• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

STARWOOD NEWS: Interval International Changes [merged]

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
That's what I saw before the change, but now I just see the two one bedroom units. Looks like a glitch. I have the confirmation email for the deposit so I am sure that I will be able to get it fixed...eventually.

FYI - I just got off the phone with someone from the Starwood desk at II and she was very firm that I had to choose either one two bedroom deposit or two one bedroom deposits (similar to how the Marriott lockoffs work). I left my deposit as two one bedrooms but she was willing to change it to a two bedroom as my original deposit email stated. Of course, this is new so she could be wrong, but this is the information that I received today.

What is everyone else seeing with their existing deposits? My 2015 undeposited units look the same with all three choices (2 bedroom, 1 bdrmA and 1 bdrmB), but my 2014 deposited unit only shows the 1 bdrmA and 1 bdrmB.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
An email from Starwood Vacation Network this morning sent me to this link to explain the new Interval International enhancements. I have a resale SDO and don't belong to SVN, so this may or may not apply to me.

www.starwoodvacationnetwork.com/ownership/ownership101/#/intervalInternational

The ability to do Request First is nice. I assume this means that we no longer have to give up a home reservation in order to put in an ongoing search in II.

They do point out that we only have until 12/24 of the use year to assign a week to II. I think before we could wait until the end of the year.

I did also notice the small print that Coral Vista will be points based.

All in all, with the extension of deposit expiration by 6 months and other changes, I think these are excellent positives that SVO was able to pass on to owners in renegotiating the contract with II.

-ryan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
ALL Starwood II requests have been request first since they changed the rules in 2009 - you still have to contact Starwood and designate your timeshare for exchange, before you put in an OGS or do an instant online exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
ALL Starwood II requests have been request first since they changed the rules in 2009 - you still have to contact Starwood and designate your timeshare for exchange, before you put in an OGS or do an instant online exchange.

Yes, but I read this as being able to do request first while still having your home reservation intact. This was not allowed previously.

It also states that you no longer have to contact Starwood prior to exchange in the link.

Did I misread the changes?

-ryan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Let me read it from my computer and get back to you - hard to read on the phone.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
New II Rules

Got a email this morning detailing changes when exchanging a Starwood through II.
1. Unit will now appear in II as deposited. Yeah. No more confusion. Can be done right from II.
2. Unit doesn't expire until Dec 31 two years after use year. i.e. 2014 use year expires Dec 31 2016. Yeah an extra 6 months.

Ian

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I deposited a SBP unit I don't plan on using this year. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to depositing vs not. So far I don't see any difference in what's available with a deposited unit and a non deposited unit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From mystarcentral.com:

Interval International (II) and Starwood Vacation Network recently enhanced your External Exchange process. Owners will see a host of new features when it comes to viewing available assignments when requesting an exchange. These new features will also apply to any previously assigned and available 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 Use Right assignments.
What’s New

Owners and II Vacation Planning Counselors will now see the specific Use Year (s), Home Resort, villa type and expiration date of your assignment in your II account.

You will now have up to 36 months (previously 30 Months) to use your Assignment.

You have an additional 6 months to complete your travel and your assignment will now be valid until December 31, two years after the Use Year deposited.

You maintain your ability to assign your Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI) directly with II (by phone or online) without calling Owner Services.*

Owners may now take advantage of Interval’s Deposit First exchange method, in addition to the Request First method previously available.

Exchanging is Easy

Signing into IntervalWorld.com is the fastest and easiest way to exchange. Click the Exchange tab, search for availability and then pick the Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI) you wish to exchange.

If you don’t immediately find the available exchange you are looking for, be sure to start an ongoing request using either of the following two exchange choices with II:

Deposit First – Use Deposit First when you know you won’t be traveling to your Home Resort or an SVN resort during the Use Year. Once you assign your VOI, you will have up to three years —a year in advance and up to two years after — to request and complete your exchange travel.

Request First – You can search availability with II without assigning your VOI. You can start an exchange request up to 1 year in advance and through December 24 of the Use Year you wish to exchange. If your exchange is not confirmed by December 24 of the Use Year, you must contact II or Owner Services to assign your VOI to maintain your ability to exchange it in a future year.

Take $35 off** the standard exchange fee when you confirm an exchange using your VOI to confirm into a SVN villa resort through Interval International. Plus, you’ll save an additional $20 when you complete your exchange online.

For more information regarding these updates, please visit intervalworld.com or call 877 782 7088.

Excludes Sheraton Vistana Resort Courts, Falls, Spas, Palms and Springs VOI’s not participating in SVN membership who continue to assign directly with Interval International. Coral Vista Villas VOI’s participate in Interval Points exchange program.

It may take up to 72 hours for the verification process for Request First exchanges.

*Your annual fees associated with your VOI must be paid in full at the time of your request to assign your VOI for External Exchange for a current or future Use Year and at the time you initiate an exchange request with Interval International.

**Trade into any Starwood Vacation Ownership resort to qualify for the discount. Non-Starwood Vacation Ownership resorts are not permitted in exchange requests. Owners relinquishing anything other than Starwood Vacation Ownership weeks are ineligible. Discount applies to new exchange requests only and previously confirmed or pending exchanges are not entitled to a refund or discount. Discount is for Owners residing in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean islands, and serviced by the U.S. Servicing office for Interval International. All other Owners will receive comparable discounts set by their servicing office. Owners residing in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean islands will be charged the discounted domestic exchange fee when traveling to Starwood Vacation Ownership resorts in Cancún, The Bahamas and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Great thread :)!

I am terribly behind in all of my timeshare endeavors. After reading this thread, I paid next year's dues and went ahead and asked Starwood to deposit my 2015 SDO lockoff as two units, A and B.

So now what? When I log in to II, I see the various years and the DEPOSIT UNIT button is available for 2014 and 2015. Is that supposed to be that way, and in order for me to start putting requests in, I click on that button for 2015? Or does Starwood have to take a day or two to notify II that I have deposited those units? Since I am so bad at handling these things, I want to get it over with and put some requests in there and just let it chug away.

It's terrible:eek:, but I have a 2013 unit deposited and it was searching for 2012, 2013 and 1/2 of 2014, most of which is already history. Ugh! I got rid of the expired dates and added some that are into the future. Unbelievable.

Anybody see any II specials out there lately? I paid $227 to renew for three years, but would rather pay less than that :(!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Is there someplace I could go to read a 101 for Dumbies on II? I read about instant exchanges and how folks are able to get a 2BD with a 1BD and I just want to immerse myself in how to use this system?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there someplace I could go to read a 101 for Dumbies on II? I read about instant exchanges and how folks are able to get a 2BD with a 1BD and I just want to immerse myself in how to use this system?

At the top of this forum.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those have been the rules since 2009, but apparently they have made some changes in the process and instructions.

Since 2009, owners have had to contact Starwood and deposit their week first - if you try to deposit it online, it may appear to go through, but it usually hangs up some place. They want you to call Starwood and start the process there.

Denise, as a new Starwood owner, do I have to call Starwood and then they deposit it into II and then I can place an on-going search after that?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The way Starwood and II have things set up IS confusing - it's not you!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The way Starwood and II have things set up IS confusing - it's not you!

Thank you for saying that as I feel pretty stupid right about now…. Thanks for always helping me out. I really appreciate it.