• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Trade/Rental Advice

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Hi, I am looking for some advice. I own at Maui and in 2009 we had planned to go over Thanksgiving but now we have a conflict. I am now thinking of going week 52 December 26, 2009 to January 2, 2010.

I obviously do not have access to reserve for weeks 51 & 52. I am not comfortable depositing and now getting what I want. Is there a way to find possible trades directly with another owner or am I better off reserving a summer week, like 4th of July, renting it out and then renting from a week 52 owner for the time I desire? I also saw that the high demand weeks are 5, 31, 51, and 52. What is week 31? I had assumed 4th of July would be high demand but according to II week 31 is higher.

Thanks for your advice in advance,

Jim

Last edited:

Syed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, Hyatt, Hilton and Club Donatello
Maui Trade and Rental Advice

Week 52 is the highest demand week in Maui and very quite hard to find on the rental market.Week 31 is early August which is a high demand week . 4th of July week is also sought after,but not as high as the August week,as the II representative informed you.Week 7 is also a very high demand week.All these weeks are higher demand than Thanksgiving week. Best wishes on your search!
Syed

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Can we really believe II

I too am wondering why is week 31 (August) a higher demand week than July4 in Maui... is there a local event or some international holiday? Also is this true for Oahu, Kauai, and The Big Island or only Maui?

I often wished Marriott or II put a travel/demand index for only their properties. If they do I would love to see it. I have to believe the Marriott index would be substantially different than the II index which includes all resorts. For example, according to II ..Orlando has a greater or equal demand index as Hawaii for weeks 8-17. I gotta believe I got a better chance getting into one of the Marirott's in Orlando compared to one of the Marriott's in Hawaii during Presidents week and spring break!

I am trying to book & trade several weeks in Hawaii for summer of 2009 and thought August would be lower demand and therefiore, would be easier for us to get a trade... now I am starting to question my logic especially if week 31 is high demand. ...

:shrug: I gotta wonder...l can I really believe these II indices for Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges!

auntdef

TUG Member
Reaction score
The past three trips to Hawaii for us have been the last 2 weeks in August. My daughter's school doesn't end until 3rd week in June, sometimes she has a week off before camp starts, some years not. Since she goes to camp for eight weeks, the most convienent time for us to go to Hawaii (for 2 weeks) is just before school starts (usually the Wednesday after Labor day).

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...Orlando has a greater or equal demand index as Hawaii for weeks 8-17. I gotta believe I got a better chance getting into one of the Marirott's in Orlando compared to one of the Marriott's in Hawaii during Presidents week and spring break!

I am trying to book & trade several weeks in Hawaii for summer of 2009 and thought August would be lower demand and therefiore, would be easier for us to get a trade... now I am starting to question my logic especially if week 31 is high demand....

II's travel index is based on each area individually. If the chart shows Orlando being higher during certain weeks than Maui, it doesn't mean that Orlando has higher demand than Maui during those weeks.

Weeks 8-17 have above than average Central Florida (Orlando) demand, while weeks 8-17 have about average Hawaiian Islands demand. The overall demand in the Hawaiian Islands during that time may possibly be much higher than Orlando - or not. That part we may never know. :shrug:

pharmgirl

Reaction score
II's travel index is based on each area individually. If the chart shows Orlando being higher during certain weeks than Maui, it doesn't mean that Orlando has higher demand than Maui during those weeks.

Weeks 8-17 have above than average Central Florida (Orlando) demand, while weeks 8-17 have about average Hawaiian Islands demand. The overall demand in the Hawaiian Islands during that time may possibly be much higher than Orlando - or not. That part we may never know. :shrug:

Where did you find the info on these weeks?

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
II ranking

THine3:

I thought II's travel index ranking indicates the relative supply and demand for a region, i.e a ranking of 100 means the supply essentially equals the demand in that region. Whereas, a ranking of 150 means there is a demand about 50% greater than the supply and therefore; very difficult to trade into during that time.

Using this same line of logic, one would expect if I was trading my week with a travel index of 150, I would have higher trading power than another requester with a ranking of 100 (everything else being equal). Using the II data for weeks 8-17 one would conclude that Orlando has equal or greater trading power than Hawaii or siimilarly , indicating it is easier to exchange into HI than Orlando during weeks 8-17.

THis does'nt make any sense ...please educate how to interpret these rankings ...

... if you can't use the rankings to compare across regions then their only use is to pick a week to reserve in your home resort to maximize trading power???...

Also it got me thinking that a travel demand index ranking for Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges could be substantially different than the II ranking containing all the resorts in the region. Hawaii would be an excellent example where there are tons of timeshares but only a handful of Marriott properties...???

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
THine3:

I thought II's travel index ranking indicates the relative supply and demand for a region, i.e a ranking of 100 means the supply essentially equals the demand in that region. Whereas, a ranking of 150 means there is a demand about 50% greater than the supply and therefore; very difficult to trade into during that time.

Using this same line of logic, one would expect if I was trading my week with a travel index of 150, I would have higher trading power than another requester with a ranking of 100 (everything else being equal). Using the II data for weeks 8-17 one would conclude that Orlando has equal or greater trading power than Hawaii or siimilarly , indicating it is easier to exchange into HI than Orlando during weeks 8-17.

I think you understand it correctly except for the fact that a 100 rating at a region like Hawaii may be a more difficult trade than 100 rating at region like Orlando. Similarly, the 100 rating in Hawaii may have more trading power than a 100 rating in Orlando.

THis does'nt make any sense ...please educate how to interpret these rankings ...

... if you can't use the rankings to compare across regions then their only use is to pick a week to reserve in your home resort to maximize trading power???...

This may be true. It can also tell you the best time of year to have the easiest access (trading into) to a particular area.

Also it got me thinking that a travel demand index ranking for Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges could be substantially different than the II ranking containing all the resorts in the region. Hawaii would be an excellent example where there are tons of timeshares but only a handful of Marriott properties...???

Without question, II's ratings and rankings change from resort to resort. Typically Marriott's will be rated highly in their respective regions.

IMO

Where did you find the info on these weeks?

There are charts in the II Resort Directory on the first two pages of each region.

:D

pharmgirl

Reaction score
[

There are charts in the II Resort Directory on the first two pages of each region.

Thanks, just looked up hawaii and was very surprised that the first week in August was one of the highest demand weeks, similar to last 2 weeks of year

Any one have an idea why this is so? maybe I will try to rent that week instead of July 4th week or Pres week in 2009

Last edited:

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Pharmgirl, That is a great question. I too was planning on 4th of July to rent or trade but now I am thinking the first week of August. No idea why that is higher demand.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe or maybe not .?.?

Week 52 is the highest demand week in Maui and very quite hard to find on the rental market......Syed

Interesting that II is offereing AC's for every week in 2008 but weeks 51 & 52 at Marriott's Waiohai. If those weeks were very highly demanded, then you would think that they would be offered AC's - but then again who knows. :shrug: