• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are your favorite buildings at Surf Watch?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm checking in to Surf Watch on 4/4. We're exchangers and will probably get the back gardenview buildings but I'd still like to ask what some of the favorites are.

What's the situation with tennis courts?

Are there bicycle rentals similar to Grande Ocean ($25 for the week)?

It's our first time trying this resort. I've looked it over a couple times while staying at GO. I'd be glad to hear anything else you find special about the resort.

Thanks,
Suzzanne

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Ocean Marsh bldg by pool

The Ocean Marsh bldg by the main pool has some Garden view Villas. It was the first bldg built and is therefore the oldest but it is great if you want to be located central to Surfwatch amenities.

Tennis courts are located in the Burkes Beach Park, but are ope to everyoneand are first come first served.

I believe bikes are available but have never used them so I cannot guarantee.

The best part about Surfwatch is the beach...you have it all to yourself. The ocean side pool is great too but better suited for older kids and adults as it is much deeper than the typical 3-4' of the main pool.

Last edited:

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I have never stayed there, I have visited the campus many times. I have always imagined the best buildings are the 2 Oceanside buildings. The Ocean Vista seemed to me to be inclined toward mosquitos since the bushes are so close and the marsh is also close. The Garden villas are far into the back. Didn't know some of the villas were considered "garden" in the Oceanside building. Rudy, do you know why that is?

Beverley

fsoria

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Suzanne

I am typing this from Surfwatch "Tidemark" watching American Idol. The internet connection is excellent. The bikes are $25 a week. There is one building that is Oceanfront "Oceandunes" very nice. Surfwatch is in a quiet area of HHI. The garden villas in the back have about a 10-12 minute walk to the beach.

It appears that the units at Surfwatch are similar to those at Grand Ocean and Barony Beach. Biking paths do not appear to be as frequent or nice as in Sea Pines, although you can ride on the beach. You should have great time here and it should be very quiet.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
fsoria, thank you very much for taking the time during your vacation to respond. I appreciate it.

Suzzanne

laxmom

Reaction score
You never know! We used an AC for a 3 bedroom in offseason and ended up in the oceanfront building. What a pleasant surprise!

There were a lot of tennis courts in Burkes Beach Park...lighted.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surfwatch is my favorite Marriott resort on Hilton Head Island. I have also stayed at Grande Ocean and Barony (both a few times, once oceanfront with a fabulous view at GO). Although I liked them both very much, I like the quiet atmosphere at Surfwatch. I also like that part of the island and beach very much (near Port Royal area). Like someone said, you kind of have the beach to yourself. You have the park on one side, and a very small residential community right atound SW.

I love the 'boardwalk' to the ocean. Being from NJ, it gives it more of a "down the shore" feel to me. Also, they run golf carts back and forth and will take you anywhere on the property. Just wait at the ocean gate for one, or ask them to call for one at the bar, if it's open. I have also called to be picked up from the marketplace and taken to the ocean vista building. They are very accomadating if you don't feel like walking the distance. However, unless you have a lot of stuff to carry, it is a very nice walk. The carts ran a lot at Christmas and constantly in the summer.

I have never swum in the indoor pool but it is beautiful. Even at Christmas, we swam in the main outdoor pool. It was heated very nicely. (I like the water warm.) If you work out, the locker room at SW is 'to die for'. In addition, besides tennis courts, there are soccer fields and basketball courts at the park next door. SW has any equipment you might need - just ask at the front desk - no charge.

We stayed in the oceanside building (the one closest to the ocean vista building) last Christmas. We were on the 5th floor and had a great view overlooking the pool and looking out to sea. We had exchanged in and I had requested something high floor with a view of the water. I wasn't disappointed. I spent every morning on the balcony with my laptop and cup of tea, surfing the net and viewing the ocean. I also stayed there with my sister this past August. She had traded her 1 BR OP Silver week. We were put in the ocean vista building. (She had requested it.) We were on the 3rd floor and had a very nice view - could see the ocean very nicely over the marshes. We sat out on the balcony all week and I NEVER noticed a problem with the mosquitos (and I'm always the one to get bit up). I have pictures from our December stay (below) but did not take any 'view' pictures in August - my sister did.

We did rent bikes during the August week (from Surfwatch). It was $25 for the whole week and very convenient. I like to ride from there to Shelter Cove, park the bikes, wander the cove for awhile, and then ride back. Kids will love the bridge that goes under the highway right by the mall and harbour (to cross 278). We also like to bike around and through the park area or head to the Port Royal golf course parking lot and follow the joint cart/bike path through to the gated community. It is a lovely ride through that area. And there is always the beach. However, I must agree that biking is the best in Sea Pines.

If you have 'tweens', there is a miniature golf and arcade a VERY short bike ride away (could also walk it), right by Carrabas. My sister's 10 yo granddaughter would've lived there if we had let her.

IMG_1026-1.jpg

IMG_1040-1.jpg

IMG_1038-1.jpg

The shower is THE BEST!! You will never want to get out!!

IMG_1031-1.jpg

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. Enjoy your stay!!

:) Kathy

laxmom

Reaction score
Love, love, love that shower!!! It was the size of my entire bath at home!!:rolleyes:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
I tried to post yesterday but it wouldn't post. Wrote quite a long post but a lot of what I wrote has been addressed already. I'll just add a few things.

We just got back yesterday from a week at Surfwatch- it was the week after Easter and was full capacity but didn't seem crowded at all. The only time we noticed how many people were there was at the Easter Egg hunt when everyone came together outside the indoor pool. The hunt was a great success and they had a little party with a DJ singing and dancing with the kids which was great.

We stayed in the Sea Cove building which is gardenview (we traded in via II). The other gardenview is Sea Dunes. There are a few gardenview villas in the Ocean Marsh building also because they face over the preserved wetlands area and not over the high tides pool(main outdoor pool). The views from the Sea Cove and Dunes are of the lake and fountain and are actually quite nice- not just a parking lot or road like some ts's. Tide Mark and Ocean Marsh face over the high tides pool out to the ocean. Ocean Dunes is the closest to the ocean. The villas are beautiful and the spa shower is wonderful (with four jets)- the kids loved it.

The high tides pool was warm despite some of the days being cooler (in the 60's)- the indoor pool is beautiful and was also warm and not crowded. We didn't swim in the sea and surf club pool (on the beach). The ocean was too cold for us adults though our kids went in and said it was "warm"!!!! We did see a pod of dolphins just out in the surf which was magical. There is a bar called the Sea Salts Company on the beach and you can sit and watch the amazing view of the ocean. They have some food service there also.

The bike rental is located in the parking area under the ocean Marsh building and is very convenient. The price was $10 a day or $25 for the week- we did the weekly rental. There are trails in Chaplin park- just across Burkes Beach Road. You can easily ride to Barony or go a little further to Shelter Cove. Of course if you are energetic you can ride almost anywhere on HHI since it is all flat and easy to ride. We rode to Barony a few times and bought drinks in their Marketplace and then rode back.

Surfwatch is quieter since it is surrounded by the park and a residential neighbourhood. The area is being gentrified and some of the new houses are beautiful and very expensive ($1.5 million and up). We like that it is quieter and not so built up. We also like the marsh area- it is very natural and since they can't alter it seems very authentic and representative of what the island was truly like prior to development.

There is a great Harris Teeter grocery store just up 278 at Hilton Head Plantation- also Barnes and Noble is nearby. The Fresh Market is near also in the opposite direction down 278.

The indoor pool may be closed for maintenance next week. They changed it from chlorine to salt water while we were there- was so nice not to have the nasty chlorine smell.

We went to the owners get-together. There weren't many people there but we met a few others. They said the resort is almost sold out. It is 3 years ahead of schedule because of the high demand. Can't remember anything else of much interest. The staff were great- no complaints at all. Say "Hello" to Osman- he is Turkish and works at the front desk. Has been in the US for 3 months and was very nice. Helped us with restaurants and directions.

I think you'll have a great time there- we did.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
I tried to post yesterday but it wouldn't post. Wrote quite a long post but a lot of what I wrote has been addressed already. I'll just add a few things.

We just got back yesterday from a week at Surfwatch- it was the week after Easter and was full capacity but didn't seem crowded at all. The only time we noticed how many people were there was at the Easter Egg hunt when everyone came together outside the indoor pool. The hunt was a great success and they had a little party with a DJ singing and dancing with the kids which was great.

We stayed in the Sea Cove building which is gardenview (we traded in via II). The other gardenview is Sea Dunes. There are a few gardenview villas in the Ocean Marsh building also because they face over the preserved wetlands area and not over the high tides pool(main outdoor pool). The views from the Sea Cove and Dunes are of the lake and fountain and are actually quite nice- not just a parking lot or road like some ts's. Tide Mark and Ocean Marsh face over the high tides pool out to the ocean. Ocean Dunes is the closest to the ocean. The villas are beautiful and the spa shower is wonderful (with four jets)- the kids loved it.

The high tides pool was warm despite some of the days being cooler (in the 60's)- the indoor pool is beautiful and was also warm and not crowded. We didn't swim in the sea and surf club pool (on the beach). The ocean was too cold for us adults though our kids went in and said it was "warm"!!!! We did see a pod of dolphins just out in the surf which was magical. There is a bar called the Sea Salts Company on the beach and you can sit and watch the amazing view of the ocean. They have some food service there also.

The bike rental is located in the parking area under the ocean Marsh building and is very convenient. The price was $10 a day or $25 for the week- we did the weekly rental. There are trails in Chaplin park- just across Burkes Beach Road. You can easily ride to Barony or go a little further to Shelter Cove. Of course if you are energetic you can ride almost anywhere on HHI since it is all flat and easy to ride. We rode to Barony a few times and bought drinks in their Marketplace and then rode back.

Surfwatch is quieter since it is surrounded by the park and a residential neighbourhood. The area is being gentrified and some of the new houses are beautiful and very expensive ($1.5 million and up). We like that it is quieter and not so built up. We also like the marsh area- it is very natural and since they can't alter it seems very authentic and representative of what the island was truly like prior to development.

There is a great Harris Teeter grocery store just up 278 at Hilton Head Plantation- also Barnes and Noble is nearby. The Fresh Market is near also in the opposite direction down 278.

The indoor pool may be closed for maintenance next week. They changed it from chlorine to salt water while we were there- was so nice not to have the nasty chlorine smell.

We went to the owners get-together. There weren't many people there but we met a few others. They said the resort is almost sold out. It is 3 years ahead of schedule because of the high demand. Can't remember anything else of much interest. The staff were great- no complaints at all. Say "Hello" to Osman- he is Turkish and works at the front desk. Has been in the US for 3 months and was very nice. Helped us with restaurants and directions.

I think you'll have a great time there- we did.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Sorry that I posted twice it was a mistake- I was trying to add a great tip that we heard at the owners get-together.

It can be difficult to get out onto 278 from Burkes Beach Road if it is a busy time of day (esp if you are turning left). What you can do is drive along Second Street through Chaplin Park and go out via Singleton Beach Road which has a traffic light. They said Burkes Beach Road will prob not get a traffic light because there is already one at Singleton Beach.