• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oceana Palms Impressions

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
I've already made some initial comments about Oceana Palms ( MVO ). We spent 2 weeks on resort and my wife and I have just returned for another week. Armed with my previous insights, I offer these comments as we do this return visit in a corner ocean front unit which allows me to speak to most aspects of what a guest might experience here.

First off, conversations with other owners/guests during the 3 weeks we experience MVO reveal that folks are mostly blown away by what they see and experience. Marriott has nailed it in terms of aesthetics, & elegance combined with an informal, relaxing feel. While the villas have the 'wow factor', even this attribute is surpassed by the vista views from every balcony. Marriott listens very closely to guest surveys & 'wish lists' for this resort and among those wishes were a desire for larger balconies. I expect that the attribute most remembered by guests will indeed be the views. There is not one single unit in this first building that does not have a superlative view. In fact, every villa ( excepting the middle ocean front villa ) has a view of the ocean and the inland waterway. That middle ocean front villa instead has a 30 foot long balcony from which you're mesmerized by the ocean. The ocean view villas have a balcony similar to that ocean front middle villa, except that the balcony is not quite as long or wide ( but still very generous ). The two corner ocean front units have smaller balconies, but they are wrap-arounds which give unbelievable views.

Basically speaking, all of the 2BR non-lockoff villas have the same floor plan; this includes all of the ocean view units and the middle ocean front units. That said, the MBR in the ocean front unit is slightlly larger than that of the ocean view villa. Both have expansive MBR showers. The ocean view villa bedrooms have windows which reach to the floor and this affords a unique view below you -- you do not even have to get out of bed to enjoy it. The two corner ocean front villas also have bedroom windows which reach the floor. There is also a window in the dining room which makes for an extremely bright villa experience. I suspect that these corner ocean view villas will be the most requested view. That said, folks doing a longer stay or those who prefer clean linear lines and space might notice the narrower feel in these corner units as the kitchen is laid out in an 'L' and there are lots of angles and corners to navigate throughtout the villa. There also are lots of 'tight spaces' where closet & other doors compete/collide with each other for space. Additionally, the master bath/shower in the corner unit are much smaller than the middle ocean front unit, and the W/D are rather clumsily situation. But above all things, these corner units are about the view so some alterations were necessary to deliver this view.

The pool deck functions well and it's really nice to look at. Attendants are constantly realigning chairs to maintain that symmetric Ritz look and feel -- just another example of how Marriott is trying to tweak the guest experience. During our return visit, the weather is warmer and the resort feels a bit livelier than on our earlier visit. But lively does not imply noisey or crowded. Everyone is finding their own space here and the resort remains a quiet place.

The restaurant continues to tweak and innovate as does the Market Place. It's been interesting to witiness 'thinking on the fly' as the F&B folks listen to guests to seek out their ideas and preferences. The Market Place introduces on-site baked pastry as well as sandwiches and light fare that people seem to want to take out onto the beach. The restaurant serves breakfast 3 days a week ( and will expand that if demand requires it ) as well as pondering new menu items to a menu that is partly beach grill like other resorts while also offering more unique and distinctive tasty salads and wraps. I had remarked about the lack of hot dogs ( beach and hot dogs are an American past time ) and upon our return, we discover that not only do they now offer hot dogs, but they went out and acquired a shiny hot dog cart complete with umbrella which is parked at the beach entrance a few days a week. The innovation here at MVO is refreshing and reveals that this team is working hard to create a different sort of resort experience.

Lots of people are doing preview tours ( can you believe a waiting list to do a preview ? ). Can't speak to how sales are going, but they are selling units here and the first building is pushing 60% sold -- not bad in a recession. Occupancy at the resort in this more busy part of the platinum season has been over 90% and essentially full on certain nights. Yet one does not really notice the people. It's all part of the botique concept.

Folks trying to trade in (either to the ocean front or ocean view weeks) might want to queue up for the south side units as these units have the ocean/waterway views as well as the sunset. Then again, the north side ain't exactly a bad view either ( and could be the preferred view for the ocean view villas in the summer when that sun is gonna be pretty intense ). Keep in mind that requests will be prioritized by MVO multi-week & then single week resort owners occupying in season, & then MVC traders coming in followed by the rest of the pecking order. So there may not be many oceanfront south corners & limited ocean view south views for non-MVO owners. You'll have a great stay anyhow.

So I'm on resort a few days more and snapping photos of the corner ocean front unit which will pretty much help tell the visual story of the resort. I'll post those shots sometime next week. A rainy day today, but no cabin fever on our part with these vista views.

Barry

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Lots of availability the last week of April thru mid May.

mybelle

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates

It sounds as if the 1st of June, when we will be there, will be perfect! I really appreciate your attention to details in your descriptions.

LeeAnn

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
It sounds as if the 1st of June, when we will be there, will be perfect! I really appreciate your attention to details in your descriptions.

Thanks Lee Ann, I am trying to convey more precise information since the resort is so new and folks might appreciate the detail. That said, I notice an error in my message where I say "I suspect that these corner ocean view villas will be the most requested view." I should have said ' ocean front' corner villas.

Barry

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're also here this week. On the north side 18th floor. Fantastic view. Large balcony. The building next door is set back so we have a clear vista right over their pool area. Watched a spinner shark the other day scooting through the water as it was chasing a meal. Also watched manatee coming down the beach.

The pantry is fantastic for personal kitchen items. We're on a 7 week trip and have plenty of this to fill the shelves. Having the kitchen open with the island as a divider instead of the pass through is also a wonderful feature.

The first days of our stay were cloudy and windy. Not as many people by the pool. Tues. and Wed. were nicer so everyone came out to enjoy. The sunniest chairs are the busiest which means the "adult" pool is the busiest. As the weather warms up I suspect the shaded areas should take on more of the guests. When the next building goes up, that will mean twice as many guests competing for chairs. There is a sign on one of the pools that says "Adult Pool". The only difference I see in the guests who use the pools is the kid pool doesn't have adults but the adult pool does have kids. Same with the 2 hot tubs.

This is a busy week here with Spring Break. On Tues. we planned lunch at the bar/restaurant. It was a busy day with 1 waitress and 1 bar tender. The other waiter didn't show up for work. The waitress said there was 1 cook. With almost every table filled it was chaotic. The food is good but the service needs tweaking.

As wonderful as this room is with the slider door open and listening to the surf, it's time to check out the pool. Got to run.

mybelle

Reaction score
Oceana Palms and area

When we were down last summer for the Hook/Line/Sinker, lol, where we finally bought a timeshare, we found a couple of eateries that we look forward to revisiting. We mostly like casual food and great beer. But it is convenient that there are some choices on the property. Is the parking assigned by unit? I am getting so ready for a vacation. It sounds as if some of you must already be retired. This will really get fun when we are also.

Lee Ann

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were down last summer for the Hook/Line/Sinker, lol, where we finally bought a timeshare, we found a couple of eateries that we look forward to revisiting. We mostly like casual food and great beer. But it is convenient that there are some choices on the property. Is the parking assigned by unit? I am getting so ready for a vacation. It sounds as if some of you must already be retired. This will really get fun when we are also.

Lee Ann

No parking assignments. Negotiate the tight garage and select your own parking space. Watch for oncoming vehicles when driving in or driving out (be sure to always keep to the right). More available spaces available the higher you go.

Have fun.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Quilter, it's a small world as I'm on the 18th floor. You're absolutely right about the large pantry, it's a dream come true. That said, the two ocean front corners do not have this pantry and open storage space is extremely limited. But everyone else in all of the other units does indeed have a very user friendly kitchen.

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the real ownership make up in terms of kids etc. Presently there's a smallish owner base this week and the bulk are traders or preview folks . . . and there are lots of kids this week as compared to our visit 3 weeks ago.

And yes, the kiddie pool falls into shadow for a good chunk of the day ( it's our first experience with a true hi-rise building where you really notice the shade -- though Pompano pool at Ocean Pointe goes into shadow, but you don't feel it as much with the expansive campus). We've had sort of the same thought about the compact pool deck when 'Sunset' building comes into being. There's plenty of chairs for all, but shade on those cool winter days is going to create competition for sun seats. The summer as you note will not be a problem. Lots of people on the beach however and plenty of room out there.

Looking forward to tomorrow when the hot dog cart is suppossed to come out. BTW have you made it over to Johnny Longboats yet? Their re-opening in the new Mall really gives them a big boost in space and atmosphere.

Enjoy your stay.

Barry

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Casual dining options:

Duffys - closest in Palm Beach Gardens, just a bit down the road from Publix. Mon nights, all entrees $9.95
For "beachier" feel, head to Kathy's in Juno Beach. If you go for breakfast, go for potato souffle. At lunch, the cruncy grouper wrap is a must!

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quilter, it's a small world as I'm on the 18th floor. You're absolutely right about the large pantry, it's a dream come true. That said, the two ocean front corners do not have this pantry and open storage space is extremely limited. But everyone else in all of the other units does indeed have a very user friendly kitchen.

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the real ownership make up in terms of kids etc. Presently there's a smallish owner base this week and the bulk are traders or preview folks . . . and there are lots of kids this week as compared to our visit 3 weeks ago.

And yes, the kiddie pool falls into shadow for a good chunk of the day ( it's our first experience with a true hi-rise building where you really notice the shade -- though Pompano pool at Ocean Pointe goes into shadow, but you don't feel it as much with the expansive campus). We've had sort of the same thought about the compact pool deck when 'Sunset' building comes into being. There's plenty of chairs for all, but shade on those cool winter days is going to create competition for sun seats. The summer as you note will not be a problem. Lots of people on the beach however and plenty of room out there.

Looking forward to tomorrow when the hot dog cart is suppossed to come out. BTW have you made it over to Johnny Longboats yet? Their re-opening in the new Mall really gives them a big boost in space and atmosphere.

Enjoy your stay.

Barry

I looked for your feet around the pool but couldn't place them. :D

We're in 1803 with the extended balcony. During the storm Sunday night the thing that bothered me most was watching the young people in the pool to the condo next door defy the lightning. They would get out of the pool, run to the bathhouse and then run back out again and dive back in the pool. They didn't seem to know if they wanted to live or die. I wanted to enjoy watching the storm but worrying about them drove me bananas.

Maybe in October and January the Adult pool will mainly be adults. I doubt it will last. The sign should just be repainted to say lap pool. I did note the first rule on the sign is that no animals are allowed in pools or on pool deck. What about service animals? Can a blind person bring his/her dog?

There's a sign on the beach gate welcoming the public but saying the pool deck is reserved for guests only. How will that be monitored? I've seen one guy circling the pool as though he's some sort of security but he does nothing more than straighten chairs and wash the pool deck. Nothing is said to guests in hot tubs with beer cans, kids in hot tub with their bucket of french fries (I heard that family say they bought), smoking by the pool, ball playing, flotation thingies in the pool, water guns in the pool. All this is in the adult pool. I'm not taking a stand on whether it's right or wrong. I'm just reporting what I've observed. We don't own here and I'm just a guest.

Yes, we got to Johnny Longboats this year. Twice while staying at OP. It's the first time I've ever eaten there as I always thought the old one was quite the dive. I'm hooked on their grouper in a bag. Looking forward to Portofino's getting in their new digs. It's sad to see JL's getting all the business and no one patronizing Portofino's. They said it could be a couple months before they move.

Yesterday we walked up the beach past the hotel. On the way back we stopped at the hotel. They now allow room charges at their restaurants to be put on your room at Oceana. I forgot to ask about OP. When my daughter was here she and I had a day at their spa. Ahhhhh. . .

Tomorrow we may leave and drive to Hilton Head. Our check out isn't until Saturday so we may stay another day. Decisions, decisions.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
I looked for your feet around the pool but couldn't place them.

To find those feet you gotta look on the beach ;)

Maybe in October and January the Adult pool will mainly be adults. I doubt it will last. The sign should just be repainted to say lap pool.

Yeah at this stage they are still feeling things out in terms of what will be what. Given the property's small footprint, I think that it's going to be essential to deliniate some pool rules and they're gonna have to push the little kids to the other side and restrict the ball tossing etc. going on at the moment. I'd anticipate some push-back from aggrieved owners who feel their rights are infringed, but space is finite here and rules are gonna be essential for folks to create their own vacation experience. Another area I've noticed is the little kids (3-6 yrs ) in the hot tubs with mom and dad. Hot tubs are physiologically dangerous for little people. But I'm not a hot tub guy so I leave that for others to figure out.

I think that the pet sign derives from the fact that this resort is open to the public as Riveria Beach required open property access. They don't want a kick back local to show up with their retriever or little terrier. Marriott is being careful about this public access thing as they don't want spring breakers showing up. At present, they close the bar at 9PM which in truth is a bit early given that folks dine out and begin to wander home 'round about that time and would like a drink, but I suspect it is a desire not to have this resort on too many peoples' drinking lists which drives this cautious approach. I think they should follow Ocean Pointe's lead and simply close promptly at 10PM as that approach better reflects the personna of a beach resort.

Our check out isn't until Saturday so we may stay another day. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah MVC certainly creates a lot of 'tough' decisions for we timeshare folks doesn't it. Have a safe drive and enjoy your weeks.

Barry

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the detailed information. How does the fitness center compare to the main one at Ocean Pointe? Is Max and Eddie's still there and has the service improved? I previously enjoyed dinner there on a regular basis, but have limited my last few visits to pizza to go due to service inconsistencies.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't eat at Max and Eddies so can't answer that. It looks like that corner of the neighborhood is trying to spruce up a bit. The Sands Hotel is getting a paint job to copy the colors of the Ocean Mall. Curtains still hang out the window though. There is a new vega/yoga place going up on the corner by M&E. We went to a pre-grand opening for samples. They were good but it hasn't officially opened yet. We asked when walking by and they said they're looking for a manager. Grator Gator is getting a paint job.

The fitness center at Oceana is nice, considering it's temporary. Permanent one comes later. They have used a full suite. Good ventilation and bathrooms with showers. Much better than the temporary one OP had before the main one was built by Pompano.

I'm heading there now.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that Oceana Palms is open to the public? I think I have misunderstood. No key or code required to gain access the way it is @ Ocean Pointe? And, anybody wandering up from the beach can use the pools/hot tubs?

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that Ocean Palms is open to the public? I think I have misunderstood. No key or code required to gain access the way it is @ Ocean Pointe? And, anybody wandering up from the beach can use the pools/hot tubs?

Oceana Palms is open to the public, in fact they encourage the public to come in off the beach to patronize Reflections (their bar/restaurant), and to take a sales tour. This is the main reason why Oceana Palms accepts cash, while Ocean Pointe does not.

Oceana Palms does not want any outsiders to use the pools or hot tubs, however I do not know how they are able police that particular issue.

Currently, Oceana Palms is in negotiations with the Marriott Singer Island Spa & Resort to allow the Oceana Palms owners/guests to use the facilities
over at that Marriott Spa & Resort. Chances are they'll strike a deal as long as there are Villas available to be sold (a nice perk for buyers buying into Oceana Palms).

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, Oceana Palms must be pretty desperate if they are trying to attract people from the beach to buy timeshares! "Oh, let's go for a walk on the beach & buy a timeshare."

I would not feel secure at all staying @ Oceana Palms knowing that people cld wander onto the property from the beach. It is inconsistent with Marriott's policy @ Ocean Pointe where access to the property is tightly controlled. I really don't understand how Marriott's security policies could vary so much from one property to the next. And, as mentioned, how do you keep the public from using the facilities @ Oceana Palms?

Smooth Air:cool:

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Oceana Palms has a full service restaurant. This restaurant would undoubtedly fail if they did not permit walk-ins to the property. We were told that this is thy Ocean Pointe doesn't have a restaurant, they didn't want to permit walk-ins. There just wouldn't be enough traffic from just owners to make them work.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oceana Palms has a full service restaurant. This restaurant would undoubtedly fail if they did not permit walk-ins to the property. We were told that this is thy Ocean Pointe doesn't have a restaurant, they didn't want to permit walk-ins. There just wouldn't be enough traffic from just owners to make them work.

By full service you mean they wait on you and bring you your food. This does not mean it is done in a timely fashion. The "service" at Oceana is relative to the crowd. The amount of servers stayed the same. The amount of guests varies.
:(

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Well, Oceana Palms must be pretty desperate if they are trying to attract people from the beach to buy timeshares! "Oh, let's go for a walk on the beach & buy a timeshare."

Not such a smooth argument as it misses the point entirely.

As to the real facts and what Marriott is all about here: the city of Riveria Beach requires Oceana Palms to provide public access to the resort restaurant as a condition of granting the resort a license to operate an on-site restaurant. Pretty simple stuff. Marriott's solution to this situation is concise, well conceived and flexible. The public may indeed gain resort access to use the restaurant only. They may not utilize any of the other resort facilities ( things like the pools, hot tubs, pool deck chairs, other sitting areas adjoing the pools etc. ). Likewise the public may not utilize the lounge chairs on the beach ( which are free to use for guests/owners ) nor may they use/occupy any of the resort-designated cabanas which are rented by the same beach concession which runs Ocean Pointe's beach. There are however several cabanas at the south side of the cabana queue which are set aside for public use.

Security is well thought out. Security's job here is a bit easier because of the smaller resort footprint and careful positioning of security cameras. The resort has exactly one gate which accesses the beach. The public will either enter via this gate ( most likely asking the beach concession guy for access ) or they will enter via the main lobby. Incidently, the elevators will not operate going up without inserting a room key into the button panel inside of the elevator car. Just like Ocean Pointe and every other MVC resort, towels are color coded so folks who do not belong will be ferreted out in due time. The biggest problem at the pools remains kids or ( drunk ) adults peeing in the pools or hot tubs, just like any other MVC resort :eek:

The more practical matter here is that Marriott does not want throngs of people flocking to the restaurant and bumping owners/guests out of tables etc. But the immediate area is one of condos, so the kind of folks who come to the resort will not typically be beach bums or National Lampoon summer vacation folks. The Hilton up the beach has the Coconuts bar which aims for that crowd and most people flock to Ocean Mall and places like Johnny Longboats. Additionally, Marriott retains the Ritz-like atmosphere by pricing the food and drinks at appropriate levels. In three weeks, we see only smatterings of outsiders, most usually in the evening. The mayor of Riveria Beach comes by on occassion along with some other very nice folks and we've had some nice conversations with some very interesting folks. So Marriott has a good handle on things here as they adapt to the situation on the ground and maintain good control of their resort. And let's face it, every newly opened MVC resort is likely to run their restaurant at a loss until more owners come on board and the resort builds momentum to serve them and develop product and revenues for Marriott. In Oceana Palm's case, Marriott has chosen very carefully the general manager and every other department head, particularly the F&B manager. MVC is not about to allow this or any other MVC resort to run aground.

Barry

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry, I understand the politics here. You do not have to insult me! I was simply referring to a comment made in a prior post where somebody had indicated that Oceana Palms is encouraging public access from the beach so that people will take the sales tour.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Please provide UPDATE on OCEAN MALL shops/restaurants

For all you luck TUGGERS at Oceana Palms or Ocean Pointe ...

can you provide an update as to the status of the Ocean Mall Refurbishment?

It's been over a year since we have been to Ocean Pointe. At that time most of the shops had moved out and the area was desolate....I believe one or two of the restaurants were still open... but the area was not very inviting.

From these posts it's obvious that OCEANA Palms has changed dramatically.... can the same be said for the Ocean Mall shops/restaurants? ... pictures?:wave:

Thanks!

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were @ Ocean Pointe in February, 2010 construction was still ongoing. Maybe somebody who is there now can give us an update. Any new stores/restaurants open?

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having an on site restaurant that is open to the public is not unusual for a timeshare. Crystal Shores restaurant on Marco Island is open to the public and so is Nick's at MGV. Both of them are in separate buildings and access to the timeshare units is controlled. Nick's at MGV is outside the security gate with a separate parking lot. That minimizes problems.

There are many examples of where the public has access to the common areas of a timeshare. Many timeshares deny public usage of their facilities but policing it can be a problem. That's one of the arguments against issuing "day passes", which some MVCI owners would like to have. I believe that Hilton has a day pass program.

One thing in common with many property owners in Florida is the notion of a "private beach". In Florida, there is no such thing. The public has a right to be on just about any ocean or Gulf front beach. Property owners can deny access to the beach through their property, however. The biggest complaint that I hear about beach goers is their attempt to use the restrooms on private property. That may be a bigger security issue than someone using the restaurant.

Almost all condos have restrooms located near the pool. Several MVCI resorts have what seems to be tightly controlled access to their property but not many systems are 100% effective. The fact is that if you're a guest at a beach front timeshare you can't assume that everyone on the property is also a guest. I think that Ocean Point probably does about as much as anyone can do to control the security problems. My observation is that in spite of their efforts they still have a few outsiders entering the property to listen to the live music at the pool bar.

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
Barry, I understand the politics here. You do not have to insult me!

No insult intended, so please don't take it that way. I was however responding to remarks in a couple of your posts as well as other posters who suggest that something is amiss with public sales, public access, and a public restauarnt at Oceana Palms. In re-reading my post, I can see that this may not have been very clear. Don't feel that I try to specifically put you in the bulls eye -- I can't see that well to shoot straight ;) .

I simply seek to seperate inuendo/supposition from what is and is not happening at this or any other MVC resort. It's a great time to trade into or visit Oceana Palms before the building fills with owners and access becomes difficult again ( another respite will occur when the second tower is completed and more inventory exists ).

So no, there is no sales desperation at Oceana Palms and strangers are not spreading across the pool deck or spilling out of the restaurant like those Vikings in the Capitol One commercial. I just want folks to realize that between now and next year, this is the best time to trade here and you don't want to miss this chance. The resort is in good hands and everything is under control. Don't miss a chance to see it for yourself whiles trades are still easier as in time, this resort will fill up and owners will likely tend to occupy their weeks.

Barry