• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2000 minimum points purchase

arubalover60

Reaction score
I'm at the aruba ocean club and just took the DC points presentation and the women presenting told me that the minimum points to buy is now 2,000, not 1,500. She was trying to show what a great deal it was by showing me a 15 year pay out with interest at 14%. What a joke! They are still charging 9.20 per point for existing owners and 9.65 for new owners.
Needless to say I did not buy it nor did I join the DC program.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I'm at the aruba ocean club and just took the DC points presentation and the women presenting told me that the minimum points to buy is now 2,000, not 1,500. She was trying to show what a great deal it was by showing me a 15 year pay out with interest at 14%. What a joke! They are still charging 9.20 per point for existing owners and 9.65 for new owners.
Needless to say I did not buy it nor did I join the DC program.

It was originally a minimum of 1000 points for owners and 1500 for non-owners. They apparently recently changed the minimum to 1500 points for owners. Is the 2000 minimum just for non-owners? Are you currently a Marriott owner?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended a presentation at Oceana Palms last week and the minimum for owners was 1500 @ 9.20/point.

arubalover60

Reaction score
I'm a Marriott re-sale owner. I asked about the 1,500 point minimum and she said they recently changed it to 2,000 points.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Barony, Ocean Point, KoOlina, Surfwatch
Discrepancies in sales pitches at Ocean Pointe

We attended our Sales presentation at Oceana Palms (stayed at Ocean Pointe) on Monday 11/8/2010 and were told the minimum was 2000 pts at $9.60 per point. It seems like others were still offered $9.20 /point or lower minimum pt purchases.....Why so many different offers at the same time frame and same resort?

We were also told that we would never have access to trust resorts unless we bought more points. We are legacy owners who enrolled all our weeks except 1 re-sale week. The salesman insisted I would only have access to weeks that other enrolled legacy weeks owners deposited. I asked the salesman to show me in writing where it stated I as an enrolled legacy week owner would have no access to resorts in the trust. He told me it was in the documents I signed when I enrolled ... he would not specifically show me!

The salseman also told me that my new interval account from Marriott for enrolling could not be used with my resale (Marriott)week. However, when we enolled I was told I could use it for Marriott to Marirott exchanges with this resale week as well , just that I could not exchange/cconvert it Marriott Destination nor Reward points and that I would need a new interval account if I wanted to exchange outside of Marriott. One of the reasons I enrolled was to save on fees and interval membership. Since I mostly exchanged with Marriott anyways I was okay with enrolling providing I did get to use the Marriottt interval account for my 1 resale week that was not enrolled. Which Salesman is correct? Does any tugger know the real answer .. I got 2 different answers form owner services as well...?

Obviously we did not buy and at this point I am frustrated with the discrepancies/contradictions with the info from Marriott marketing and VOA staff.

:annoyed:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

I have 13,866 legacy points....without purchasing any TRUST points. On 5/28-6/4 I snagged a 3 bedroom OF at Kauai Lagoons (a trust resort). Please don't worry about access to trust resorts...

It is an "exchange process" just as II is, but you will have access to trust stuff...

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed .. what about the II account

I agree the exchange company should allow me access to trust weeks via exchange. Afterall, the program desparately needs legacy weeks to make the system work. It just amazes me how Marriott allows the inconsitent rhetoric from their salesman!

Does anyone know if the Marriott II account (received fro enrolling and paying a 200 club fee - see my post #6) will allow me to exchange my non-enrolled re-sale Marriott week for a week-to-wekk exchange for another Marriott property or will I still need a separate II account?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We attended our Sales presentation at Oceana Palms (stayed at Ocean Pointe) on Monday 11/8/2010 and were told the minimum was 2000 pts at $9.60 per point. It seems like others were still offered $9.20 /point or lower minimum pt purchases.....Why so many different offers at the same time frame and same resort?

We are legacy owners who enrolled all our weeks except 1 re-sale week. noyed:

Rudy,
Had you already enrolled in the DC program prior to you sales tour? Our presentation was on 11/2 and we had not yet enrolled. Our sales person did not mention anything about the minimum point requirement and price (for legacy owners) increasing in the near future, so I am disappointed to hear your experience. I suggest contacting the sales manager for an explanation.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

I believe that any non-enrolled week requires a separate II acount....

sorry!!!

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
More details

Superchief,

Yes we enrolled in July when we toured at HHI. I wanted to see Oceana Palms and also get clarification on several discrepancies or misunderstandings on my part w.r.t. the Destination Club .. so we took a tour last week while staying at Ocean Pointe.

Also we had purchased a re-sale (Ocean Pointe Silver) prior to enrolling or knowing about the new DC program but it did not close prior to the June 20 deadline. So I was hoping we would be able to enroll it in the DC points program as well .. hoping Marriott would give a 5week developer purchased owner a break since we bought the re-sale before the DC program was announced.....I was told no way would we ever be able to enroll it.

Are you implying that I was offered to buy at a higher price ($9.6 /pt and 2000 pt min) because we had already enrolled?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Superchief,

Are you implying that I was offered to buy at a higher price ($9.6 /pt and 2000 pt min) because we had already enrolled?

I am trying to understand why your minimum points and price were higher than what Jim and I were offered no more than one week earlier. Since you own multiple developer weeks, my one hypothesis is that they offered me a more attractive deal because I had not yet enrolled my legacy weeks into the program. Do you recall what incentives you were offered? I would receive 1400 bonus points and my conversion fee would be covered.

I am very disappointed in the way that MVC treats their long-term customers and hope that there is a change in management to stop this trend.

rudy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, I do not recall the incentives... THey showed me the 'standard' purchase sheet where you received more single use points for the more points purchased. I believe the incentives maxed out with a 7500 point purchase but it was not even double the incentive for a 3000 pt purchase which made no sense to me. By this point in the presentation, I was aggravated with the untruths told by the salesman and knew I wasn't going to buy regardless of the incentive.