• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Owner's Discount documentation requirements

fitz4me

Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of documentation is typically required on check-in to prove that you qualify for the MOD rate? My family owns a timeshare but my father is the named owner, so I'm wondering if I'm traveling without him if I'll run into problems, or if I'm OK as long as I'm using the same rewards # and CC (and last name, needless to say).

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what type of documentation is typically required on check-in to prove that you qualify for the MOD rate? My family owns a timeshare but my father is the named owner, so I'm wondering if I'm traveling without him if I'll run into problems, or if I'm OK as long as I'm using the same rewards # and CC (and last name, needless to say).
I received a communication from my home resort Marriott Mountainside recently on this. They mentionned that for owner's discount you need (1) a copy of the deed and (2) a copy of the maintenance fee statement. I do not know if this answer your question for your location.

fitz4me

Reaction score
Thanks, yes - that seems to pretty definitively answer the documentation aspect of the question (pending verification with the property I'm looking at in Tahoe, of course).

I guess the question was sort of a two-parter - I'd also be happy to hear from anyone with experience/knowledge about the traveling-without-the-named-owner aspect.

I received a communication from my home resort Marriott Mountainside recently on this. They mentionned that for owner's discount you need (1) a copy of the deed and (2) a copy of the maintenance fee statement. I do not know if this answer your question for your location.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Sabal Palms required owners number

I just finished a MOD rental at Sabal Palms and all they required was my owners number and they could look up my account to verify I am an owner. Naturally, the supplied name, address, etc has to match the owners number.

I recommend calling the resort and ask what they require...as it appears each has its own policy to verify you are qualified for the MOD discount.

dan_hoog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used it many times and they've never asked. Maybe they look up from name and address. I certainly wouldn't have a deed or maintenance bill handy.

-dan

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We uasually carry our owners card with us when we are using the MOD discount. Still haven't been asked for it though.

Cindala

TUG Member
Reaction score
We uasually carry our owners card with us when we are using the MOD discount. Still haven't been asked for it though.

There is a Marriott owners card? The only membership card I remember receiving is from II.:shrug:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They can tell from your Marriott Rewards account number that you own with Marriott. I have recently been asked for a photo ID when checking in, so I don't know if it will be a problem if your dad isn't with you. I would call the hotel and ask them directly.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used the discount at least ten times and they've never asked me for any proof of ownership.

Former Cruiser

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time we've tried to use the MOD when making reservations it comes back the rate is not available at this hotel. Does it have to be "Marriott"? We've only tried with Fairfield.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time we've tried to use the MOD when making reservations it comes back the rate is not available at this hotel. Does it have to be "Marriott"? We've only tried with Fairfield.

If I'm not mistaken, MOD can only be used on Marriott Vacation Club properties, and not their Hotels or their various brands.

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score

I believe it's only available at timeshare properties, not standard Marriotts.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I believe it's only available at timeshare properties, not standard Marriotts.

I have let my daughter use my mod discount at our home resort. However I did call the resort to confirm it was not a problem and told them that I was not going to be there. Her last name is the same as mine. They said it was no problem. Another thought is you could also prepay on your credit card or set it up so your card would make the payment. Again, call the resort and inquire first.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Owners Discount in Hotels

If I'm not mistaken, MOD can only be used on Marriott Vacation Club properties, and not their Hotels or their various brands.

Some Hotels do give an MOD rate - you just have to try it when booking and see if you can get it.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree.
For example, when I checked for Thailand recently, there were at least 5 hotels offering MOD discounted rates.
I believe the hotels offering this change as time goes by though, so unfortunately I doubt there is a single list one can refer to.
You just have to check each time by country/city.... for whatever date(s) you are interested in.

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott Stellaris in Aruba(the hotel not TS) often has the MOD rate