• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island of Hawaii

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
I like my surprises to be good ones so I usually book the type of room I want and then happily enjoy anything better that they want to give me. Especially when using cash - nothing's more depressing than getting that bill at the end of a disappointing stay. :(

GOOD POINT .. .. probably will only go to the big island once since we love Ko-Olina Beach club on Oahu and Maui so much... not to mention getting to Hawaii from Northeast Ohio is a long trip...

pacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Big Island right now for the 3rd time. Stayed at the Waikoloa Marriott the second time we were here. I definitely prefer a timeshare or condo vs a hotel room, which the Marriott is.

We stayed at Kingsland the first few days, and then in a condo through VRBO for the second week. Now are in Kona. I would definitely give VRBO a try.

pacman

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
GOOD POINT .. .. probably will only go to the big island once since we love Ko-Olina Beach club on Oahu and Maui so much... not to mention getting to Hawaii from Northeast Ohio is a long trip...

LOL! That's what I said a couple of years ago, too. We're headed back to the Big Island again this fall, because we love how different the islands are!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
After our first trip to the Big Island, which we did just as a change from Maui where we own, we came back every summer. Love it, love it, love it.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Aloha,

I have learned so much from reading the Marriott Resort System forum I just had to join! Thank you everyone for all of the valuable information posted here! We have been going to Maui for 20 yrs ~ owners at the MOC for the past 15 yrs. We have spent time on Oahu (Marriott Waikiki) Kauai (Kauai Beach Club and soon at the Marriott Grand Residences) Molokai and Lanai (day trips).

In 2014 we would like to spend some time on the Big Island. I have been exploring accommodation options online and at this time am leaning towards staying at the Marriott Waikoloa or Courtyard on points or perhaps points plus cash for about 5-6 days. I welcome your thoughts on these 2 resorts ~ looks like Waikoloa is about 25 miles north of Kona. How is that for getting around/to shops/restaurants? Is is better to stay more local at the Courtyard? Can we do a day trip to Volcanoes National Park from these locations?

In return, if I can be of any help with questions about Maui or the MOC, please let me know. We know that island by heart now!

Warmest Aloha's!
Candy
I didn't see where anybody asked this question so here goes.

Why not find an HGVC owner that can reserve a week for you at Waikoloa (preferably at Kingsland or a Villa at Bay Club) and you can reserve that person a week at MOC or at Westin Ka'Anapali?

You'll enjoy staying at a HGVC TS at Waikoloa much more than the Marriott hotel. The only thing the Marriott has going for it is the beach, but I'd rather stay at one of the HGVC TS's (Kingsland, Waikoloa, or the Bay Club at Waikoloa) and then drive North to Hapuna or drive/bike/walk to the Marriott beach (easy to get to using the service road).

Others may disagree, but I found it easier to get to/from Volcano NP, Haleakala, and Hilo from Waikoloa than Kona. Your also closer to the waterfalls.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I didn't see where anybody asked this question so here goes.

Why not find an HGVC owner that can reserve a week for you at Waikoloa (preferably at Kingsland or a Villa at Bay Club) and you can reserve that person a week at MOC or at Westin Ka'Anapali?

You'll enjoy staying at a HGVC TS at Waikoloa much more than the Marriott hotel. The only thing the Marriott has going for it is the beach, but I'd rather stay at one of the HGVC TS's (Kingsland, Waikoloa, or the Bay Club at Waikoloa) and then drive North to Hapuna or drive/bike/walk to the Marriott beach (easy to get to using the service road).

Others may disagree, but I found it easier to get to/from Volcano NP, Haleakala, and Hilo from Waikoloa than Kona. Your also closer to the waterfalls.

I totally agree with the bolded comment -- the HGVC timeshares on Waikoloa rock. I'd suggested something similar with using DC points for such a trade, but Ron's suggestion of doing an exchange with an HGVC owner who wants to visit Maui has just as much merit.

Best,

Greg

amisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC Waikoloa Beach Resort - Kohala Suites Owner

I own a 2BR Plus unit at the Kohala Suites at the HGVC Waikoloa resort... I think people like me would be open for the week swap with MOC property... I don't see a lot of Exchanges online for this PM me to discuss. :wave:

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Guess Marriott wasn't successful with this location either. It started out as an Outrigger hotel.

The way I read the article Marriott only manages it, the owners are selling?

Officials say most of the 315 employees are covered by union membership, but 49 are not. That leaves those employees at risk of losing their jobs if the new owner does not keep Marriott on as operator. It is not known at this time if Marriott will continue to manage and operate the resort.

The four-star resort is owned by a Delaware limited liability company with a Boca Raton, Fla., address. It had taxable value of $54.5 million in 2012.