• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ko olina here now

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
At Ko Olina now. Any other tuggers here? Weather is a mixed bag of warm sun, rain, and wind. But its still great. Going over to the JW for dinner. I hear the place is crawling with professional football players for the Pro Bowl next weekend. We got a note today saying there is high security there and timeshare guest must make dinner reservations to use the facility there. Without dinner reservations you wont be allowed access to the facility. Since I could care less about football (and I know I am in the minority) my wife and daughter will enjoy it (2 big fans). The flier passed out didn't mention the cause of the security just that a private party has booked the hotel.

Wireless internet is in the rooms and kind of slow. Were staying in a lockout on the fifth floor in building two. Worst part is only one shower. Takes about 2hours for us to get ready to primp. Some ocean view. I would guess that to really have a great ocean view from bldg 2 you should be at floor 7 (to see over the trees). For a last minute trade in (flextime) I am happy. I love my Marriott timehshare.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Villas in Hawaii

Chris, I am thinking of trading into some into Hawaii next year, specifically Waiohai or Ko Olina.

I see by your thread (& your photo journal) that you have been to both.

I know each place has its advantages and disadvantages; which of these two resorts do you prefer and why?

Being in the lockoff unit I guess your wife will give you no choice but to watch the Superbowl with her today!

Speaking of the Superbowl, I know it starts at 8:00 pm East Coast time, but what time will it be in Hawaii when it starts? Will it be 3:00 pm?

Enjoy your time there!

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiohai vs KoOlina

Hi TimeTraveler

Both resorts are great (as far as we are concerned)! We go 2x/year to Waiohai (Oct & Dec) and every May Day to KoOlina (coming up soon) ...
Waiohai is our favorite - we have been going since it opened, bought pre-construction, actually KoOlina pre-con also .... the two islands are different, and both great ... we like KoOlina because it is fast and easy to get to for us, SFO-HNL and no interisland flights. Like Chris we grab a flexchange to KoOlina when possible...

Whichever you choose - you should have a great time ...

Aloha!

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Chris... have a great time... I love Roy's at the golf course across the street.

Yep, the internet is VERY slow there. Last time I complained and they told me to purchase the internet that you use in the lobby for faster speed. Loved that response. :D Anyways, I was still able to download pictures I just did it late at night when we were sleeping.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers

Chris, I am thinking of trading into some into Hawaii next year, specifically Waiohai or Ko Olina.

I know each place has its advantages and disadvantages; which of these two resorts do you prefer and why?

Being in the lockoff unit I guess your wife will give you no choice but to watch the Superbowl with her today!

Speaking of the Superbowl, I know it starts at 8:00 pm East Coast time, but what time will it be in Hawaii when it starts? Will it be 3:00 pm?

Enjoy your time there!

I've been to both too. YOu can see photos of the resorts in the link in my signature. I really don't prefer one over the other. They are very different in their own way. I liked the layout of the master bedroom & master bath better at Ko'Olina. I thought the grounds were lovely in both areas. However, Ko'Olina is suppose to build a waterslide, etc for their fun pool. Waiohai does not have any of that (just regular old pools with beautiful landscaping. Ko'Olina doesn't really have any waves at their beach so, no boogie or surf boarding (the beach at Ko'Olina is manmade coves. Waiohai can have small waves depending on the time of year your visit is). However, I liked Ko'Olina beach set up as you had access to lounge chairs and it felt more like a private beach. Good luck deciding..

Last edited:

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
TheTimeTraveler;462962r said:

GAme starts at 1pm here. I will be whale watching in a boat at that time without my wife. I agree with other posters both resorts are great but here is my list of highlights of each.

Waiohai
More tropical (lush) and isolated
very relaxed laid back island
Maybe slightly more expensive to fly to may require one more plane change
smaller resort
No big city here
quiet peaceful restful
no freeways on island; only roads
beach is real
my favorite

Ko Olina
big resort
lots to do on Ohau if you need to keep busy
if you like activities more to choose from
Big city nearby
beautiful manmade lagoons (beach)
big waves if you go in winter
lost is filmed here
lots of people in Waikiki if you spend a day there
resort is not as tropical, however other spots on island are
most beautiful beaches in all of Hawaii on Oahu just not at resort
Oahu most diverse of all islands; its got something of all the islands

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Hi

We're here but at Kai Lani condo (just to right thru gates before guard house), rented our 2 weeks and this paid for a month at a lovely 2 BR condo with even nicer ocean views.
My husband no longer wants to stay at KoOlina since they banned smoking on the lanais, LOVE this area but feel we were treated poorly by Marriott. Bought our 2nd week 6 months before the rules changed after he specifically asked about smoking. Last year we were there for 3 weeks (in "smoking" rooms as specified by 3 KoOlina employees), middle of 3rd week he was told very rudely no smoking allowed on balconeys (and rooms but he never smokes inside) and "mistakes" were made. We will either sell, continue renting or just use for exchanges.
We went to St Rita's Catholic church in Nanakuli today - quaint little church with a Hawaiin priest and many native Hawaiians, music mainly in hawaiian, very loving and "ohana"

Happy Super Bowl week!

seatrout

Reaction score
Maybe it is time to stop smoking. As a pharmacist ? (pharmgirl) you know what cigaret do to you:)

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
See Any Whales - What Tour?

Chris,

Did you see any whales? What tour did you take and what port did it depart? It is not clear to me what part of the island would be best for whale-watching...?

We (wife and I) will arrive in Ko-Olina late this Friday. When I called Ko-Olina Beach Club and asked for suggestions on whale watching tours they (of course) recommended the Ko-Olina CAT which leaves daily from the Ko Olina Marina.

Have a great time ... maybe our paths will cross this weekend. We will be the pale Clevelanders soaking up the sun for the first time since last summer.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Rudy,
I went on the Ko Olina cat...I signed up for the 2 hour whale watch and was the only one so they asked me if I i would go on the three hour snorkel sail for the same price. I said sure. They also said its the same place where the whale watch goes and they watch whales also. The snorkel spot was great and saw lots of fish. We snorkeled and ate lunch for the first 1.5 hours. The next 1.5 hours was sailing looking for whales. The sailing was great. Good wind and the catamaran was really moving. But we never found any whales. They said they normally see them everyday. Well because we didn't see any we can go again for free. So I think on Thursday we will try again...I also did talk with people who say the whales from the shore off Ko Olina and that is where the Cat goes. Oh and the Ko Olina Cat have a nice boat and crew. Overall it was a fun time.

Tonight we also had dinner at Chucks. After reading some comments by others I was pleasantly surprised. I though the atmosphere was great (sit outside) and the food was good. It was not overly priced as most Marriott restaurants. But this really isn't a Marriott restaurant.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
... Since I could care less about football (and I know I am in the minority) my wife and daughter will enjoy it (2 big fans). ...

Wireless internet is in the rooms and kind of slow. Were staying in a lockout on the fifth floor in building two. Worst part is only one shower. Takes about 2hours for us to get ready to primp. Some ocean view. I would guess that to really have a great ocean view from bldg 2 you should be at floor 7 (to see over the trees). For a last minute trade in (flextime) I am happy. I love my Marriott timehshare.
You finally got there, awesome!

Yeh, you are a minority, esp w/ the Super Bowl just wrapping up. Say hi to Mr. Brady for me, will ya?

Yeh, I tried the internet access in the rooms - it was slow as turtles, so I used my own access (cellular svc - hooked up to laptop), which was a must as my son has been discovering all the cool online games!

We stayed on the 5th flr the first week, yes you get nice tree-top views. The 2nd week, we got up on 7th flr - and you are right, get a gorgeous shot of the ocean, something we could NOT get enough of.

Enjoy your stay

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

We're at the Hilton Hawaiian village this week. We'll be heading over to Ko'olina Wed. night for the Pro Bowl Luau :D . Not too much activity here yet. Things really get going on Thursday.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Whats the probowl luau and where is it?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

pharmgirl

Reaction score
anyone know the prices for the buildog under construction? Seems it will be closer to water and have good views

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slow Internet

:mad: :mad: We are arriving a week from Saturday...we are owners and the
internet issue is something that concerns me as I plan to do about a hour of work each day in the AM...if anyone can find out who the responsible employee is for managing internet access, I will give them a call. I can always send to resort manager a letter as well.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
The wireless internet appears to be the slowest up until about noon. After that its seems to be ok. Even in the mornings there are times it is ok. My guess is that there are too many people using it in the morning and its just overloading. I also did see where you can purchase a direct connection for $.20 a minute near the activities desk.
Tonight we went to the Luau Fi Fi at the resort. As much as I dislike luaus this one was pretty good.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The wireless internet appears to be the slowest up until about noon. After that its seems to be ok. Even in the mornings there are times it is ok. My guess is that there are too many people using it in the morning and its just overloading. I also did see where you can purchase a direct connection for $.20 a minute near the activities desk.
Tonight we went to the Luau Fi Fi at the resort. As much as I dislike luaus this one was pretty good.
Yes, this Luau (our first) was very cozy and the show were relatively small,which is the way we like it.

I found the internet pretty slow at night as well (like dinner thru 9 or 10PM) - but again that was just the first 2 days or so, I gave up after that.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Beautiful fireworks last night in KoOlina - part of the Pro Bowl activities

Is anyone else reserving for this week in 2009? How best to do this - sat to sat will not take in the actual game but will be here for all activities
sun to sunday? but still would need to check out at 11 and not be able to come back after the game

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Beautiful fireworks last night in KoOlina - part of the Pro Bowl activities

Is anyone else reserving for this week in 2009? How best to do this - sat to sat will not take in the actual game but will be here for all activities
sun to sunday? but still would need to check out at 11 and not be able to come back after the game

I reserved Sunday to Sunday last year for Probowl but the game was played on Saturday. You can always check out and leave your luggage with the hotel. They will also give you access keys to take a shower and clean up.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
anyone know the prices for the buildog under construction? Seems it will be closer to water and have good views

We were there last New Year's week, the prices are EOY, so EY will probably be over double:

EOY 2br 2b OV - $28,260
EOY2br 2b MV - $22,260
EOY 3br 3b OV - $37,620

I agree, the views will be great!

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko Olina Purchase in November

We paid $21K for our EOY MV 2BR lockoff starting 2009 (earliest occupancy)

We were there last New Year's week, the prices are EOY, so EY will probably be over double:

EOY 2br 2b OV - $28,260
EOY2br 2b MV - $22,260
EOY 3br 3b OV - $37,620

I agree, the views will be great!

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
NFL.com channel now has interviews w/ the players....with Ko Olina lagoons in as the backdrop. How cool!!!