• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Swallowtail in Sea Pines

rdh1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been Swallowtail owners for several years, having purchased in its last Marriott year. In the recent adjustment of classifications Swallowtail has dropped from 5 star to nothing. Not even the second tier Select. I can understand not being Premier due to the lack of amenities. If anything I believe it has improved somewhat under the new management. We will be there next month and I will be sure to bring this up at the monday morning breakfast.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Swallowtail was our very first timeshare stay ever, back in 1997. We were given an II week as a bonus week for purchasing our Flagship week, and we booked Swallowtail (shoulder season - was either late spring or early fall, can't remember), which was then still with Marriott. It was just Hubby and I (kids were still in school and my mom stayed with them), and we were amazed at the size of the unit. Anyway, on that first stay, we fell in love with TS in general and Hilton Head Island in particular. While there that week, we bought our week at Royal Dunes, which was just being built. Needless to say, I knew nothing about resale back then! But Swallowtail will always represent the start of our love affair with timeshare!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Bob,

Isn't Swallowtail now being managed by the Club Group which is being audited right now for "financial irregularities" in connection to the Dennis Gerwing suicide?

Richard

rdh1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Richard:

You are right about it being managed by Club Group, but I can't imagine the recent problems there have any influence with the change. When I was in HHI last month I tried to get any additional info, but was told everything is in the Islandpacket paper.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I own at HH Spicebush, and II did the same thing to Spicebush. I've gotten good trades from II in the past, now I'm worried. And I also think Spicebush has actually improved under the Club Group's management in spite of their current "issues" ! Please let me know if you find anything out.....
Deb

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How do you know Swallowtail was "demoted"? I'm looking at II online right now and my Swallowtail week has a little symbol next to it that means "Premier Resort - The highest level of recognition, providing an outstanding vacation experience, with state-of-the-art conveniences, and modern features and appointments." That sounds pretty good to me.

Deb

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting...when I look at II online, neither Swallowtail nor Spicebush have a symbol by them! Where are you looking? In the resort directory?

rdh1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too just looked at the II online Resort Directory and fail to see any symbols next to Swallowtail or Spicebush.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
OK... I see what you mean. It is definitely missing in the directory. Under exchanges, where it shows my units, the resort still has the premier designation.

It's interesting that I have only heard of II changing their grading policy here at TUG. Did II notify people? Was the info in our latest directory?

Deb

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you own at Swallowtail, look at your own II timeshare ownerships, not the II Resort Directory. Log in and then click on "Exchange" and then "View Your Units". Look at the symbol (and highlight it for an explanation) to the right of the name of your resort.

rdh1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I look under Exchanges and View My Units, I still don't see any symbol. No rating as shown under the Resort Directory.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob...same here...I don't see any symbol next to the Spicebush unit I have available for exchange. It's a 2009 week, would that make a difference, do you think?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maybe the symbol is still showing up next to mine because I have a 2007 week with an exchange request?

Deb

rdh1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only have 2008 and 2009 weeks showing. It looks like the difference is that the 2007 week still carried the high rating.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
All in all, it's very disappointing. I see some resorts that still have gold crown ratings that I don't consider nearly as nice as either Swallowtail or Spicebush. (And I've stayed at both resorts) I wonder how II made their ranking decisions, does anyone know? To go from gold crown to nothing (!), especially with our fabulous Sea Pines location doesn't seem right to me.....

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I wonder how II made their ranking decisions, does anyone know? To go from gold crown to nothing (!), especially with our fabulous Sea Pines location doesn't seem right to me.....

If I had to guess, I'd say amenities such as markets and onsite activities. As you know, Swallowtail doesn't need this. The resort is not a destination in itself. Sea Pines is the destination.

I wouldn't worry overly much. Do you think it will effect your trade power? Demand is demand regardless of II ranking. I suppose there will be people who won't request Swallowtail or Spicebush based on the lack of designation. These are the same people who would be disappointed that these resorts aren't Grande Ocean.

Deb

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb,
Good point..hopefully it won't affect trade power all that much. And if I don't get a trade I want, I'll just go to Spicebush..a "no lose" situation ! :)

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with II. They called with one of those updates on my ongoing request.

The rep told me that Swallowtail has an 88% customer satisfaction rating. The new designations are based on this along with amenities, upgrades, etc.

Deb