them to contact the seller to get his understanding of the terms in question. Doesn't the closing company have an obligation to interpret the contract in order to determine if the terms have been completed before distribution of funds? The value of the points is about $700. I would appreciate any advice from fellow Tuggers. I don't plan to take formal legal action put do plan to advise fellow Tuggers of the problem if the matter is not resolved. I will also file a complaint with the BBB and move on.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I agree that this is very poor service, but these questions should have been asked before you bought the TS, and you should have asked for an estoppel letter to document exactly what you were buying. If the deed has been recorded in your name, you probably have no recourse at this point, unless the closing company decides to cooperate voluntarily.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the closing company and seller one and the same? If so it makes it that much tougher. Ask for a full refund.

When everything is settledbe sure to post both companies on TUG and other places for others to know.

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
closing a timeshare

I'm in the process of closing an eBay TS right now, that is similar. The 2009 points + 2010 points (that will be earned just after the RCI account is set up), are both to appear in the account when everything is done.

After reviewing the posts/info on TUG I was prepared and verified that the 2009 points were called out seperately from the 2010 points, and were specifically included in:
- the Contract Purchase Agreement,
- in the Closing Company Contract,
- the Buyer-Seller Contract/Estoppel, and
- Final Buyer-Seller Compliance Agreement the closing company uses to satisify their guarantee.

Thanks to Denise and other TUGgers! ...now I've got another ~4 weeks to wait before I can verify it went the way it should.

Chuck

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also - have you contacted the seller?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd surely prefer to "back" a fellow Yankee here, but...

Doesn't the closing company have an obligation to interpret the contract in order to determine if the terms have been completed before distribution of funds?

In a single word --- no (imho, anyhow). The closing company function is to independently effect the proper transfer of ownership upon (i.e., after) buyer and seller agree to terms (and accordingly, the meaning and understanding thereof) between themselves. Absent any questions or concerns expressed by either party in advance of closing, it seems to me that the role of the closing company is simply to "make it happen".

Unless the seller and the closing company are actually one and the same entity, in which case there is some questionable "grey" area, I'm not confident that you have much of a leg to stand on here... :shrug:

Last edited:

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used almost all closing companies recommended here on TUG, and my impression is :
They don't want to be involved what contract says (what buyer and seller made arrangement).
They just did their work fast and efficiently - transfer the ownership legally.
When I asked about the "guarantee of what I am buying", they said it's broker's work and they are not brokers, so buyer and seller should make a sales contract and if needed, they could provide forms, but didn't want to be involved.

So I would contact seller and try to find a solution.

eliotmark

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help/one other question

Thank you for your help. I'm still working the problem and will post if and when the issue is settled. If the seller agrees that the prior year points were included in the original contract but the points are now no longer available and further agrees to adjust the agreed contract price, is it likely the closing company will accept and make a distribution of funds based on a revised agreement? Adding to the problem, the seller has gone out of business/declared bankruptcy. Who has authority to renegotiate the original purchase contract? Thanks again!

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I'm still working the problem and will post if and when the issue is settled. If the seller agrees that the prior year points were included in the original contract but the points are now no longer available and further agrees to adjust the agreed contract price, is it likely the closing company will accept and make a distribution of funds based on a revised agreement? Adding to the problem, the seller has gone out of business/declared bankruptcy. Who has authority to renegotiate the original purchase contract? Thanks again!

You may have another issue that you need to be focused on. You say the seller is in bankruptcy. HAS YOUR DEED been recorded yet. If it has not, and the seller is in bankruptcy, you have a different problem to worry about as the court does not usually allow transfers of property without court apporval when a BK has been filed.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used almost all closing companies recommended here on TUG, and my impression is :
They don't want to be involved what contract says (what buyer and seller made arrangement).
They just did their work fast and efficiently - transfer the ownership legally.
When I asked about the "guarantee of what I am buying", they said it's broker's work and they are not brokers, so buyer and seller should make a sales contract and if needed, they could provide forms, but didn't want to be involved.

So I would contact seller and try to find a solution.

Closing companies should follow the terms of the contract, that is the prevailing documents. Good closing companies will get you an estoppel letter showing no maintenance fees are due, but if you want a guarantee of what you are buying is free and clear of all title defects, that is what a title search and title policy cover.

As part of a closing, we do not do a title search unless we have been asked to do one and that we have been paid for the work that has to be done and the liability that is taken on.

Also, most closing companies, even the ones listed here on TUG are not title companies, so they are limited in the services they can provide.