• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kauai: Should We (or not)? (today)

L2Brennan

Reaction score
Hi,

We have thoroughly enjoyed a preview package with the Westin Kauai. Having reviewed and walked from Marriott and Hyatt timeshares in the past...we are quite taken w/ the Westin/SPG vacation ownership program.

This said, we're novices at investing in timeshares. Welcome feedback on what's being offered today...bottom line, should we go for it? Specs:

$'s
-2 weeks every other years = $37k
-mainteance $1,250 annual less $575@ first 2years

Incenvites
-Gold SPG for life for both spouses
-100,000 SPG pts
-additional 80,000 SPG pts for $1550 (can buy x4 over next 4 years)

10% down + $550 closing costs required = $4,240 total investment rqred
approx $600/monthly gross

Questions...is this a 'deal'?
What else should we request?
What is the net out-of-pocket to our annual expenses to consider?

Tx in advance!!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you checked what's available as a resale?

Also, I noticed you have "today" in parentheses. Is that one of those sales lines they give you that this offer is only available "today"? Chances are, the deal will be available tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after....

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Do not buy retail.

I have seen every other year WPORV units sell for < $1,000 on eBay.

It is true that if you buy resale, you cannot convert your use into StarPoints (not that that is a good deal economically) and it is also true that if you buy resale you don't get StarOptions (although if you are buying for StarOptions, buy Kierland instead). And you won't get the purchase incentives that are worth $2,000 - $5,000.

But these incentives are not worth paying fifteen times more money to get.

Timesharing is great, but take your time and do your research.

Last edited:

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
we're novices at investing in timeshares.

Timeshares are NOT an investment and should never be viewed as such. Although Westin Princeville is a very desirable resort, the high maintenance fees and the fact that the StarOptions don't transfer when you want to sell the week means it has low resale value.

You should look into resale or consider just renting the weeks you want. Whatever you do, don't make any purchase (retail or resale) without doing your homework first.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought at full price and because I love the WPOVR, I try very hard not to have buyer's remorse- but DO NOT BUY RETAIL! Only buy resale- you still get Starwood preference in II trades and I have always gotten great trades- but usually I just go an enjoy the rsort.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No! You can buy this timeshare for 25% or less on the resale market.

Say no to this deal and then come visit with us on the Starwood forum to learn about your options.

Couple things to help you decided:

The maintenance fees at Starwood's Maui resort have DOUBLED since 2003!

I bought from the developer at the Maui resort and paid $45K - my week is now selling on the resale market for about $15K or less.

Last edited:

Tommart

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Developer Deals

I don't understand the details of this deal, but I also suggest looking at internet pricing.

Don't know if your timeshare is "floating" or fixed, but there's many asking for $5K for floating weeks at Westin Kauai. I bet you can get weeks for less. I don't recommend floating weeks.

My other concern is airfare. I believe that the price of oil will continue to rise and jets require oil to fly. Expect to see 10-20% annual increases in the cost to fly to Hawaii.

You may be better off buying a prime timeshare within driving distance of your home, e.g. summer beach or winter ski resort, with lower maintenance fees, and exchange when you want to go to Hawaii.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you go on vacation to vacation or to buy real estate - and to buy real estate "today"! Do not buy - that is the standard TUG mantra but it really makes sense in your shoes. In addition, a lot of people are trading into Starwood resorts through the II i(Interval International) trading program. I love the Sheratons as well but you can trade in. Lastly, only after you have really learned about timeshares do you need to consider the fancier "bells and whistles" of the SPG points etc. You can do quite well without them. So yes, use timeshares, check out ebay and Redweek.com for potential sales and enjoy - but do not buy retail and do not buy today. Enjoy the beach instead. Funtime

Bill4728

Reaction score
I don't understand the details of this deal, but I also suggest looking at internet pricing.

Don't know if your timeshare is "floating" or fixed, but there's many asking for $5K for floating weeks at Westin Kauai. I bet you can get weeks for less. I don't recommend floating weeks.

Almost all TS weeks at the Westin resort are floating weeks, so unless you must go during the xmas holiday do not worry about buying a floating week at this resort.

Take your time and look into all your options as far as buying a westin/sheraton TS. Some of them can be purchased really cheap (like the Sheraton in AZ) and others (like the Westin in Maui) are a lot more. You need to know why before you decide which one is right for you.