• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Biennel Timeshares

peppersmom

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the EOY? Do you still have to pay MF each year or it is during the year you own? I would like some insight to the advantages or disadvantages. Thanks.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Different Timeshares Bill EOYs & EEYs Differently.

What are your thoughts on the EOY? Do you still have to pay MF each year or it is during the year you own? I would like some insight to the advantages or disadvantages. Thanks.
Our Orlando FL biennial timeshare (EEY) bills us every year for about 1/2 the amount the every-year owners pay.

By contrast, our Kissimmee FL triennial timeshares bill us for the full amount (same as what the every-year owners pay), but only in 1 year out of every 3 years. The other 2 years, we don't pay anything. (That's according to the letters they sent us acknowledging us as new owners. We bought'm resale last year via eBay. They both came with paid-ahead fees, so we have not yet been billed by the resort.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Steve

Reaction score
I have found them harder to sell compared with annual timeshares, and they also seem to drop in value even faster than the annual ones.

It just feels like too long of an interval between vacations. This is especially true if you have to pay 1/2 of your fees each year. You're paying this fee out now...even if it is only 1/2 of the total...and you won't get any vacation time out of it for over a year.

I have decided to stick with annual ownerships from now on.

Steve

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It depends why you are buying it. For example, if you want to go to Hawaii, but not every year (expense, travel time, etc.), an eoy is an excellent way to make certain you get Hawaii when you want to go and not have to pay the associated high maintenance fees for the years you expect to trade it.

On the other hand, if you are buying a cheap trader (think: $1), the closing costs are disproportionate.

Also, if it is a Starwood mandatory unit, you have to pay the SVN fee of about $115 every year, even if you own an eoy.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
My EOY works well for me. I'm able to split my unit and then have two weeks deposited which allows for a vacation every year. I guess the one big downside of an EOY unit is you may be paying for an II or RCI membership in years you aren't using the TS.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
My 2 cents...

Most of my portfolio consists of Wyndham points, but I also own a few EOY deeds. One of them bills for MFs only in the use year, the others bill every year...either way, I can always make monthly pmts in advance. However, I prefer to make monthly deposits to a CD and when it matures (in November), take out the money and use it to pay the MFs.

I purchased EOY deeds at resorts/areas I like to visit, but not necessarily every year. I like to plan ahead and I've always found it difficult to get what I want thru RCI. One EOY deed is a 2bdrm fixed summer week Myrtle Beach ocean front. MFs are less than the cost of using my points for ocean front at one of the Wyndham resorts in MB. I also picked up a 1bdrm fixed week (late May) in Hilton Head where the seller paid all 2013 MFs and half 2015 MFs... Wyndham has no resorts there.

Since all of my biennial deeds are ODD use years, I put my ODD year Wyndham points in the credit pool.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Biennials Come In Two -- 2 -- Varieties.

I also own a few EOY deeds.
Any EEY deeds ?

I'm starting to wonder whether I am the sole EEY owner on TUG-BBS.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like EOYs. I have an Odd Wyndham and an Even Starwood. So I am able to get a luxurious vacation one year (although in limited locations) and a more pedestrian vacation the other year (with a ton of locations in the system). It gives me flexibility with where I want to go, and also gives me free access to both RCI and II.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any EEY deeds ?

I'm starting to wonder whether I am the sole EEY owner on TUG-BBS.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "EEY" deed?

C30NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with DJS...if you buy an EOY 2BR lockout, you will be able to "split" it and have a week each year. But if you are doing this in II I believe you will be limited on your ongoing searches to 1BR's, but can still pick up 2BR's as straigh exchanges. Not sure if you need 2BRs or a 1BR is fine.

EEY - I think they are calling this Every Even Year...EOY being Every Odd Year...Although I know EOY as Every OTHER Year..:rofl:

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 2 Every Other year timeshares. The first is a Marriott Even year in Hawaii. The other is a Odd year on Hilton Head. We are on the East coast so it is nice to break the years up since the long trip to Hawaii is starting to get to us. If I was on the West Coast I would probably have purchased every year on Hawaii. I believe someone else hit it on the head, it depends on why your buying it. It has to work for you. Our situation works well for us.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with DJS...if you buy an EOY 2BR lockout, you will be able to "split" it and have a week each year. But if you are doing this in II I believe you will be limited on your ongoing searches to 1BR's, but can still pick up 2BR's as straigh exchanges. Not sure if you need 2BRs or a 1BR is fine.

EEY - I think they are calling this Every Even Year...EOY being Every Odd Year...Although I know EOY as Every OTHER Year..:rofl:

Jase, that is certainly a valid concern, I've only done a search request twice though so it hasn't been an issue for me. One trick to requesting larger units is to only request places that have larger than what you are exchanging. For an upcoming trip to Aruba I did this, using my 2 person studio I only requested places that had studios that slept 4 (meaning my brother and I wouldn't be sharing a bed).

The only other time was when I wanted a DVC exchange (back when they were with II) and knew I needed a 2B. I had planned that one ahead and didn't split my unit. Interestingly, before putting in the request I did searches to see what was available to me and for the most part the 2B wasn't getting significantly better pulls than when I would search with a 1B.

peppersmom

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I think the main reason for the Every Other Year purchase whether it be an odd or even year, was to make sure I took a vacation..the Grand Vista would be fun to go with kids/grandkids or just the two of us..we enjoyed the location, golf, restaurants and doing nothing if that was the case. I also heard it could be a good trade if needed.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Splitting My EEY Timeshare Gets Me 2 Weeks In My Use Year Only -- Not 1 In Both Years

I agree with DJS...if you buy an EOY 2BR lockout, you will be able to "split" it and have a week each year.
I have to use both sides of my EEY lock-off the same year.

Nothing about my alternate-year ownership lets me use part during my use year & the rest during a non-use year -- e.g., I had to use the "A" & the "B" lock-off units both in 2010, rather than 1 last year & the other this year.

Putting it another way, I can't use any part of my EEY lock-off during the non-even years. That's because somebody else owns my unit during the years that I don't.

If I am determined to make my floating-week EEY lock-off timeshare cover the odd years too, I can split it during my use year, & make separate reservations for the "A" & "B" units, checking in for a vacation in 1 part while banking the other part with RCI or I-I or some such for purposes of exchanging back in to my own timeshare (or somebody else's) next year.

That involves exchange company membership & exchange fees, of course. But it's the only way I can get consecutive-year use out of my EEY lock-off timeshare.

So it goes.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love every other year timeshares. Most of my timeshare portfolio is that.

My favorite are the 2 or 3 bedroom lockouts that I own ever other year.

This way I can own more timeshares at half the maintenance fees!

Peggy

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned and sold 1. I actually have an every 5 year deed with the Wilderness Presidential resort. That ownership is a little weird since it consist of full use of the resort during the year and the use of a 2 bed cabin every 5 years.

Now I have a Wyndham Points EOY and love it since I get 231 pts that I can use anytime within the 2 years so its more like 231 K points I can use in 2 years however I want and the mf's are cheap.

So EOY or EEY with points systems doesn't really have a diff with the exception of less payment of mf's I believe.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also like EOY because for us, otherwise, the weeks accumulate faster than we can use them. Mine is a lockout, so I split it and deposit with DAE, therefore getting a span of time to take two vacations, different years if we want. Or I can use one or both sides in our odd use year. (Haven't done that yet. It will be easier when we have no commitments with kids during the school year.)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I love biennials and own two. HGVC and Wyndham. Both are points systems so you can bank and borrow ahead. I bought the HGVC for the bonus time options and the Wyndham mini system is so convenient to book and avoids the competition of RCI exchanges.

I also own a two triennials RCI points accounts that work great for banking and borrowing. This one keeps the fees really low and allows me to deposit my weeks resorts as a points for deposit in the years that I want more RCI points. There are still some great deals in RCI points and I continue to get good value from owning them.

It's nice having a toe hold in several systems, yet keeping my maintenance fees in check. The MF's can get out of control really quick with yearly ownerships. I own a few of those too. :eek: