• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coastal Carolinas,Early June rental-best site??

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
My recently retired brother has been bitten by the "I want to relocate to the Carolinas bug". His wife still will work for at least 5-7 years.He does not like touristy areas or large crowds. He golfs and like myself loves the beach and warm weather.

He has a vacation planned in early June and wants to stay a week somewhere in the coastal Carolinas to begin investigating their options. He does not think he would like Myrtle Beach for the above reasons. I who adore HHI suggested he start there.

I am looking for good rental sites to help him. They have never been to the Carolinas. It is the week of June 4th. They are on a budget.

Thank You and I welcome imput on other N or S Carolina areas.

shugga

Reaction score
Check out New Bern, NC. Great golf and boating, about 40 minutes from the beach. Places to stay while visiting...Comfort Suites on Front Street, Holiday Inn Express on MLK Blvd., lots of B&B's, and Fairfield has timeshares/condos that are about 12-15 miles outside of town.

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
He might also want to checkout Brunswick County, NC, which is between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Lots of golf and close to beaches. Many subdivision developers offer discount accommodations for people to come tour their properties. There is a company that sets up real estate shows for southern states real estate called "Live South" Looks like you missed the "Live South" real estate show in your area, which was last month. www.livesouth.com

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
He might also want to checkout Brunswick County, NC, which is between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Lots of golf and close to beaches. Many subdivision developers offer discount accommodations for people to come tour their properties. There is a company that sets up real estate shows for southern states real estate called "Live South" Looks like you missed the "Live South" real estate show in your area, which was last month. www.livesouth.com

However, this is a big tourist area. There are some timeshare places in the area. You should check if you belong to II or RCI... Calabash and Ocean Isle beach there is one .

somerville

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just about every beach area is going to attract tourists, but the Brunswick County beaches tend not to have as much commercial developments and high rises as some other areas, such as Myrtle Beach. Once you get away from the beach there are a number of planned communities and golf courses.

HHI, SC would also be touristy, but there are a lot of permanent residents. Once you get off island, you find more planned communities, many with a golf course. Also, a little further north is Beaufort.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
For timeshare rentals on the NC Outer Banks, the best bet is Outer Banks Resort Rentals in Nags Head

cluemeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
Topsail Island

Just north of Wilmington is a barrier island called Topsail Island. Some great ocean front and ocean view rentals can be had fairly reasonably in this area. Plenty of rental web sites for that area, a few are treasurerealty.com and sanddollarattopsail.com.

Flo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We retired to southern Brunswick County from NY and wake up each day in Paradise. Close to beaches, golf, and Myrtle Beach entertainment, without the traffic.
Nicest people in the world live here, we think.

swasuth

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son relocated to Wilmington about 14 years ago & started in the building industry & has been very successful. My daughter went there 3 1/2 years ago and loves the beaches, the landscape & the weather. Our mutual friend went to Ash in Brunswick County. He absolutely loves it. They are two COMPLETELY different areas. Wilmington is buzzing with a historic district & much shopping. Ash has your farm animals in the next neighbors property. It is very laid back. The neat thing is that you can have either one within an hour. Go for it.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Brunswick County--I suggest St James

WE did the same thing--we looked at quite a few developments up and down from MB to Wilmington. I would highly suggest St James Plantation in Southport. Have your Bro look it up on the web. We were very impressed with the community, gold courses, marina, and beach pavilion. He can book a preview package--or just call St. James and book a condo--they have centralized bookings for private owners--very reasonable. There is also a Comfort Suite and Hampton Inn nearby.
FYI--be sure to check resale lots--sometimes much less than developer--a trick I learned from TUG. Elaine

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
WE did the same thing--we looked at quite a few developments up and down from MB to Wilmington. I would highly suggest St James Plantation in Southport. Have your Bro look it up on the web. We were very impressed with the community, gold courses, marina, and beach pavilion. He can book a preview package--or just call St. James and book a condo--they have centralized bookings for private owners--very reasonable. There is also a Comfort Suite and Hampton Inn nearby.
FYI--be sure to check resale lots--sometimes much less than developer--a trick I learned from TUG. Elaine

If your brother is looking to purchase and is on a small budget St James may not be for him. However, there are places that may fit his budget in the area. He will have to pay to join the country club. Then every year he can pick the membership he wants for that year. The beach club is owned by the POA. Plus you have to pay POA every year. Real estate taxas are great. However, insurance for your house is high. Every year it goes up. Oak Island is close by with 12 miles of beach. The summer is loaded with tourists. Traffic can be bad. The area is growing. However, roads not keeping up with the growth. Since the home bust, growth has slowed down. He can purchase a good buy resale right now. However, he may not be looking to purchase for several years. Things change. He has to do his homework.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I started a fledgling yahoo group called Carolina's Carolina that focuses on retirement in NC & SC. I also have a dream to retire to SC from Atlanta when I tire of city living. If I could afford it, I'd buy a home on either HHI or Edisto Island. I love artsy Beaufort too, but now it's "discovered" and pricey.

If your brother would like to be in the yahoo group, PM me.

P.S. Re: exhanging, there are many timeshares in the area. The various plantation resorts seem quite easy to get into with most any kind of trader. I don't think those would have a very touristy feel as opposed to highrise condo resorts on the beaches.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Try Seabrook Island near Charleston SC. Its a mostly residential island, Next to more well known Kiawah Island. We have owned a place there for almost ten years and love it. The two golf courses are seldom busy and the Club Facilities are undergoing a major renovation.

Cheers