• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare traded still in Dad's name

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I manage my Dad's account. I recently received a letter from Wyndham. It starts 'We are contacting you because a check of the public land records revealed that the timeshare you traded for an upgrade is still in your name'. I would guess he traded the property (Avenue Plaza) at least 10 years ago. He would have done this with Wyndham (or perhaps Fairfield) trading up with a developer purchase. It is a quit claim deed -- lots of blank spaces, instructions say to let Title Services fill the sections out prior to recordation. I plan to call Title Services and ask for a completed document before having him sign. Has anyone received anything like this?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would PM Ron and see if he wants the NOLA deed. :hysterical:

Seems their "bad" ... (as in bad luck). 10 years. Who abandon what?

Thanks for a good laugh.

PS And who has been paying those MFs for 10 years....

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wild guess! Fairfield acquired AVP around 10-12 years ago. They offered existing fixed week owners a chance to upgrade to points for around $995 special vs $2,395.

Does he have 126K or 140K points?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Linda, it is a good laugh. They aren't asking for money, and have even offered to send out a notary. But seriously, sign a blank document and they'll fill in it later?

Paco, he doesn't own any of this anymore -- has traded up and to other resorts so much I honestly don't know everything he has done. But I bet you are right.

I haven't had a chance to call the title dept (darn day job :)). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Update on this

No one at Wyndham could really tell me what was going on here. I did have some one in the title department help me fill in the blanks on the paperwork they wanted signed (other than some instrument numbers that they said the county records would have and they could not provide). Rather than have my Dad mess around with it, too much, I waited until we were on vacation (sorry Dad). While at a Wyndham we had someone there notarize what was needed and got it sent to the Wyndham title department.

Kind of a hokey deal. Obviously some incorrectly executed paperwork years ago. I figured it would be best to get my Dad's name off it. It has to be Wyndham's mess up. They didn't want any money and offered to send a notary (for no charge) to his house.

If you ever wonder why some transfers can take forever, my guess is this is one situation you might be running up against.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kind of a hokey deal. Obviously some incorrectly executed paperwork years ago. I figured it would be best to get my Dad's name off it. It has to be Wyndham's mess up. They didn't want any money and offered to send a notary (for no charge) to his house.

Sounds like Wyndham's mess up, but also a continued mess up for 10 years.
People get worried about transferring to PCC's thinking it won't get out of their name. This is even worse. You pay a lot more to the developer for an upgrade and they still don't take it out of your name. Hopefully, he hasn't been paying taxes on it all these years.