• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$15,000 for 2BR Platinum Oceanview @ Ocean Pointe? Is this a good price?

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing that the resale market is at rock bottom.
Is $15,000 a good price for a 2BR Platinum Oceanview week (not Oceanfront) @ Marriott Ocean Pointe, Palm Beach Shores, Florida?

Smooth Air:cool:

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is $15,000 a good price for a 2BR Platinum Oceanview week (not Oceanfront) @ Marriott Ocean Pointe, Palm Beach Shores, Florida?

No. Price should be around $5-6K.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
$5-$6???? I have not seen anything that low for Platinum @ Ocean Pointe! Or, any season @ OP for that matter.
Where did you see those numbers?

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Ocean Pointe is one of my favorite resorts. Before the crash $20K was a fair price for platinum oceanside. During the crash the lowest I ever saw one go for on ebay was about $10K and I don't know if it actually closed... and I only saw this once! Therefore you will likely pay somewhere between $10-20K for ocean pointe.

Bottom line .. If you have the money and really want it $15K seems like a reasonably good deal to me .. of course there are lots of good deals out there for those that have the money... it's all about choices? and how much longer will Marriott quit exercising ROFR?

Good Luck!

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read posts all the time from people who throw out prices that are absurdly low and say you can get the unit you want for that price. Of course I never see them post actual sightings of these wonderful deals that you should be able to get.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ebay sales history for Ocean Pointe

Looking at the ebay sales logged here on TUG, 3 Oceanside Platinums sold in the $13.1k to $15.1k range in Sept/Oct '09 (Don't know the quality of the sellers, though.)

Two Golds went for $4.4k to $5.3k in December '09.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

This is what one should expect to pay for Grande Vista, not Ocean Pointe. Ocean Pointe demands a much higher resale price than MGV.

MikeZ

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think it IS a good price. The best price I can verify happening on the Oceanview Platinum is 11,000 about a year ago. A reputable broker called me with the offer, and by the time I had made my decision later in the day, it was gone...

I have seen them occasionally on ebay, and other than the previously mentioned ones, have not seen one under 15K.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure prices are truly at rock bottom. IMO, if you put an effort and time into it, you can get if for less, but not a LOT less. Heck, you might be able to get this for less with an offer. Personally I would not give that much right now unless I were set on OP or it were an OF unit which is unlikely to get for that price. But it partly depends on how set you are on this resort.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do your homework and you'll get it

If you just want to buy quickly then $15K is a price most any owner selling would gladly take. But it is not a "great" or even good price. Hang in there, make offers and you should get the week for somewhere between $8-$11 K tops. It won't be your first try and you may be shopping for 3-6 months, but prices are on the down slide, not up or even holding. It all depends on how patient you are. Holding out will pay well in the long run as purchase price really means little now days as it's annual fees that represent the true cost of any timeshare.

When (if) you go to sell the week a few years down the road the likelihood is you won't see 50% of your "great" price of today. Of course it COULD go the other way and you actually get more on a resale, but the odds and history says you'll have to accept far less. Buy as low as possible to use and assume no resale value to be safe. Then anything you get after you're done with it will be pure gravy. $15K is way too much unless yo absolutely feel you have to have an ownership there NOW and nothing else will make you happy.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida real estate prices

If it is relevent, (I'm not sure it is.) the real estate values in Florida are projected to drop another 10% in the coming year. So say some of the county property assessors around the state. Our county is already preparing for the predicted drop in assessed valuation by cutting budgets. The state budget which is more affected by sales taxes is also a mess.

Realtors are busy putting out press releases that say the market is getting better in spite of news to the contrary. They have misled the public often in the past and I wouldn't be fooled by their PR this time either. I've heard timeshare sales staff at Lakeshore Reserve say something similar. They said that Phase I of the project was sold out for this year and that there was a lot of interest in purchasing.

Timeshare prices have already cratered but may continue to follow the down-trend in the Florida real estate market. There are also loads of developer-owned golf courses that are in deep financial trouble. Marriott owns several golf courses in Florida.

Since the Florida economy has not bottomed yet I don't think prices at OP will increase any time soon. OP prices may in fact be headed lower. (Our unemployment rate is over 12% this month) It might be wise to wait for lower prices.

The bad timeshare market may also give crediblity to the idea that ROFR did have an impact on stabilizing prices when it was used. However, even Marriott doesn't have enough money to prop up this market.

Last edited:

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple listed for slightly lower, but would say $15,000 is not a bad price for platinum Ocean Pointe. A lot depends on the other details such as closing costs and reputation of the seller/broker you are working with (if not a private sale).

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I would second the opinions that 15k is not a horrible price, and at best is on the very upper end of being a "good" price. I would agree that you probably would not get that price back on resale - at least not quickly.

As others have mentioned patience is the key.

I would set up a on-going search on e-bay for that resort, and let it run for a couple of months.

In the interim I would start to make offers on the other weeks I see on the various timeshare websites. Just to use one as an example (granted a horrible choice), on the SellMyTimeShareNow there currently are 109 units at the OceanPointe listed. The lowest Platinum week is at 18.5k. I would start in the 11k range and start making offers.

If I had an immediate need (say for late this year or early next), then I would arrange a rental for that period. I think it is very likely that by doing a patience search you would be very likely to save more than the delta between the annual m/f at Oceane Point and the the cost of renting a week.

Or, if that sounds like too much work - then I would just take the current deal. JMHO.

EDIT: I do notice that we have all assumed you are looking to buy. But since you list Ocean Pointe in your profile already, it is entirely likely you are actually looking to sell. In that case, 15k sounds like very good price on the sell side.

Last edited:

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW

There are needles...then there are needles in haystacks. Finding an OP platinum for 5-6K is like trying to find a needle in the Superdome!
15K for OP is very reasonable. I wouldn't consider selling any of mine for that price and I'd buy all I could get at 5-6K...but its not gonna happen.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Top end price - won't last. No rush if you're willing to pay that

There are needles...then there are needles in haystacks. Finding an OP platinum for 5-6K is like trying to find a needle in the Superdome!
15K for OP is very reasonable. I wouldn't consider selling any of mine for that price and I'd buy all I could get at 5-6K...but its not gonna happen.

$5-6K is too low (right now - but it cold be happening at some point in the future depending on many unpredictable factors and how they fall) but $15K is the top of the tops. Again as a seller they should grab $15K in a heartbeat as few, if any, are likely to sell at that level anymore. As a buyer realize it is no deal but top price being paid. Always a risky thing if you want it back later. Take the time to shop and if in fact you can't track down a sale for that level there will be plenty at $15k to choose from.

As stated the market would seem to fall between $9-11K right now with a little effort on the buyers part. It may hold there for awhile or continue to fall but is not at all likely to rise anytime soon. Of course there may be deals already in place for higher numbers and asking prices will be above those figures but actual sales made now will probably fall in the range of $12K or less.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion. I choose a more positive outlook and really see nothing to support the fact that OP values will, or could fall to the 9-11K range.
There are very few if any resorts that compare with OP on the eastern coast of Florida.
Granted nothing is impossible but if a jewel like OP ever sunk that low, what would the remainder of the market be worth? I shudder to think.
Mike

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It isn't real estate. Its a bastardized product without real demand

I guess we're all entitled to our own opinion. I choose a more positive outlook and really see nothing to support the fact that OP values will, or could fall to the 9-11K range.
There are very few if any resorts that compare with OP on the eastern coast of Florida.
Granted nothing is impossible but if a jewel like OP ever sunk that low, what would the remainder of the market be worth? I shudder to think.
Mike

The whole issue with the timeshare market is that it has no relationship to what it appears to be - real estate. The fact that a resort has a great location, may be beautifully designed and maintained, has high end features and much more - which would make it worth plenty and most likely a candidate for appreciation in a true real estate market - holds almost no power to influence pricing as a timeshare.

Why? Because every timeshare carries limitations of ownership, use and resale that shackle its value far below what it would cost if it were whole ownership. Plus it is tied to a different form of operation that effectively ties owners to high fees they are obligated to pay but have virtually no control over with so many owners involved.

So while it should make sense that a modern, well maintained resort in a prime location should carry a resale value far higher than a run of the mill, standard maybe inland located one in the majority of cases they are effectively lumped together as a generic, not so complementary, "timeshare". To some degree it is understandable as the factors above - high annual costs, low control, developer games with resales - work against good resale value. Combined with the fragmented nature of timeshare resale, the scams that are so prevalent and a week that someone paid $35K for a year ago resells at market for $9-15K even as some uninformed owner paid a corrupt group $3900 "to be rid of my timeshare". All for the same use rights/week.

Some locations and resorts have more value than others but none are gaining, most are losing and the bottom is nowhere in sight. I really wish there was a relationship between the quality/location of resorts and what they resell for but the cold hard truth is no matter what is paid, what work is done and how well respected the property may be it competes in a totally oversold world where supply outnumbers buyers about 100 to 1 or worse. In that environment, as well as the overall deflated economy, no resort or group is able to hold value. Thats just the way it is. Buy right on resale, hope for value for your annual fees, hope you can sell it without too much trouble when you need to is about all you can hope for in timeshare. It is NOT real estate it is vacation purchase. The prices and lack of resale values reflect that undeniable fact.

Last edited: