• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Hilton Head Beaches and Sand Umbrellas

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If you've tried to give yourself a little bit of shade on the beach in Hilton Head then you know what happens - the umbrella just will not stay put in that hard-packed sand no matter how deep you put it. We've been through a few cheap anchors that were useless so I'm searching around for a new one. Can anybody recommend one of these from amazon.com, or something entirely different?

Sand Anchor for Umbrellas - White Color

Sand Anchor for Beach Umbrella

Sand Anchor / Holder for Beach Umbrellas

thanks,

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
We have been going to Hilton Head Island for the past 13 years, we have always used the umbrella anchor/sand auger purchased from Walmart, it is metal and has more "cork screws" than the ones you have listed, it does get a little rusty but still continues to work. It is less than $15 (we have only replaced it once). Good Luck, the umbrella from Sam's Club or Costco are great! We love Hilton Head!

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
We, too, have used the umbrella anchor/sand auger purchased from Walmart for about 10 or more years..in fact, we have 2 of them. I think we paid $10 originally when we bought them in FL, where we lived at the time. We have taken them to multi beaches in FL, SC, etc and have never had a problem with them keeping the umbrella in place unless you might be in a hurricane. However, we have seen at multi beaches, people who use cordless drills with large bits to drill into the sand...that might work too.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have been going to Hilton Head Island for the past 13 years, we have always used the umbrella anchor/sand auger purchased from Walmart, it is metal and has more "cork screws" than the ones you have listed, it does get a little rusty but still continues to work. It is less than $15 (we have only replaced it once). Good Luck, the umbrella from Sam's Club or Costco are great! We love Hilton Head!

We, too, have used the umbrella anchor/sand auger purchased from Walmart for about 10 or more years..in fact, we have 2 of them. I think we paid $10 originally when we bought them in FL, where we lived at the time. We have taken them to multi beaches in FL, SC, etc and have never had a problem with them keeping the umbrella in place unless you might be in a hurricane. However, we have seen at multi beaches, people who use cordless drills with large bits to drill into the sand...that might work too.

Thanks for responding. I didn't find one with a search for "beach umbrella" at walmart.com, but this one comes up at amazon.com. Is this what you mean? We make a stop at Walmart so it would be easy enough to look for it when we get there.

Cordless drills?!?! That thought would never occur to me!

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got it! I forgot it's called a sandgrabber....we bought ours (2) at a Walmart in FL but I'm sure they have them here in Hardeeville too. Good luck and have fun. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow and will check to see if they have them here and will post tomorrow. Linda

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan, I stopped at Walmart in Hardeville this a.m. and they have an ample supply of sandgrabbers for $10 and a cheaper, plastic version for $6.

The only places I have seen the cordless drill used have been at beaches where concessions have mucho chairs & umbrellas for rent and they need to get them up in a hurry every a.m. It works great.

Linda

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Susan, I stopped at Walmart in Hardeville this a.m. and they have an ample supply of sandgrabbers for $10 and a cheaper, plastic version for $6.

The only places I have seen the cordless drill used have been at beaches where concessions have mucho chairs & umbrellas for rent and they need to get them up in a hurry every a.m. It works great.

Linda

Linda,

Does this appear to be an item sold only at WalMart stores near a beach?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone tried this sand anchor that come with a little table???

umbrella_table.jpg

Man, some folks' minds come up with the simplest but best ideas, don't they? I love that table thing! I also love the hook thing on the bottom of that page, just slip it onto the umbrella pole and hang your towels, bags ... Absolutely brilliant.

mschwiebert

Reaction score
Beach Umbrella Holder

I don't know if you guys have found a quality beach umbrella holder yet, but here is an American made beach umbrella holder that is commercial grade. It will last a lifetime. They have tables that attach to the top too. Beach Umbrella Holder

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
ABSOLUTE BEST is a large solid-color dark Kelly green umbrella (with wooden pole in two screw-together pieces) sold at various stores like Big Lots. about $39 but varies store to store. Some $59, some $39. The multi-colored one in posted picture in this thread, with all due respect, is inadequate. It will not be substantial enough in bursts of wind. We had one, didn't hold up. Got two green ones and everybody that sees them wants one.

The hard packed sand is actually an ASSET, not a liability. Get the pointed metal "digging" pole from the lifeguard (they all have one) and use it to poke straight down into sand about a foot or more, and your umbrella won't move an inch. Worth the search. marty(jme)

p.s. the current green umbrella on the Target website is NOT the one we got. They did carry our brand at one time, but not anymore, i just found out....Big Lots still does, if in stock. That one on Target looks very spindly and isn't the same----my wife said so, so I believe her.

Last edited:

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys have found a quality beach umbrella holder yet, but here is an American made beach umbrella holder that is commercial grade.

Here is the newest (and what looks to be a better mousetrap) umbrella anchor invented on the Carolina Beaches.

http://www.mikesspikes.com/main.sc